Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Cribbage's Standardised Test Averages (UPDATED November 2018 - posts 753-755)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Hobbs average will sky-rocket. As will Grace.
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

Stanley Jackson should probably rise I reckon. Tough era he played in and still averages 48 odd.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Herbie Taylor's average will sky-rocket, I reckon. Better batsman than Trumper et al. IMHO. Scoring freely on tricky wickets might be the more 'talented' thing to do but toughing it out and scoring more runs is what matters in the end. Averaging 50 and scoring 400+ runs in the series Barnes took 49 in is freakish IMO.
    Last edited by Teja.; 12-11-2010 at 07:46 AM.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Ooh, them's fightin' words.

A man who had the reputation as one of the best opening bowlers in the world, and had the stats to back it up, also batted in the top six of a side dubbed "The Invincibles" and held his own?

Combine that with how, even in a discussion pertaining to all-rounders, he is often left out when talking about all-time great cricketers makes rather an under-rated player.
    JBH was referring to Miller's bowling alone.

In fact, I too feel the same as JBH on Miller's bowling. Some say that he's comparable to Lindwall (looking at statsguru alone), but there are a number of reasons he should be considered a clear level below Lindwall as a bowler.

Of course, there's no denying the fact that Miller was a fantastic cricketer and probably 'the' most rounded among all great all-rounders.
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Of course, there's no denying the fact that Miller was a fantastic cricketer and probably 'the' most rounded among all great all-rounders.
    Don't think Miller is under-rated. Got ranked in top 15 ESPN's legends of cricket, and also in CW 50. Think Aubrey Faulkner and Vinoo Mankad are highly under-rated all-rounders.
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Don't think Miller is under-rated. Got ranked in top 15 ESPN's legends of cricket, and also in CW 50. Think Aubrey Faulkner and Vinoo Mankad are highly under-rated all-rounders.
    I do feel too he is under-rated. His stats are quite similar to Imran I think and he is usually not talked about as much. That might be because Imran led his side very well but Miller's stats do seem to be quite similar to Imran's at first glance. Although I haven't taken a closer look at his stats.

Aubrey Faulkner is one guy who is massively under-rated. This anantha guy who does some analyses and writes articles that sometimes show up on cricinfo ranked Faulkner right up there as the most rounded of all rounders with Keith Miller and Imran Khan following suit IIRC.

Haven't heard too much about Mankad tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Haven't heard too much about Mankad tbh.
    Consider these facts

1. Mankad held the record of completing 1000 runs and 100 wickets in fewest matches until Botham broke it. Manakad still is the second fastest to do that.
    2. Mankad is one of the only 4 cricketers who have scored at least one double hundred and taken at least one 10WM haul. (Ian Botham is another, guess who are other two. Those are surprising names)
    3. Mankad was among the four cricketers (along side Tendulkar, Gavaskar and Kapil) who were unanimous picks in Cricinfo's all time India XI. Goes to show his stature.

I will rank him among the 5 greatest Indian cricketers.

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    In fact, I too feel the same as JBH on Miller's bowling. Some say that he's comparable to Lindwall (looking at statsguru alone), but there are a number of reasons he should be considered a clear level below Lindwall as a bowler.
    Genuinely interested in knowing what these reasons are.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by JBH001 View Post
    Disagree wrt Miller. I think him over-rated.
    And why...?

Miller underrated in discussions of ATG IMO. Always gets forgotten in favour of Imran and co
    Last edited by GotSpin; 14-11-2010 at 12:31 AM.
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

Consider these facts

1. Mankad held the record of completing 1000 runs and 100 wickets in fewest matches until Botham broke it. Manakad still is the second fastest to do that.
    2. Mankad is one of the only 4 cricketers who have scored at least one double hundred and taken at least one 10WM haul. (Ian Botham is another, guess who are other two. Those are surprising names)
    3. Mankad was among the four cricketers (along side Tendulkar, Gavaskar and Kapil) who were unanimous picks in Cricinfo's all time India XI. Goes to show his stature.

I will rank him among the 5 greatest Indian cricketers.
    Sounds impressive indeed. The point number 2 that you have raised is not that great though. Wasim Akram was one of those guys who did that as well. Can't think of the fourth one. Jason Gillespie???

Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    And why...?

Miller underrated in discussions of ATG IMO. Always gets forgotten in favour of Imran and co
    I agree. From what I have read he was more talented batting wise than Imran and that Imran was probably a somewhat better bowler. Not too much to choose between them at first glance.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars

I agree. From what I have read he was more talented batting wise than Imran and that Imran was probably a somewhat better bowler. Not too much to choose between them at first glance.
    Indeed. They have almost exactly the same stats.

And why...?

I put Miller in top dozen cricketers and regard him the second greatest Aussie after Don. All experts rate him highly too. May be the CWers under-rate him. Not sure.

Sounds impressive indeed. The point number 2 that you have raised is not that great though. Wasim Akram was one of those guys who did that as well. Can't think of the fourth one. Jason Gillespie???
    Allan Border

I put Miller in top dozen cricketers and regard him the second greatest Aussie after Don. All experts rate him highly too. May be the CWers under-rate him. Not sure.

Allan Border
    Would never have guessed that tbh ........at least both are aussies

Cricket Champion!
    Indeed. They have almost exactly the same stats.
    The difference being Miller performed with both bat and ball throughout his career. Miller was one of the greatest fast bowlers of his time and a genuine middle order bat - #5 for the Invincibles. Imran on the other hand became a better batsman as he bowled less and didn't really have a career with superlative performances with both disciplines. In the end Imran made himself a fine all-round player but didn't carry the burden the likes of Botham or Miller had.

Faulker is a more interesting one. He is a player I don't know much about but looks like he could be the greatest of them all.
    ★★★★★

Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread Information