• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best oneday squad

davidvegeta24

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
this would be it
1:adam gilchrist
2:nathan astle? :O
3:sachin tendulker ;)
4:micheal beven :lipsrsealed:
cant think

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1: Adam Gilchrist
2: Sachin Tendulkar
3: Ricky Ponting/Jaques Kallis
4: Andy Flower/Brian Lara
5: Nathan Astle
6: Michael Bevan
7: Lance Klusener/Chris Cairns
8: Wasim Akram
9: Shaun Pollock
10: Shane Warne
11: Glenn Mcgrath

Eclipse

International Debutant
I would not have kallis in my one day team his to deffensive (stk rate 67) Ponting would be my number 3

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'd go with Kallis purely for his all round abilites. And if Andy Flintoff keeps up his current form he'd be in contention.

Rich2001

International Captain
I'd go with Kallis purely for his all round abilites.
Along with that I would say that although Kallis might score slow he is very consistant batsman and would be a useful player to bat through the innings while alowing people like Gilchrist to play their natural attcking games and to score quickly.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Ponting is really just as consistent as kallis there ODI avrages are almost the same Ponting 42 stk rate 76 Kallis 44 stk rate 67

If u dont play Ponting at 3 he has to be in the side some were he is the 3rd best ODI batsman acording to PWC + he is the best or equal best feilder in the owrld.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Ponting is really just as consistent as kallis there ODI avrages are almost the same Ponting 42 stk rate 76 Kallis 44 stk rate 67

If u dont play Ponting at 3 he has to be in the side some were he is the 3rd best ODI batsman acording to PWC + he is the best or equal best feilder in the owrld.

Rich2001

International Captain
RP - 135 matches
- 4946 runs @41.22
- 28, 50's
- 9, 100's
- 15, not outs
- Percentage of teams score 16.0%
also a highest score of 145

JK - 147 matches
- 5156 runs @ 44.07
- 35, 50's
- 8, 100's
- 25, not outs
- Percentage of team score 15.9%
also a highest score of 113

Your right it's close but not only do the sats back up that Kallis is the slightly the better of the two, but the main reason that I picked Kallis is the fact he is also a good bolwer as well.

But also if you take in to account that RP has played for Australia means he has alot less work to do over the years where the openers/top order have probley done half the work before he has batted or the bolwers have bolwed the other team for a small total.

It's personal choice you will always have a difference of opinion.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Drop Wasim and play them both.

It's not as if the team's short of bowlers is it?

1: Adam Gilchrist
2: Sachin Tendulkar - can bowl at a push
3: Ricky Ponting
4: Brian Lara
5: Michael Bevan - regular-ish 1 day bowler
6: Jacques Kallis - strike bowler :p sometimes...
7: Chris Cairns - striker bowler
8: Lance Klusener - wicket taking bowler
9: Shaun Pollock - strike bowler
10: Shane Warne - no words needed
11: Glenn McGrath - strike bowler

Wasim not needed!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My criticism of your side is that you have little in the way of variation. You have two fast bowlers (Pollock and McGrath) of similar pace and style, and one spinner as your main strikers (Chris Cairns and Kallis, whilst very good bowlers, aren't really main strikers in my eyes). Someone like Wasim adds some variation and unlike the other two, can swing the ball. This covers the team in the event of the pitch being not conducive to movement off the seam. Plus he can bat pretty well too!

Plus, batting Kallis at 6 is a bit rough on the guy isn't it? He's a natural born 3, hence why I think you need either him OR Ponting in the side.

Other than that, I like the way you think! :D

[Edited on 4/3/02 by Top_Cat]

Rich2001

International Captain
It would'nt really matter who was bowling when the batting is that strong you would still back them to chase any score.

Eclipse

International Debutant
take away those 25 not outs and rickys 15 and then who has the better avrage + better stk rate.

Kimbo

International Debutant
have you considered ntini, while he isn't a great test bowler he was really impressive - at least in the triangular series i saw as a one day bowler.

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
1. Tendulkar
2. Gilchrist (wicketkeeper)
3. Ponting (captain)
4. Astle
5. Bevan
6. Rhodes
7. Klusener
8. Pollock
9. Warne
10. Lee/Vaas