Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Cribbage's Standardised Test Averages (UPDATED November 2018 - posts 753-755)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    To a certain extent, that happens to almost every great cricketer. Look at Dravid and Ponting. It's a sign of a truly remarkable player to keep a world-class standard over their whole career.

Oh and I expect Matthew Hayden to lose at least 10 points.
    Yeah but those two were being wheeled out when they were way past their best,even more than most.Dravid is having a great year and Ponting while on a downward curve is still averaging well over 40 in the last couple of years which in itself isn't too shabby,it just appears worse for him as he was so good for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    To a certain extent, that happens to almost every great cricketer. Look at Dravid and Ponting. It's a sign of a truly remarkable player to keep a world-class standard over their whole career.

Oh and I expect Matthew Hayden to lose at least 10 points.
    Goes down to 44, so 6 points or so. I remember him going down a few more when I experimented just leaving B/Z out completely though.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Waqar and Botham are the same in my opinion.Their careers were in two parts.The time when they were brilliant and then the ridiculous number of years when they picked on reputation which made their remarkable stats suffer because the selectors had stupid hopes that they could rekindle former glories.
    Lol, No.

Botham was an ATG bowler and a very good batsman for a period of time and then went on to become a **** cricketer and his statistics reflect that, He has statistics good enough to be an ATG in the league of Kapil but not in the league of sustained excellence such as Imran and Miller.

Waqar was beyond-ATG bowler and then went on to become a bowler of the quality of say, Jason Gillespie for five more years and then in the last three years of his career was a bowler who still averaged 29 and struck at around 50 which is extremely good, still. His bowling record is up there with the very best. It is crazy to say he was picked on reputation alone.

The difference is essentially this:-

Botham was as good as the other legendary all-rounders at their peaks for half-a-decade then completely fell away.

Waqar on the other hand, was insanely good for the half a decade with wpm and SR quite freakish for a pacer and still at an absurd average and then was plainly a good-very good bowler for the rest of his career with the ability of a godly spell out of nowhere. Despite this, His bowling in the half-a-decade was so good that it statistically compensates for him not being a great bowler in the latter part of his career which is not the case with Botham.
    Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? – Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

International Debutant
    Surprising that Irfan Pathan's average goes down considering that his average is helped considerably by performances against Bangladesh and post-2004 Zim.

Quote Originally Posted by shankar View Post
    Surprising that Irfan Pathan's average goes down considering that his average is helped considerably by performances against Bangladesh and post-2004 Zim.
    It's the games against Australia. Australian batsmen averaged something absolutely ridiculous in the 2000-2009 period.

It's inevitable to compare this analysis with the value of wicket analysis I posted a few days back. This analysis values all wickets against a given team during a given period similarly irrespective of whether that was the wicket of a top order or low order batsman. This results in some interesting differences between the outcomes of the two exercises. For example, this analysis punished Wasim Akram less than the other one did. Wasim has a significantly larger % of tail enders in his wickets.

I will be eagerly waiting for the results of batting analysis. Should paint a very accurate picture.
    RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

The analysis looks great. I will be looking at this in detail a bit later but you seem to have done a super job. Can't imagine the amount of work that must have gone into it. Something similar to what Ankit did a few weeks back.

Keep up the good work.

U19 12th Man
    Fantastic work Prince, much appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing the batting table. I want to see how Yousuf and Jaywardene stack up, I think Jayawardene is underrated. Would also be interesting to see Gooch. I rate him for his longevity and the attacks he faced, somehow it annoys me his average is similar to the likes of Bell and Collingwood. Hopefully this should show it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Lol, No.

Botham was an ATG bowler and a very good batsman for a period of time and then went on to become a **** cricketer and his statistics reflect that, He has statistics good enough to be an ATG in the league of Kapil but not in the league of sustained excellence such as Imran and Miller.
    Disagree wrt Miller. I think him over-rated.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JBH001 View Post
    Disagree wrt Miller. I think him over-rated.
    Ooh, them's fightin' words.

A man who had the reputation as one of the best opening bowlers in the world, and had the stats to back it up, also batted in the top six of a side dubbed "The Invincibles" and held his own?

Combine that with how, even in a discussion pertaining to all-rounders, he is often left out when talking about all-time great cricketers makes rather an under-rated player.
    Join the CW Commentary Discord - https://discord.gg/2cYpfrf

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Where's the batting list, ****?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

In b4 Lara/Sachin/Ponting/Sobers fanboys try to portray the calculation significantly flawed?
    Greatest Test XI::: S Gavaskar, M Hayden, V Richards , B Lara, S Waugh, A Border A Gilchrist, I Khan*, S Warne, M Marshall, D Steyn
    Reserves: J langer, J Kallis, K Sangakkara, M Muralitharan

Greatest ODI XI::: A Gilchrist, S Tendulkar, R Ponting*, V Richards, M Dhoni, M Bevan, S Pollock, W Akram, S Warne, J Garner, M Muralitharan
    Reserves: A deVilliars, B Lara, R Hadlee, V Kohli

Haha Ponting's is gonna get a real hammering.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

Banned
    Sunny's average will probably sky rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    Sunny's average will probably sky rocket.
    I think most sub-continental batsmen might come down somewhat.

Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread Information