• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

which is the better batting lineup?

Which is the better batting lineup?

• Total voters

miscer

U19 Cricketer
Langer ave 45
Hayden ave 50
Ponting ave 55
Martyn ave 46
Waugh ave 51
Katich ave 46
Gilchrist ave 48

VS

Gambhir ave 50
Sehwag ave 54
Dravid ave 53
Tendulkar ave 57
Laxman ave 48
IDK who goes here lol Vijay, Pujara, Raini 42, 38, 49 respectively
Dhoni ave 40

BTW dont look at the lineups based on their performance in a particular year, now, or the end of their career, but throughout the career.And for all intents and purposes just assume a competent batsman average 40 is playing as number 6. Also you can ignore not outs for the most part as both teams have players who have high and some who have low not outs

If you simply add up the averages its
TEAM 1: 341
TEAM 2: 342

Ofcourse that isnt the whole story and TEAM 2 is a little luckier considered more of its players got rounded up while TEAM 1 only had about 3 rounded up. Either way the average scenario seems to indicate equal skill. Any thoughts?

edit: **** forgot to post a poll and i cant seem to add a poll nor delete the thread.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Langer > Gambhir
Sehwag and Hayden are pretty close I think and it's hard to say one is MUCH better than the other (Sehwag possibly edges it if you put a gun to my head)
Ponting and Dravid are also close (Ponting may edge it)
Tendulkar >> Martyn
Waugh just edges out Laxman but again pretty close
The Katich vs. new comer debate should prove interesting I'd say it's even as Katto never really dominated in this position IMO
Gilchrist >> Dhoni

Aussie with 3 wins and India with 1. Gotta say the Aussie lineup is stronger.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Assume this thread is asking for how good the batting line-ups are good overall at the time that they've batted together?

If so the form of players, and whether they were in their peak is relevant. For the Australian players 2003 is the period, and for the Indian players 2009/10 is thus relevant I guess.

I've done comparisons of how good the player was at that time

Langer > Gambhir
Sehwag = Hayden
Ponting > Dravid (2003 Ponting definitely better than 2010 Dravid)
Tendulkar > Martyn (though Martyn was damn good then)
Laxman > S Waugh (overall Waugh better, but in 2003 he was a shadow of himself and hence retired)
Katich > Raina (no point putting Katich vs. question marks really)
Gilchrist > Dhoni

So the Australian line up probably edges it.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Assume this thread is asking for how good the batting line-ups are good overall at the time that they've batted together?

If so the form of players, and whether they were in their peak is relevant. For the Australian players 2003 is the period, and for the Indian players 2009/10 is thus relevant I guess.

I've done comparisons of how good the player was at that time

Langer > Gambhir
Sehwag = Hayden
Ponting > Dravid (2003 Ponting definitely better than 2010 Dravid)
Tendulkar > Martyn (though Martyn was damn good then)
Laxman > S Waugh (overall Waugh better, but in 2003 he was a shadow of himself and hence retired)
Katich > Raina (no point putting Katich vs. question marks really)
Gilchrist > Dhoni

So the Australian line up probably edges it.
Disagree with the bolded. I don't think Katich was that good at six and his record up to that point backs that up I think. He was excellent in India if I remember correctly but wasn't that great otherwise. I'd put it as Katich at six = Raina at this point.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think we should use this Indian lineup for comparison :

Gambhir-Sehwag-Dravid-Tendulkar-Ganguly-Laxman-Dhoni

Would still take Australia's lineup, but a bit closer.

vcs

Martyn was on the verge of retirement then, but yeah if you had Langer-Hayden-Ponting-Martyn-Clarke-Hussey-Gilchrist in their primes or close to it, it would be a pretty awesome lineup.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, shame about it too. From what I saw it wasn't that he couldn't go on with it, still had the skill and the technique to score big runs. Just couldn't be bothered any more, got lazy.

vcs

Yeah, I was surprised at the way he got dismissed in some of those innings, didn't look like he cared that much. He was Australia's best batsman a few months earlier when they finally won the Champions Trophy in India, so I was expecting him to have a great series.

TumTum

Banned
Apart from the stats, the Australian line-up were less likely to collapse then the Indian counterparts. This is the biggest factor IMO.

Maximus0723

State Regular
lol where is Indian bias?

Yea, I also go with the Aussies. Though, I think it's closer than the polls suggest.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I would take the Indian line up over the Australian. Even though the Aussie line up seems much better on paper...