• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question for SA cricket fans

Fred Jr

Cricket Spectator
Have any of you heard of a young all rounder, about 19 i think, named Andries Kruger? I go to a boarding school in sussex, UK, and he left my school in July 2002 after winning Wisden Young all rounder of the year, and the word at my school is that he is now playing FC cricket in his native South Africa - I wonder if anyone could confirm or deny this? He bowls fast-medium and is a aggressive top order batsman, he went out in style at my school with 868 runs in 17 matches at 82.27 in his last year, including two hundreds in successive 35-over matches and a top score of 122*, and 43 wickets at 14.63 with a best of 6-17 - not bad! I'm fairly sure those figures are accurate, but if not then they are pretty close. He has been described as the best player ever to play for our school (which has turned out 3 England Test players) and broke the record for most runs in a season. Don't worry I'm not stalking him or anything, just that our head teacher made a really big deal of awarding him with a bat at the end of last year for his services to school cricket or something and he read out those figures, or at least something close to those figures.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's the young man I heard of who was using the 'Woodworm Wand' a year or so ago, right? Before Freddie was using it.

I cannot find anything in Cricinfo (and Cricinfo South Africa sucks sooooooo much)

Fred Jr

Cricket Spectator
Yes indeed he was, I think he has the distinction of being the first player to score a hundred while using it - our school gets a constant supply of them, as they were developed by a former pupil! How did you know about him? If he's not actually playing FC cricket in SA then how did you hear of him?

Well, if he goes on to represent SA at Test level (and don't rule it out), then I can have the honour of saying that I have played our school equivalent of backyard cricket with him - and got him out caught and bowled! OK, granted we were playing on concrete with a tennis ball, but they all count, right?

The Wormwood Wand is a really weird bat to use - it is quite bottom-heavy, although the notches in the shoulders can come in handy - you can get some really weird over-the-slips edges if you catch it wrong. I think I have witnessed the first player ever to hit a pull shot over gully!