• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team of the 2010s

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well stephen wasn't the only one to include Cummins. Doesn't make sense though. I wouldn't pick Steyn in the Team of the 2000's, for example and the seam bowling depth this decade is a fair bit higher.
I didn't include Cummins in the team. I included him in an end of decade team he'll have played a few more tests by them. But now I've actually realised the end of the decade is only one year away. I don't know what my point was.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Will go for (predicting as on 31st Dec 2019)

Cook
Amla
Williamson
Smith
Kohli
ABdV
Bairstow +
Cummins
Rabada
Steyn
Anderson

**** spinners. Philander misses out because the **** refuses to play in conditions that don't suit him and Cummins has more variety. Smith and Williamson to bowl some filth every now and then. Sangakkara and Younis belong to 2000s, I feel. Otherwise no reason to leave them out. Bit tough on Warner too, but Cook and Amla were better in India and England.

morgieb

I didn't include Cummins in the team. I included him in an end of decade team he'll have played a few more tests by them. But now I've actually realised the end of the decade is only one year away. I don't know what my point was.
That's my point. If it was 2016 or so and you were doing a prediction I wouldn't say anything, but it's too late for him to break into the side. Good shot at a 2020's Test XI.....hopefully.

Bolo

State Captain
no, Smith is, but AB should definitely be in the team, even if you have to make him keep
AB vs AUS is pretty much the shopping list you pick the greatest batting performances of recent times from. It's a bad idea to pick on performances vs a single country but the Gulf in ability is hard to ignore.

Plus there is the fact that Smith is a FHTB who has done a whole lot of stats padding, while ABs awesome stats don't even begin to do him justice because he doesn't bother score anymore once he has won it for his team.

morgieb

AB vs AUS is pretty much the shopping list you pick the greatest batting performances of recent times from. It's a bad idea to pick on performances vs a single country but the Gulf in ability is hard to ignore.

Plus there is the fact that Smith is a FHTB who has done a whole lot of stats padding, while ABs awesome stats don't even begin to do him justice because he doesn't bother score anymore once he has won it for his team.
That's a bit of a reach. He still averages 50+ away from home.

OverratedSanity

Even ignoring the fact that this should be seen as a deficiency and not a point in his favour, its also a huge myth.

AB did his fair share of downhill skiing, in fact there was a time in 2010-12 where he boosted his stats enormously doing just that. The guy scored tons of soft declaration runs.

harsh.ag

Including Sanga and Younis:

Cook
Amla
Sanga
Smith
Kohli
Younis
ABdV +
Cummins
Rabada
Steyn
Anderson

This is a monster side.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Literally no one apart from me has younis in the team. Absolute joke. You guys are buffoons.
Younis averages 51.33 @ 3, while Williamson averages 53.91 @ 3 (and NZ is harder for batting than the UAE too - particularly in the 1st innings).

If Sanga had played for a couple more years this decade, he'd be the 3.

morgieb

Ajantha Mendis though. He's gonna be a big deal.
Remember getting into an argument with Marcuss about whether Raina or Amla would have the better career (b/c Raina but not Amla made my Team of the 2010's in 2010)

Not one of my better moments :ph34r:

OverratedSanity

Clearly a guy who doesn't bother scoring when his team is in an already excellent position, gentlemen

1st Test, Pakistan tour of South Africa at Johannesburg, Feb 1-4 2013 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

3rd Test, South Africa tour of Australia at Perth, Nov 30 - Dec 3 2012 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

3rd Test, Sri Lanka tour of South Africa at Cape Town, Jan 3-6 2012 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

2nd Test, South Africa tour of West Indies at Basseterre, Jun 18-22 2010 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

trundler

Cook walks in as the first opener. The second opener spot is contentious. Smith and Kohli at 3 and 4 respectively are locks. ABDV at 5 followed by Root/Williamson at 6. Saha can keep. Steyn and Rabada walk in. Yasir Shah has been fantastic and India's spin twins have been destructive at home but the spinner spot goes to Herath for me. Anderson walks in.

I've picked players who have played or retired this year. Clarke and Younis should fit in somewhere otherwise.

Last edited:

stephen

Younis averages 51.33 @ 3, while Williamson averages 53.91 @ 3 (and NZ is harder for batting than the UAE too - particularly in the 1st innings).

If Sanga had played for a couple more years this decade, he'd be the 3.
Sanga scored nearly 5000 runs in the 2010s. He's in the top 10 run scorers for the decade. If that's not good enough to qualify you can't have Younis either who played 9 more tests for less runs.

trundler

Late 2000s and early 10s XI

Cook
Smith
Sangakarra
Younis
Clarke
-
Dhoni
Steyn
-
-
-

Just made the obvious picks here.

Burgey

lol bloke averaging 50 away from home pads his stats. Get in the bin.

If he averaged 50 at home and 30 away you’d have a point. Bloke shouldn’t be counted down for atg numbers away just because he’s second to Bradman at home.

Just junk posting.

stephen

Cook walks in as the first opener. The second opener spot is contentious. Smith and Kohli at 3 and 4 respectively are locks. ABDV at 5 followed by Root/Williamson at 6. Saha can keep. Steyn and Rabada walk in. Yasir Shah has been fantastic and India's spin twins have been destructive at home but the spinner spot goes to Herath for me. Anderson walks in.

I've picked players who have played or retired this year. Clarke and Younis should fit in somewhere otherwise.
Amla and Warner are both statistically superior to Cook. And Amla plays in more bowler friendly conditions. I'd take him as opener over Cook, though both make good cases for selection.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Sanga scored nearly 5000 runs in the 2010s. He's in the top 10 run scorers for the decade. If that's not good enough to qualify you can't have Younis either who played 9 more tests for less runs.
I wouldn't have Younis.

Perhaps AB and Sanga could share the wicketkeeping duties. How's this:

Top 6
Warner (or Cook in Asia)
Williamson (practically had to open thanks to the likes of Guptill, Rutherford and Fulton)
Sanga
Smith
Kohli
AB