• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb's most overhyped players.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
List players that you think get too much credit for their performances.

Andrew Flintoff
Graeme Swann

Noble One

International Vice-Captain

Andrew Flintoff
Graeme Swann
Any reason why? I don't think Swann gets enough credit from neutral fans. His performances are extraordinary considering he bowls a pure orthodox off-spin style.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Disagree with Flintoff, when he was good he was very good. Had such an impact on the game. Especially with the ball.

Injuries didn't help, but for a period there he was outstanding with the ball for England.

morgieb

Any reason why? I don't think Swann gets enough credit from neutral fans. His performances are extraordinary considering he bowls a pure orthodox off-spin style.
More English fans thinking they're the massiah's. Mind, it's probably understandable.

Might have a valid point about neutrals, mind.

morgieb

Disagree with Flintoff, when he was good he was very good. Had such an impact on the game. Especially with the ball.

Injuries didn't help, but for a period there he was outstanding with the ball for England.
He's deffo good, but it's like he's the best all-rounder ever by some people.

But yeah, they're only really over-rated by English fans, like I said in my past post.

Jarquis

Direst OP ffs.

Would say Flintoff is recognised now for what he was.

Completely agree with Noble One about Swann.

HeathDavisSpeed

What rubbish from Morgie! Swann is hardly overhyped - started out with pretty low expectations, but he's delivered time after time. As for Flintoff, you do realise that it's 2010 and not 2005 and those opinions from those heady days have been tempered somewhat by the subsequent five years?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
He's deffo good, but it's like he's the best all-rounder ever by some people.

But yeah, they're only really over-rated by English fans, like I said in my past post.
I have never met an English fan who rates Flintoff as England's greatest all-rounder. Everyone raves about his performances when talking about his peak, but always acknowledge his early years were terrible.

Everyone rates their own players higher than the competition. We wouldn't follow our teams otherwise.

howardj

International Coach
To be fair to Morg, Fred had about a two and a half year purple patch.

And yes, it was very purple but boy he served up some bludger performances outside of that window.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Mitchell Johnson - more overhyped by comenators not this forum but i'm sick of hearing the aussie commentators talk him up so much when he's so inconsitent and i don't see him as a bowling attack leader. They also love to mention how good a bat he is but in reality when was the last time he made any runs?

Ruckus

International Captain

Andrew Flintoff
Graeme Swann
AWTA.

To be clear though, just because players are overhyped doesn't mean they aren't still exceptional.

I'd add to the list Tendulkar (by sheer number of die-hard fans), and there are numerous Australian players as well like Ferguson, Warner, Johnson etc. I also think due their level of inexperience the young guns like Khawaja, Smith and Hughes have probably been a tad overhyped as well.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Any player who goes against the batting style that PEWS likes. Or if you're SS, every batsmen.