• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team of the 2010s

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
One thing that may count against Ajmal is the fact that if he and Swann play on for another 3-4 years is that Ajmal will play 20ish tests and Swann 40+ so that means Swann will get 50-100 wickets more than Ajmal. People may be swayed by number of wickets almost by default. Basically at the end of the decade Swann will probably have over 300 victims and Ajmal just over 200 at a very similar average so many will just go for Swann.

Same problem for Herath, plays less games so will get fewer wickets long term.
Probably, but Ajmal/Herath play more matches in spin friendly conditions, which helps them get more wickets. Particularly in Herath's case, they also play the minnows more, which again gives him a chance to take more wickets, not only that, but Herath carries the SL attack, so he gets more opportunity to take big hauls. I think your argument may work for something like Kumble vs Swann, but probably not for these three, the weight of wickets isn't that great IMO

King Pietersen

International Captain
Tamim Iqbal
Phillip Hughes
Hashim Amla
AB De Villiers +
Eoin Morgan
Cameron White *
Steven Smith
Shakib Al-Hasan
Stuart Broad
Dale Steyn
Stephen Finn

Like that team a lot. Was stuck with the final selection, it was between another fast bowler, White, Williamson and Khawaja. In the end I went for the man I believe will be the next Australian captain. He's very highly rated as a captain, has done very well in the ODi and T20 sides in recent times, is the current Australian A captain, and is only 27. Didn't really need another bowler in the side given I picked Smith and Shakib either, so the selection made sense.

1 guy I was also very tempted to put in was Rory Hamilton-Brown. This is a lad that I expect to definitely play Test cricket. He might not have a mega impressive Domestic record currently, but whenever I've seen him play I've been impressed. The Surrey management were obviously impressed by his character too, appointing him as Captain at the start of last season, at just 22. He has an impressive cricket brain, appears to handle pressure well and is a very fluent, and exciting batsman. I definitely see him in England colours in the not too distant future.
My god. What an awful team, and post. RHB? Iqbal? White as captain? Hughes? Morgan? Eugh, eugh, eugh. What the hell was I basing that team on? What did Cameron White do in 2010? To make up for that woeful post. I'll try again.

Alastair Cook
Shikhar Dhawan
Hashim Amla
Cheteshwar Pujara
Michael Clarke
AB De Villiers +
Angelo Mathews
Stuart Broad
Graeme Swann
Dale Steyn
James Anderson

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Prediction: in 2020 we're all going to look like idiots for picking Dhawan on the basis of one Test and some ridiculous ODI form.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It is still 2013 and I don't see any spinner appearing in the next 2-3 years who will have more impact than Swann/Ajmal. And I just think that Ajmal is a better spinner than Swann. Unless Swann does something special and Ajmal goes downhill really fast over the next 2-3 years (which is a possibility but not a big one IMO). Hence has to be Ajmal for me.

If you watch the recent matches where Junaid and Irfan both have played Irfan has always seemed more threatening and if he can last another 5 years I am sure he can do wonders at least ahead of Junaid. But which is why with Irfan I have put 3 other names since he is not as highly probably for me as the other players
Ajmal might want to prove himself outside of Asia first.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ajmal might want to prove himself outside of Asia first.
Yeah I thought that until he took 10 at Cape Town. It's over.

Still definitely not convinced he's a lock for the team of the decade because his age might prevent him playing much further into it but he's conclusively the best spinner in the world now IMO, and that comes from a big Swann fan.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is why your predictions are laughable. Dhawan has played 1 Test and you're locking him in for a team of the decade.
I said he has the edge, never said I locked him in.

Don't really like any of the options for the other opening slot.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Still definitely not convinced he's a lock for the team of the decade because his age might prevent him playing much further into it but he's conclusively the best spinner in the world now IMO, and that comes from a big Swann fan.
You're over.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year

Herath took nine at Durban and 7 at Sydney, as well as matching him in the recent 2012 tour to Sri Lanka, I think it's actually very close with Herath edging him out. The 10 fer at CT is completely on its own I should point out, on a pitch that was really turning, he didn't do much in the other 2 games I should point out as well, really don't think he offers much unless the pitch is turning a fair bit.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Herath has performed well recently but he really just isn't that good from the technical perspective of what he actually delivers IMO. Deep down I don't even believe he's the third best spinner in the world but I accept one has to give him the mantle based on his recent output. You'll be absolutely yelling at a brick wall trying to convince me he's as good as Swann or Ajmal. :p

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah I won't bother, I'm not really one for technical analysis so there's no point, although it should be considered that he carries the SL attack, even when the pitch doesn't suit him.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
myself and Maximas have already outed ourselves as major Herath fans so I won't bother articulating why he's such a good bowler, but suffice it to say that there's plenty of reason he's the top ranked spinner in the world right now.

far better than Swann IMO (I'm a Swann fan too). I'm also a Lyon fan so this is all getting a bit confusing.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Still so beyond laughable that Herath is 'far' better than Swann. I can see perhaps an argument that he is equal to Swann, although to be honest not really, but 'far' better. Crazyness to me.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
myself and Maximas have already outed ourselves as major Herath fans so I won't bother articulating why he's such a good bowler, but suffice it to say that there's plenty of reason he's the top ranked spinner in the world right now.

far better than Swann IMO (I'm a Swann fan too). I'm also a Lyon fan so this is all getting a bit confusing.
Wanna form a herath fan club?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Herath has performed well recently but he really just isn't that good from the technical perspective of what he actually delivers IMO. Deep down I don't even believe he's the third best spinner in the world but I accept one has to give him the mantle based on his recent output. You'll be absolutely yelling at a brick wall trying to convince me he's as good as Swann or Ajmal. :p
I think Swann theoretically gives much more - more bounce, quicker natural pace and probably even more revs - but Herath also has the advantage of being a better bowler at right handers, who are obviously the dominant batting style, which evens up their success a bit

Edit: Of course, less bounce isn't always a bad thing. As Spark said fairly recently, Herath hardly ever gets the ball to bounce above the stumps. Just can't afford to miss him because of how regularly his deliveries and hitting the sticks.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Swann theoretically gives much more - more bounce, quicker natural pace and probably even more revs - but Herath also has the advantage of being a better bowler at right handers, who are obviously the dominant batting style, which evens up their success a bit

Edit: Of course, less bounce isn't always a bad thing. As Spark said fairly recently, Herath hardly ever gets the ball to bounce above the stumps. Just can't afford to miss him because of how regularly his deliveries and hitting the sticks.
Herath is a master of flight IMO, no other spinner right now is able to defeat batsmen in flight as effectively as Herath. Has the best slider in world cricket right now too

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
This is why your predictions are laughable. Dhawan has played 1 Test and you're locking him in for a team of the decade.
Who else is there? Root? Warner?

None of the other options actually inspire any confidence of having a long-term, highly successful career.