• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cribbage's Standardised Test Averages (UPDATED November 2018 - posts 753-755)

Flem274*

123/5
Yeh, most of the fast bowlers who played with or against him must be wrong. Only 5/8 fast bowlers name him.

Eight former fast bowlers pick their all-time and current favourite quicks | Cricket | ESPNcricinfo.com
this in no way refutes my post which addresses pews rankings as a good counterweight to conventional wisdom and opinions of former players. they also create good discussion when people aren't getting hung up on mcgrath > lillee being the end of the universe.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
this in no way refutes my post which addresses pews rankings as a good counterweight to conventional wisdom and opinions of former players. they also create good discussion when people aren't getting hung up on mcgrath > lillee being the end of the universe.
I think it's generally accepted by most ppl now that McGrath > Lillee.

Siddle > Lillee (especially by the margin these standardised averages have produced) is completely and utterly outrageous.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I mean, yeah, they probably are completely wrong. Everyone has their prejudices and their rose-tinted specs - even (I'd argue especially) former cricketers.
They're probably wrong about their opinion that Lillee was the best they've seen?

Ok.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't even read it tbh. Favourite, sure. But let's not claim that Ian Chappell and three others reckoning DK is the best ever is some objective measure of his quality. I mean, have we forgotten the various SK Warne rankings that, iirc, conveniently rates his mate Darren Berry as a better cricketer than Steve Waugh?

At least Siddle > Lillee comes from a flaw in the system that can be ironed out, not Cribb saying "I ****ing hate him".

Sure, cricketer ratings are better than a random bloke on an online forum. But they're still both subjective as ****.

Careful statistical analysis placed within proper context and with appropriate methodological caveats >>> boomer feels.

But yeah obviously Lillee was an awesome bowler who is far better than Peter Siddle. But jfc don't throw the baby out with the bathwater thanks to one weird result.

Last edited:

Burner

International Regular
I actually agree that Siddle should not have been placed 30 places above Lillee. He is only 25 places above Lillee as per my calculations. Bloke could bowl everywhere.

Logan

U19 Captain
A bowler like Lillee would always be loved. He was express fast, aggressive, beautiful action and a colourful character from a powerful cricketing nation back then. The best example of a fast bowler. That doesn’t make him the best though.

aussie tragic

International Captain
It's not about was Lillee the best, in this thread it's about does he deserve to be ranked behind Siddle and exactly the same as Flintoff (Lillee took 355 wkts in 70 Test, Flintoff 219 in 78 Tests)

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The vegan king Peter Siddle is obviously a better bowler than some baby boomer who took six career wickets in Asia and the West Indies. Get over it.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Any comments on Sobers being better bowler than Andy Roberts and Colin Croft?

Stuart Broad better than Freddie Truman?
Lillee vs Siddle holds true here as well. Players who perform across the globe are rated higher than mythical heroes who gain massive mileage based on peer reputation.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Throw this quartet in the heat, dust and smoke of Chennai, Faisalabad or Kanpur. I would say they will bowl out the opposition for around 350 with Andy and Colin a four wicket haul each with Lillee food poisoned and Trueman scalping 2 tail enders slogging.

Logan

U19 Captain
Throw this quartet in the heat, dust and smoke of Chennai, Faisalabad or Kanpur. I would say they will bowl out the opposition for around 350 with Andy and Colin a four wicket haul each with Lillee food poisoned and Trueman scalping 2 tail enders slogging.

This is funny