• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Oz rumoured to be setting up own version of IPL

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Said this in another thread

The administrators are getting carried away because they got some good crowds for some domestic matches and players like Chris Gayle were incredibly popular.

Think I've mentioned it before, but CA will probably do to 20/20 what they did to ODIs. Play them excessively until the public grows tired of it. There's no need for gimmicks or franchises.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Some of this sounds familiar.

• Australia's version of IPL will have 8 teams.
  • 2 Sydney, 2 Melbourne, 1 Brisbane, 1 Perth, 1 Adelaide, 1 Hobart.
  • Teams play each other twice before finals.
  • Tournament will be played over five weeks and replace outdated one-day games.
  • Matches to be televised on Nine and Fox Sports and sold to India and other overseas networks.
  • Starts January 2012 at all major city cricket grounds and possibly major regional areas.
  • Gaps will be left in Australia's Test calendar to ensure all superstars will be available.
  • Huge money will be offered by franchise owners to attract overseas stars.
  • Sponsors will be offered naming rights of teams.
  • Franchises will initially operate under a salary cap of between $2 million and $2.6 million
What do you think? Should we incorporate spinplay?

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
I'm on the fence.... but t20 is just boring, the only enjoyably t20 thing for me has been the champions league because its blending clubs and thats interesting (would be 5x better with actual Indian clubs not IPL)

seriously might as well just be rid of one day matches already.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It won't work.
Said this in another thread

The administrators are getting carried away because they got some good crowds for some domestic matches and players like Chris Gayle were incredibly popular.

Think I've mentioned it before, but CA will probably do to 20/20 what they did to ODIs. Play them excessively until the public grows tired of it. There's no need for gimmicks or franchises.
I dunno. I think it could work if they rid themselves of the delusions over how much it'd actually be worth. They'd definitely need regular FTA coverage, all Test players available, a lot of advertising and a consistent schedule but the rumours suggest they'd get all of those.

They'd basically have to market it and treat it like a mini football season with a consistent scheduling of games at certain times on the weekend every week to get people into routine of watching these games in the cricket season. It could work like that IMO. It's certainly not going to work on a scale large enough to justify some of the figures being bandied about though.

Jayzamann

International Regular
If I were a billionare and looking to invest, I'd be cheeky with my team names.

Adelaide Mullets. You bet your toothless face!

I'd definitely support this sort of league when and if it comes to fruition. I just hope that the respective local teams are stacked with local talent and they don't go overboard with the internationals, maybe even less so than the current IPL setup.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If I were a billionare and looking to invest, I'd be cheeky with my team names.

Adelaide Mullets. You bet your toothless face!

I'd definitely support this sort of league when and if it comes to fruition. I just hope that the respective local teams are stacked with local talent and they don't go overboard with the internationals, maybe even less so than the current IPL setup.
The problem with the franchise system is the fact that teams won't have a defined base to call upon, though. So even if we put a limit on internationals we'll still probably see Chris Duval turning out for Geelong and Xavier Doherty trundling away for Adelaide, which would be a massive turn-off for me. It happens to an extent already, obviously, but players tend to only move for opportunity rather than just completely at random.

Last edited:

Jayzamann

International Regular
Definitely, look at the birthplaces of half the current Redbacks side :(

Disconcerting amount of parochialness in that article as well. It's fairly obvious where the money to make these franchises worth their expectations is going to come from.

That being said, there's a ton of good intentions outlined in the structure of this competition, and it could be much, much worse. Looking forward to it :)

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I dunno. I think it could work if they rid themselves of the delusions over how much it'd actually be worth. They'd definitely need regular FTA coverage, all Test players available, a lot of advertising and a consistent schedule but the rumours suggest they'd get all of those.

They'd basically have to market it and treat it like a mini football season with a consistent scheduling of games at certain times on the weekend every week to get people into routine of watching these games in the cricket season. It could work like that IMO. It's certainly not going to work on a scale large enough to justify some of the figures being bandied about though.
This is presuming theres a market for it. I'm of the feeling, just like howard mentioned previously, that less is more for 20/20. There's only so much the public will want to watch of this.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is presuming theres a market for it. I'm of the feeling, just like howard mentioned previously, that less is more for 20/20. There's only so much the public will want to watch of this.
I think there's a market for it if it's marketed properly to the public. Not nearly as big as the money being spoken of suggests, but a market all the same.

That said, I've always thought that domestic cricket was a bit of an untapped market, regardless of the format of cricket. It's been treated by CA and the media as merely a breeding ground for Australian players for years and, hence, the public has treated it that way too and voted with their feet. When you think that we can get 70,000 people going to St Kilda v Richmond and millions tuning in to watch Parramatta v Canterbury, there's no doubt in my mind that cricket is big enough in this country to support a successful, marketable, serious interstate competition, whether it be T20 or 4 day cricket or something else. As long as you can get the media treating it seriously and marketing it with some intent and excitement, as long as the big stars of Australian cricket actually play in it and as long as the scheduling is consistent from week to week while it's going (one of the big hurdles involved with following domestic cricket ATM IMO) then I think it'll hold its own. It won't be worth billions but it won't run at a loss either. They need to get all that right though.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
All aussie players available,plus internationals,should be big.
Plus channel 9 picked it up,big cash.
Sell it overseas bonus,india will snap it up.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
I'll die alittle inside if this happens. look at how the IPL is going at the moment? Every season is full of scandals and the majority of the circket public deride it for being poor quality, excessive and boring after the first couple of matches and the final. I really liked australian domestic cricket as it still seemed real and not some fake entertainment tv show. Players should have loyalty to their state and should be working hard to get picked for their country not just bringing the ropes in so players can have a hit and settle for playing hits and giggles cricket. Invest in raising the salaries of players to play test cricket and encourage sides to take that as the focal point of their career. Cricket in australia in general needs more promotion going on, unless i regularly check up on the net i wouldn't have a clue who's playing who when and where and if it's shown on any channel. No wonder noones supporting it they seem to have given up.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Can only see positive things for Australia's cricket, especially test cricket, coming from this development. :thumbsup:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
India start IPL

India become #1 ranked test team.

Clearly Cricket Australia trying to follow in the footsteps of the BCCI in a desperate attempt to get Australia back up the test rankings. :ph34r:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think whether this can be successful partly depends on whether it can be successfully exported overseas. Australian market is too small to warran the money that's being brandied about. However, I hope it works, it'd be nice to have a counterpoint to the BCCI's lunacy.