• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pre-War Cricket Draft Voting Thread

Whose team is best?

• Blakus's Team

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flyonthewall's Team - Morbo's Disciples

• Fredfertang's Team

• Marcuss's Team

• Total voters

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
OK, as the Pre-War Cricket Draft selections have now been completed, the time is upon us to conduct a voting thread to decide who has the best team(s) out of the ones selected. Voters will be able to pick their top three sides (this includes participants in the draft, although I do request that you do not vote for your own side), and the voting will close a week from now. And now to the teams.

Aussie's Team[/B] - Ground: The Gabba, Brisbane
George Challenor
Arthur Richardson
Jack Ryder (capt)
Charles Macartney
John Gunn
Jack Sharp
Jock Cameron (wkt)
Jimmy Sinclair
Tich Freeman
JJ Kotze
Tibby Cotter

Blakus's Team
- Ground: Lords
Vijay Merchant
Bill Brown
WG Grace
Patsy Hendren
Tom Hayward
Monty Noble (capt)
Billy Murdoch (wkt)
George Hirst
Hugh Trumble
Bobby Peel
Jack Hearne

Flyonthewall's Team - Morbo's Disciples- Ground: Adelaide Oval
Stewart Dempster
Charles Kelleway
George Gunn
Stan McCabe
Eddie Paynter
Allan Steel (capt)
Roy Kilner
Bert Oldfield (wkt)
Harold Larwood
Clarrie Grimmett
Ken Farnes

Fredfertang's Team
- Ground: Kensington Oval
Jack Russell
Harold Gimblett
Douglas Jardine (capt)
Walter Hammond
Muarice Leyland
Stanley Jackson
Frank Foster
Alfred Lyttleton (wkt)
Arthur Mailey
Ted Mcdonald
Tom Richardson

Himmanv's Team - Ground: Old Trafford, Manchester
Cyril Walters
Arthur Shrewsbury
KS Duleepshinji
Phil Mead
Tip Foster (capt)
Charles Bannerman
George Ulyett
Jack Blackham (wkt)
Hedley Verity
Bill O'Reilly
Frederick Spofforth

Marcuss's Team - Ground: Wanderers, Johannesburg
Bill Ponsford
Bruce Mitchell (capt)
Ernest Tyldesley
Jack Fingleton
Vernon Ransford
Aubrey Faulkner
Les Ames (wkt)
Morris Nichols
Bill Voce
Colin Blythe
Bill Bowers

MIchaelf7777777's Team - Charter 77 - Ground: Sydney Cricket Ground
Jack Hobbs
Herbie Collins (capt)
George Headley
Bobby Abel
Warren Bardsley
Wilfred Rhodes
Jack Gregory
George Giffen
Sammy Carter (wkt)
Bill Lockwood
Reginald Schwarz

Pasag/Matt 79's Collaboration Project Team
- Ground: Melbourne Cricket Ground
Victor Trumper
Herbert Sutcliffe
Clement Hill
CB Fry
Warwick Armstrong (capt)
Clifford Roach
Learie Constantine
Billy Bates
Billy Barnes
Bill Whitty
Herbert Strudwick (wkt)

Somerset's Team
- Ground: Trent Bridge
Andy Sandham
Johnny Tyldesley
KS Ranjitsinjhi
Archie Maclaren
Herbie Taylor
Joe Hardstaff Jnr.
Johnny Briggs
George Duckworth (wkt)
George Lohmann
Charlie Turner
JJ Ferris

Zaremba's Team - Fists of Zaremba - Ground: Headingley
Bill Woodfull (capt)
Reggie Spooner
Archie Jackson
Alan Kippax
Frank Woolley
Gilbert Jessop
Dick Lilley (wkt)
Maurice Tate
Gubby Allen
Bert Vogler
SF Barnes

Happy Voting Everyone!

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'll let you do it f_o_s because I think your permissions are actually set up properly, so you won't need to create a separate thread. :p

Himannv

International Coach
Voted for Somerset. Fantastic bowling attack and some good batsmen in there as well. Was between him and Blakus for me but all in all many great teams.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Himmanv's team looks great too. Bowling attack comprising O'Reilly, Spofforth and Verity. Among batsmen Shrewsbury, Duleep and Phill Mead are awesome. Will wait for a while before casting my vote though as I am ignorant about a few names in those teams :ph34r:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Somerset's team is mouthwatering but I fear those Victorian bowlers may struggle to dismiss the ruthlessly efficient professional batsmen of the inter war period cheaply enough so keeping one eye on its batting, and the other on the great SF Barnes, I think the Fists of Zaremba would come out on top

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
No write-ups? Always the best aspect of voting and comparing teams.

I voted for Himannv. Fantastic bowlers, mixed with strong batting depth.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Almost a toss up for me between Zaremba and Himannv - in the end I've rated Zaremba's slightly higher so he gets my vote.

sifter132

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I really like the Pasag/Matt79 combo. Strong up and down the order. Has some very underrated players in it like Sutcliffe, Clem Hill and Bill Whitty. Possibly too many batsmen, but hey you've got to get them out - and they are all good ones. Looks to be the most complete top 5 among all the teams.

And the other one I like is Michaelf7777...Hobbs and Headley are probably the 2 best batsmen available, and there's plenty of other fine players in there too: Bardsley, Rhodes, Gregory, Giffen. Very solid with a couple of superstars = an excellent team.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I really like the Pasag/Matt79 combo. Strong up and down the order. Has some very underrated players in it like Sutcliffe, Clem Hill and Bill Whitty. Possibly too many batsmen, but hey you've got to get them out - and they are all good ones. Looks to be the most complete top 5 among all the teams.

And the other one I like is Michaelf7777...Hobbs and Headley are probably the 2 best batsmen available, and there's plenty of other fine players in there too: Bardsley, Rhodes, Gregory, Giffen. Very solid with a couple of superstars = an excellent team.
How did Michaelf7777 get to pick both Hobbs and Headley? Who of these was not picked in the first round? :-O

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I am also surprised that Dudley Nourse was not picked in any team. Did he not qualify because he played tests till after the second war?

Himannv

International Coach
Yes, he played more tests after the war than before it. Its why the likes of Compton and Hutton didn't make it either.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Hard to choose between The Fists of Mr.Z and Somerset's Team.

Will go with Somerset.