• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No full South Africa tour of Australia until 2021

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
The players would be happier with a shorter tour that only involves either tests or one dayers, no idea if they would like a 5 test series vs SA, would seem a good idea but i dont think scheduling would ever suit both countries, so its a moot point. They way its all setup now its hard to even squeeze the Ashes 5 tests in. England has 7 tests most seasons, we have to play SL now when we wouldnt ideally like too, but gotta fit em in. 3 test series v SA is all thats gonna happen. At least now they wont be back to back, which hasnt been ideal since they started doing it in 93.

Themer

U19 Cricketer
Taking the particular issues between the two teams in question I don't see the need for "proper" tours in this day and age. I'd be quite happy to see Australia (for example) come to England or us to Australia for an ODI series every now and again even if it isn't in an Ashes year/tour like they did earlier this year.

Would make a refreshing change to not have to watch the same teams face each other repeatedly over a period of a month plus at times. If you broke it up a bit more I could see it also breaking up the monotony of watching a far superior team repeatedly beating a lowly ranked side over the period. As long as they play more than two test series it should be worth it in my opinion.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is a bit ridiculous that Australia always are able to have a test on Boxing Day/New Year and never have to travel during that period. I can understand why other Cricket boards would demand to have an exchange agreement.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It is a bit ridiculous that Australia always are able to have a test on Boxing Day/New Year and never have to travel during that period. I can understand why other Cricket boards would demand to have an exchange agreement.
Because we're the only test nation in the Southern Hemisphere that can get good crowds to our tests? From a marketing POV, it's probably fair enough imo.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Plus only NZ SA and Aus actually host a Boxing day test, and NZ crowds are awful, plus we wouldnt want NZ coming here for those tests so its not a problem. SA are the only country that has a problem, because they feel they are missing out on the bonanza crowds they *might* get if Aus tours there in Dec/Jan. None of the other test nations could give a rats arse what we do with the boxing day test as it doesnt clash with their schedule. I think its just a case of saying no to Sa and copping whatever we get from them, which is a whole lot better than losing the money from us not hosting boxing day and new years tests.

All in all, lotta hoopla over not very much at all.

howardj

International Coach
I can understand the principle of recipricocity, however the crowds they pull to Tests in SA (even when Australia do play there) are appalling and hardly put SA in a strong bargaining position.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can understand the principle of recipricocity, however the crowds they pull to Tests in SA (even when Australia do play there) are appalling and hardly put SA in a strong bargaining position.
Zing.

Like I said, only Australia and England really pull adequate crowds. And you can't play in England unless you want your pitch to be covered in snow..... :p

taipan1

U19 12th Man
On the last Aus tour 80k+ piched up at Wanderers and 50k+ at Newlands. And that for games played in February.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good theory

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
On the last Aus tour 80k+ piched up at Wanderers and 50k+ at Newlands. And that for games played in February.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good theory
So half capacity for the Wanderers and 40% full for Newlands, wow.

taipan1

U19 12th Man
And bigger crowds than the WACA or the Gabba.

And as I said the tests were played in Feb which is an extremely bad scheduling time in SA. The crowds would have been bigger in Dec/Jan

pup11

International Coach
Meh. Austrlalia playing South Africa in either Tests or ODIs every single year sounds like good news to me. I don't care if they don't play both in the same year, personally.
Yeah, something like that tends to be working well with India, though would love to see Australia - RSA contest in a 4 test series, instead of the current 3 test.