• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

16th Asian Games, Guangzhou 2010

juro

U19 12th Man
I've heard it is and I've heard it isn't going to be played in 2014. There is still plenty of time for a final decision to be made...

Xuhaib

International Coach
it should be played imo allows some of the fringe/domestic players to aim for something.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Wat a match? See wat u can get wen u globalize the game? More talent, new rivalry n competition. Even the so called minnows generated the interest which the so called Major Cricketing nations cannot. Open Ur eyes everyone.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No major nation took it seriously, that's the only reason so many "shocks" happened. I fear you're the one who needs to open his eyes.

cricman

International 12th Man
My Observations After watching the final

Shabbir Rahman and Noor (Afghan player) these 2 guys hit some of the biggest 6's I have ever seen in my life 160m+

A county team needs to pick up Hamid Hasan, this guy has the potential to be the real deal.

Very Exciting Game, Afghanistan were on top until the 18th Over, there ground fielding was top notch, there Bowling was pretty good too for the most part, one spinner with a Harbajan like action but I won't nit pick.

They need a batting Coach, there only good for picking up length deliveries and Smashing them for 6 ala Razzaq, but are hopeless vs the Short Stuff & couldn't pick up the bangladeshi spin bowling, but some facilities (given the situation hopeless) and a few extra coaches they can be very good in the future.

Cricket will be played in 2014.

The event was a big deal in Pakistan, Afghanistan & Bangladesh, so IMO it was a success, Just saying India didn't send a team cause of the drug testing :ph34r:

jashan83

U19 Captain
The Tournament with some good performances with Afghanistan defeating Pak, almost defeating BD. Nep also almost pulled through against SL who were at one stage reeling at 42/7. Seeing these matches, the thing that lacked for teams like Nepal or Afg were the exposure they had. make them play against Test Teams or A teams of Test teams and in future these are the 2 nations which will come up. And cricket is like the no 1 sport in both these countries thanks to the effect of other 4 nations of South Asia.

Xuhaib

International Coach
My Observations After watching the final

Shabbir Rahman and Noor (Afghan player) these 2 guys hit some of the biggest 6's I have ever seen in my life 160m+

A county team needs to pick up Hamid Hasan, this guy has the potential to be the real deal.

Very Exciting Game, Afghanistan were on top until the 18th Over, there ground fielding was top notch, there Bowling was pretty good too for the most part, one spinner with a Harbajan like action but I won't nit pick.

They need a batting Coach, there only good for picking up length deliveries and Smashing them for 6 ala Razzaq, but are hopeless vs the Short Stuff & couldn't pick up the bangladeshi spin bowling, but some facilities (given the situation hopeless) and a few extra coaches they can be very good in the future.

Cricket will be played in 2014.

The event was a big deal in Pakistan, Afghanistan & Bangladesh, so IMO it was a success, Just saying India didn't send a team cause of the drug testing :ph34r:
Nope.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
there is a crazy rumour going around that Pak-Afghan game was fixed.Pakistan captain Khalid Latif plays for Rashid Latif club side who is the coach of current Afghan side.
Yea....but i doubt Rashid would get involved in such a venture tbh. Especially knowing Latif's track record about/against fixing.

Last edited:

jashan83

U19 Captain
there is a crazy rumour going around that Pak-Afghan game was fixed.Pakistan captain Khalid Latif plays for Rashid Latif club side who is the coach of current Afghan side.
Till the time people like Ijaz Butt or Javed Miandad (Don know his present status) are there in the top critical positions, then people will have every reason to doubt, but lately people have started to go really overboard. This pakistani side which is Pak B and players would be dying to prove themselves to get into the pakistanti team in my viewpoint will never do fixing.

Faisal1985

Till the time people like Ijaz Butt or Javed Miandad (Don know his present status) are there in the top critical positions, then people will have every reason to doubt, but lately people have started to go really overboard. This pakistani side which is Pak B and players would be dying to prove themselves to get into the pakistanti team in my viewpoint will never do fixing.
TBH i have never doubted Miandad's loyalty to Pak cricket.

Blaze 18

Banned
Javed Miandad is not in a position to do anything. If I am not mistaken, Ijaz Butt is only answerable to the President of Pakistan, Asif Ali Zardari.

jashan83

U19 Captain
TBH i have never doubted Miandad's loyalty to Pak cricket.
Faisal though you are from Pakistan and would have a better idea, but all the fact there is one fact that makes my thought absolutely sure

Whole match fixing racket is controlled by Mr Dawood Ibrahim, the Mafia Don. Miandad was always very close to him. This closeness lead them to become relatives. Don's daughter is the wife of our cricketers Son. So it wouldn't be very easy to be in that camp. I am rather very sure of that. And about his influence, he has been a selector, coach and still has lot of influence.

jashan83

U19 Captain
Javed Miandad is not in a position to do anything. If I am not mistaken, Ijaz Butt is only answerable to the President of Pakistan, Asif Ali Zardari.
Asif Ali Zardari is himself known as Mr 10 Percent for the cuts of commission he asked for. So reporting to the President doesn't really show anything

Blaze 18

Banned
Asif Ali Zardari is himself known as Mr 10 Percent for the cuts of commission he asked for. So reporting to the President doesn't really show anything
Nah, you misunderstood me. What I am saying is that Ijaz Butt is answerable to only Asif Ali Zardari, who as you rightly mention, is not the most honest man around himself. This means Ijaz Butt runs the whole show, and there is little Javed Miandad can do about it.

jashan83

U19 Captain
Nah, you misunderstood me. What I am saying is that Ijaz Butt is answerable to only Asif Ali Zardari, who as you rightly mention, is not the most honest man around himself. This means Ijaz Butt runs the whole show, and there is little Javed Miandad can do about it.
:)

Xuhaib

International Coach
agree re:Javed he can be many things but match fixing is not something I would associate him with.

Faisal1985

Faisal though you are from Pakistan and would have a better idea, but all the fact there is one fact that makes my thought absolutely sure

Whole match fixing racket is controlled by Mr Dawood Ibrahim, the Mafia Don. Miandad was always very close to him. This closeness lead them to become relatives. Don's daughter is the wife of our cricketers Son. So it wouldn't be very easy to be in that camp. I am rather very sure of that. And about his influence, he has been a selector, coach and still has lot of influence.
His association with Dawood Ibrahim and the marrying of his son to his daughter in no way says that Miandad is in to fixing himself or using his powers to involve in such deeds.

Javed is the guy who told Imran on the eve of WC1992 final that around 3-4 of his batsmen he suspects have fixed the game and are going to throw there wicket away. Based on this info Imran acted to promote himself ahead of all others with Miandad to setup that match winning partnership.

People say a lot of things about Miandad being this or that, but as far as my understanding is as a devout Pak cricket follower Miandad has never been even implicated in match fixing scandals let alone being down right part of it.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
No major nation took it seriously, that's the only reason so many "shocks" happened. I fear you're the one who needs to open his eyes.
Ya keep thinking this way n keep watching same srilanka vs new zealand matches again, again n again. One day U will be responsible for not thinking out of the box n for the criticism that cricket is some boring game played again n again between 10 countries. Given the limited resources these nations have played out of their skins. Shame that Test nations n their supporters like u couldn't see wat I see - CRICKET A GLOBAL GAME. Not taking it seriously is not the mistake of these nations but the Test Nations. Taking seriously wat could Pakistan do in 2007 WC? get knocked out by Ireland? If u see every, each n every cricket world cup till date gotta an upset in it. Nobody expects South Africa or New Zealand to win Fifa world cup but still they get gud support from other members. Same goes to teams in Rugby, damn cricket is the only sport which survives for statistics n records than globalization. Shame on all of u for not welcoming these emerging nations in spite of so much struggle they face n still want to embrace the game. Now that's passion which most of the Test nations sold for money.

Last edited:

Blaze 18

Banned
Ya keep thinking this way n keep watching same srilanka vs new zealand matches again, again n again. One day U will be responsible for not thinking out of the box n for the criticism that cricket is some boring game played again n again between 10 countries. Given the limited resources these nations have played out of their skins. Shame that Test nations n their supporters like u couldn't see wat I see - CRICKET A GLOBAL GAME. Not taking it seriously is not the mistake of these nations but the Test Nations. Taking seriously wat could Pakistan do in 2007 WC? get knocked out by Ireland? If u see every, each n every cricket world cup till date gotta an upset in it. Nobody expects South Africa or New Zealand to win Fifa world cup but still they get gud support from other members. Same goes to teams in Rugby, damn cricket is the only sport which survives for statistics n records than globalization. Shame on all of u for not welcoming these emerging nations in spite of so much struggle they face n still want to embrace the game. Now that's passion which most of the Test nations sold for money.
I am sorry, but how exactly are the test nations selling themselves for money ? Full credit to the smaller nations for doing well, but you cannot deny that they were helped by not having to face stronger sides. Would Afghanistan have beaten a full strength Pakistani side, even in T20 ? Highly unlikely.

It is a bit like Bangladesh beating that joke of a West Indies side recently. On paper, it was a test series win against an established side; but in reality, it was a test series win against a team full of newbies.