• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever ODI bowler

Best ever ODI bowler

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smash84

The Tiger King
It has to be Wasim Akram. In ODIs there can't be anyone else (maybe Waqar gives him some competition) but in ODIs Akram it is.

smash84

The Tiger King
No other bowler has bowled so consistently well in the first 15 overs as well as the last 10 death overs as Wasim Akram.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty tough really. There are more parameters in ODI bowling to judge a bowler on than in tests IMO. ER and wicket-taking ability both have to be considered.

Pollock, McGrath, Wasim, Garner, Murali, Waqar, Donald, Ambrose all are worthy of mention. Going for Murali for an ER of under 4, having played all of 2000's and also has the second highest 5-wicket hauls after Waqar.

Wasim is a fantastic option too. Really close one that. Also, had Waqar had a slightly better ER, I may have chosen him.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Tend to think it's between McGrath and Wasim. Garner looks the best on paper but played the least.

smash84

The Tiger King
Saqlain worth a shout.
He was absolutely fantastic ODI bowler in the 90s (even a decent bowler as well). He even beat Waqar to fastest 100 and 200 wickets in ODI. Waqar completed his 100 wickets in 59 matches and Saqlain got there in 55. He was an outstanding bowler who never failed to come on and bowl to the batsmen in the last 10 overs. I didn't watch Murali in the 2000s but in ODIs I rate Murali slightly lower because he didn't bowl as much in the last 5-10 overs as Saqlain or Wasim Akram. I am not sure though because I didn't follow him that closely in the 2000s. But in the 90s as far as I recall Murali didn't come on too much in the last 5-10 overs and Wasim and Saqlain always did that. Having said that Saqlain had fallen away in the 2000s and of course Murali is the top choice spinner for an All time ODI XI.

Akram, McGrath, Garner and Murali will form my bowling attack for an all time ODI XI.
I actually might pick Waqar or Donald for ODIs over McGrath. Waqar was a little expensive but his wicket taking prowess is unmatched. The 1993 tri-series highlights involving Pak, SA, and WI have to be seen to see Waqar's unplayable yorkers in ODIs at their best. Might be able to find those wickets on youtube.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hard to go against Garner. To watch clips of him bowl you'd think he was the perfect ODI bowler, pretty much everyone who saw him said he was the perfect ODI bowler, and his stats are precisely those of a perfect ODI bowler.