• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team of the 2010s

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
would have thought Ashwin, Swann and Lyon could easily find themselves in this team if they continue to perform well for the next 5 years, I expect all of them to play for at least that long from now
Depends how long Swann plays on for (wasn't aware of the "I'll play until I'm 40" quote), and whether Lyon gets shafted by the selectors again. Ashwin is a definite possibility though, yeah, just missed him.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
1. Cook
2. Warner
3. Pujara
4. Kohli
5. Clarke
6. Mathews
7. Watling
8. Philander
9. Broad/Siddle
10. Junaid
11. Boult

The bowlers picked I think are the ones that benefit from consistency of selection and fitness- there are plenty of fast bowlers who've done well over the last 3 years and whose success is likely to continue. Pattinson, Bird and Starc are probably as good as any bowler in that list, but it's unclear how often they'll play. I've also made it a point to pick no bowler over the age of 30, so Steyn and Anderson miss out.

Cook, Warner, Pujara and Kohli are very good batsmen. As long as Warner is consistently selected as an opener I think he could be very prolific over the next 7 years. Pujara, Kohli and Cook have already nailed their spots and scored big runs. I'm not sure how much longer Clarke has in him, and I'm not sure whether Mathews really has the goods to deliver. There are probably a few batsmen around that could vie for that spot.

Watling seems to be the only competent young keeper in world cricket right now - although I haven't seen much of the WI keeper.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Nice team Hendrix, although Chandimal is a better pick for Watling IMO, also, unless you really rate Matthews' bowling, I don't quite see his value as a world 11 player, Asad Shafiq from Pakistan might be a better option.

Boult is a great pick as well, he seems to have the joint ability to swing and seam the ball whilst maintaining decent pace and excellent control

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I was unclear on Mathews. I think he actually has quite a decent technique in that he plays the ball quite late. And he's also assured of selection, so that's a bonus, but yeah there are definitely better batsmen around.

Has Chandimal been keeping in tests?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I was unclear on Mathews. I think he actually has quite a decent technique in that he plays the ball quite late. And he's also assured of selection, so that's a bonus, but yeah there are definitely better batsmen around.

Has Chandimal been keeping in tests?
Sanga no longer does,and for the last three tests they've played Chandimal has replaced Prassana Jayawardene with the gloves and the number seven spot, I honestly think this is really harsh on PJ, as he was playing well, but it looks like a fairly permanent move.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sanga no longer does,and for the last three tests they've played Chandimal has replaced Prassana Jayawardene with the gloves and the number seven spot, I honestly think this is really harsh on PJ, as he was playing well, but it looks like a fairly permanent move.
Unless another Prasanna comes along and then they revert Chandimal back to being a batsman. With some of the politics involved in SLC selection, nothing would surprise me.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Sacrilege to drop Prasanna IMO. What a phenomenal keeper. And it's not like he can't bat either.

smash84

The Tiger King
Ajmal has to be the spinner in the team of the 2010s

Let's see

Cook
Smith
Amla
Pujara
Clarke
Ab DV
Prior+
Philanderer
Boult/Siddle/Irfan/Broad
Steyn
Ajmal

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ajmal has to be the spinner in the team of the 2010s
Ajmal's 35 and Swann's 34; honestly don't see either of them going on much past the halfway point of this decade which makes it very debatable that someone else could play the duration and take the crown based on greater influence. He might be; I certainly don't think he "has to be" though.

Had a big chuckle at Irfan too. He's a 31 year old injury-prone fast bowler who has had hit fitness and ability to last five days throroughly questioned. On top of that he's already missed over a third of the decade without doing a single thing of note in Test cricket. Even if he actually was a gun bowler and had a great impact in the matches he did play this decade - which honestly I hold great scepticism towards anyway - he's not going to play anywhere near enough cricket to get near this. If you want to plug a Pakistani quick then put forward Junaid; he's younger, fitter, achieved more already this decade and just straight up a better bowler anyway.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Ajmal's 35 and Swann's 34; honestly don't see either of them going on much past the halfway point of this decade which makes it very debatable that someone else could play the duration and take the crown based on greater influence. He might be; I certainly don't think he "has to be" though.

Had a big chuckle at Irfan too. He's a 31 year old injury-prone fast bowler who has had hit fitness and ability to last five days throroughly questioned. On top of that he's already missed over a third of the decade without doing a single thing of note in Test cricket. Even if he actually was a gun bowler and had a great impact in the matches he did play this decade - which honestly I hold great scepticism towards anyway - he's not going to play anywhere near enough cricket to get near this. If you want to plug a Pakistani quick then put forward Junaid; he's younger, fitter, achieved more already this decade and just straight up a better bowler anyway.
It is still 2013 and I don't see any spinner appearing in the next 2-3 years who will have more impact than Swann/Ajmal. And I just think that Ajmal is a better spinner than Swann. Unless Swann does something special and Ajmal goes downhill really fast over the next 2-3 years (which is a possibility but not a big one IMO). Hence has to be Ajmal for me.

If you watch the recent matches where Junaid and Irfan both have played Irfan has always seemed more threatening and if he can last another 5 years I am sure he can do wonders at least ahead of Junaid. But which is why with Irfan I have put 3 other names since he is not as highly probably for me as the other players

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think Irfan and Junaid have played a test together yet, Junaid is also more effective in the SC I would've thought, definitely a better pick IMO. In the near future a working throwing law will discredit Ajmal so Swann has to get the spinner role :p. But in all seriousness I'm fairly sure Swann wants to continue playing for quite a while yet, so I'd back him

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Sacrilege to drop Prasanna IMO. What a phenomenal keeper. And it's not like he can't bat either.
Yep, it's not like he was dropped for poor performance either, but Sri Lanka have only played Bangladesh since he got injured so he may yet get back into the team. It was almost comical comparing Wade and PJ this last summer

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't think Irfan and Junaid have played a test together yet, Junaid is also more effective in the SC I would've thought, definitely a better pick IMO. In the near future a working throwing law will discredit Ajmal so Swann has to get the spinner role :p. But in all seriousness I'm fairly sure Swann wants to continue playing for quite a while yet, so I'd back him
there is no "workable" throwing law coming up. It will probably come up after Ajmal has retired and comfortably taken his place in the XI of the 2010s :p

Ajmal also wants to continue playing for a while. He came in the team when he was 30 unlike Swann. So I feel he has that hunger for more.

Junaid doesn't really seem to be improving too much everytime I see him and with Aamir probably returning in another 2 years time, Junaid's importance to the team will go down and you won't see him get as many opportunities as he does now. Kind of like Umar Gul

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Just thinking, all three top tier spinners right now (Herath, Swann and Ajmal) are well and truly the number on spinners in their teams, and they have all blossomed late, I imagine they will probably all want to play on for another 3-4 years depending on fitness and whatnot. TBH I'm thinking if they all play on for a similar time then Herath would actually come into my team as IMO Herath>Swann>Ajmal (all very close though)

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One thing that may count against Ajmal is the fact that if he and Swann play on for another 3-4 years is that Ajmal will play 20ish tests and Swann 40+ so that means Swann will get 50-100 wickets more than Ajmal. People may be swayed by number of wickets almost by default. Basically at the end of the decade Swann will probably have over 300 victims and Ajmal just over 200 at a very similar average so many will just go for Swann.

Same problem for Herath, plays less games so will get fewer wickets long term.

Last edited: