• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the most important criterion for someone to be classified as an ATG?

Most important criterion for an ATG is...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TumTum

Banned
Chose Performance against best teams, because if you are a top order batsmen or opening bowler, if you perform well initially you would not be under pressure.

Bonnie Prince C

U19 12th Man
Chose Performance against best teams, because if you are a top order batsmen or opening bowler, if you perform well initially you would not be under pressure.
If someone just performs against the big teams though they would not go down as a great IMO. Fair enough if you mean their average is not hyper-inflated by matches against the likes of Bangladesh and their average of 50 has been maintain across all nations.

Bonnie Prince C

U19 12th Man
I pick longevity. Not as in their career went on for 20 years, but that they were at the top level for many years. Halfway through his career Hussey looked like a potential great, now he would just be classed as a very good batsman and would not stand up to the test of time.

TumTum

Banned
If someone just performs against the big teams though they would not go down as a great IMO. Fair enough if you mean their average is not hyper-inflated by matches against the likes of Bangladesh and their average of 50 has been maintain across all nations.
Well the question did ask to only choose 1 option. And it's not like your Longevity option is any better, I mean it doesn't even say if that player had a great average or not.

Bonnie Prince C

U19 12th Man
Well the question did ask to only choose 1 option. And it's not like your Longevity option is any better, I mean it doesn't even say if that player had a great average or not.
"Top level" meaning the elite standard, not just being a test player but being one of the best around.

Ruckus

International Captain
Longevity: No. Can play consistently poor for a long period of time.
Stats: Yes. The main thing stats don't take into consideration is the conditions in which a player has scored and whether a not a player has performed under pressure etc., however for most intents and purposes it is the best indicator of someones ability.
Aesthetics: No. One can look good while playing but not be outstanding.
Performance against best teams: No. Although this is a good indicator of a players ability, if they have scored poorly against lower quality teams, then they cannot be classified an ATG. An ATG should be able to score effectively against the majority of teams. Just because a team is of lower quality doesn't mean there aren't circumstances when a player is under pressure to help his team succeed.
Performance away from home: It is simply just a matter of opinion whether or not playing well at home or away is better. In any case, it is preferable to be good at both.
Performance under pressure: Yes and No. If a player can consistently score under pressure, then IMO they should be classified an ATG. Under pressure implies the team is requiring a knock to save the game (either avoiding a lose, or by winning). However, whilst the skill to score under pressure is undoubtedly important, it is also important to be able to score when your team is not under pressure. E.g. when your team gets of to a good start, it is unfavourable to hole out and put your team back into a pressured situation.

So overall to be classified an ATG, I think a player should not only have outstanding all-round stats, but should also have scored in pressured situations and won/saved many matches for his team.

Ruckus

International Captain
Na, its from the Micallef Program/Programme/Pogram, one of the greatest shows ever made. Newstopia was pretty good too though, however unfortunately it looks like another season is out of the question due to freaking Talkin' bout your Generation. Can see why Micallef is doing the show, cause he has hardly ever had a show which has been comercially successful, but at the same time the mainstream appeal is ruining him as a comedian.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Good luck to the guy, his past shows have been awesome. Cant stand the Generation show though.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I cannot choose just one criterion for someone to be classified as an all time great. The very definition of an all time great is very subjective, and I imagine no two people on this forum could create the exact same list of ATG players.

Everyone gripes that certain players are underrated, certain players are overrated, certain players are ATG, and certain players don't deserve ATG status. How big is the list of ATG players? 5 names only? 100? Only Don Bradman? Everyone has a personal preference.

I consider Barry Richards as an ATG. I have decided that based not on some predetermined criteria. My decision is through consideration of all the details I know about Richards, and also because the style of cricketer he was appeals to my interests as a cricket fan. I don't expect anyone else to consider Richards the same.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I cannot choose just one criterion for someone to be classified as an all time great. The very definition of an all time great is very subjective, and I imagine no two people on this forum could create the exact same list of ATG players.

Everyone gripes that certain players are underrated, certain players are overrated, certain players are ATG, and certain players don't deserve ATG status. How big is the list of ATG players? 5 names only? 100? Only Don Bradman? Everyone has a personal preference.

I consider Barry Richards as an ATG. I have decided that based not on some predetermined criteria. My decision is through consideration of all the details I know about Richards, and also because the style of cricketer he was appeals to my interests as a cricket fan. I don't expect anyone else to consider Richards the same.
I rate B Richards as a ATG based on your reasoning as well.