• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dr. Robin Smith retires

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
link goes to CW front page story

My two pennyworth -

Robin Smith is one of the few 'English' players of the last 20 years I would cross the road to see. When he was 'retired' (dropped) from international cricket in 1996, England's test side went into an uncontrolled decline for the next 3 years.

Coincidence? Maybe.

A truly great player with just stacks of guts, prepared to take one on the body for the good of the team.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith played 62 Tests averaging 43.67 in scoring 4236 runs.

He also played 71 ODI's for 2419 runs and a 39.01 average.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
In his day, a great player - maybe he was pensioned off by England a bit early, but he didn't seem to score that many relatively afterwards, so did he lose interest?

Always a shame to see someone retire, but I think he's timed it just about right - better to bow out gracefully after a reasonable season then go on too long...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Never saw him play, unless you count a few clips Ch4 dragged up. A very fine player, born in South Africa but one of England's unsung heroes. I can't remember much of a storm being kicked up when he was dropped but then you look at his stats and you realise how good a player he was. I could read those stories about his battles with the WIndies pacemen all day! If only we had a player with his ability and temprement, not to mention pride, now.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Sad to see another great player retire..
I felt his loss when he retired from my hamspshire team after my first season in WCCC... he was a constant performer and a great leader to a young side.. eg tremlett etc..!
Im sure he will be missed a lot by heaps of his fans and especially everyone at hampshire !

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The Judge will definitely go down as a Hampshire great, but I think his leaving the England scene when he did will benefit his figures.

He's not scored a mountain of runs since he was dropped, and if the review I read on that inferior Cricket website ****info was right, the management wanted him to spend more time on Cricket and less on making money...

Bazza

International 12th Man
Being a local, I can tell you that Robin said being dropped by England at 32 for being too old (!) seriously affected his confidence and in hindsight he probably never recovered.

Just checked and the last 6 years he has average 40, 40, 19, 21, 36 and 37.

So he was obviously still a very good player in 1998 and 1999 but for some reason it all went pearshaped for a couple of years there (possibly because he was concentrating more on the captaincy than his batting?). The new pitch at the Rose Bowl didn't help either, one of the worst in county cricket, it's stil settling down and received criticism after the ODI between South Africa and ZImbabwe there in June.

Still he bounced back well to prove he could still play and appears to have gone out at the right time, albeit with a slight whimper due to suffering with injuries this year.

From cricinfo:

"In the first Test against West Indies at Edgbaston in 1995, the first ball of the match shot over the batsman's head, eluded the wicketkeeper as well, and flew away for four byes. Poor old Jason Gallian, making his Test debut, broke his hand, and Alec Stewart was banged on the gloves so often he couldn't hold the bat on the third - and final - morning. England were demolished by an innings, but Smith top-scored twice, with 46 out of 147 and, after opening in the second-innings collapse to 89 all out, possibly the finest 41 in Test history as the West Indian fast bowlers rampaged in on a two-paced pitch of variable bounce that might have been custom-built for the Ambrose & Walsh Demolition Company.

Within a year, though, Smith was gone for good from the Test side. He was a casualty of the disappointing 1995-96 season, even though he made 66 in South Africa in what turned out to be his last Test - and 75 and 25 in his last two one-dayers, at the 1996 World Cup. Smith certainly was written off too soon, but equally after that rejection he never made the weight of runs at county level that would have demanded a recall, not in the same way as, say, those perennial in-and-outers Graeme Hick and Mark Ramprakash. Smith finished with 49 first-class centuries, while Hick has piled up more than 120 and Ramps is approaching 70."

That is typical Smith, strong against pace but perceived to have a weakness against spin. Strange then, that his best averages were recorded against Sri Lanka (67), India (63) and Pakistan (44)! Smith averaged 49 in England from 36 tests (no mean, especially considering 10 of those were against WI and another 10 against AUS). By comparison, Thorpe averages 41 in England, STewart 40, Atherton 38 and Hussain 36.

He was the 98th player to score 26,000 FC runs and sits in 9th on the Hampshire list with over 18,000.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Always loved watching The Judge play. Two incidents stick out for me; his six on the WACA in the 1992 WC against India over mid-wicket (one of the biggest hits I ever saw) and his 167* against the Aussies in England in 1993 and how he took Paul Reiffel apart that day. Great player with guts galore. England suffered in dropping him.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I remember two things about Smith, that he could strike the ball extremely hard (like a baseball slugger) and that he sucked at playing spin...big time!