• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How valuable is that wicket!

akilana

International 12th Man
I think it's fairer to say that "statistically, Kallis had a better bowling career", but it's important to remember that he was back-up to a top-notch pace attack throughout his career. It's not a surprise then that Sobers gets rated more highly in that case despite his rather "ordinary" looking bowling stats.
maybe having a great attack would have diminished his chances on bowling on good wickets because his strike bowlers would have taken most of the wickets. he's generally asked to bowl a lot of overs on flat wickets when wickets don't come easily which would spoil his record. can't prove anything but just opinions.

it's great to see mcgrath, donald and murali that high on the list. the best I got from the list was murali > warne and waqar > akram.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The list doesn't go to prove any such thing. For one big reason, amongst others, it does not take into account home and away conditions.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
maybe having a great attack would have diminished his chances on bowling on good wickets because his strike bowlers would have taken most of the wickets. he's generally asked to bowl a lot of overs on flat wickets when wickets don't come easily which would spoil his record. can't prove anything but just opinions.

it's great to see mcgrath, donald and murali that high on the list. the best I got from the list was murali > warne and waqar > akram.
Yeah. Either way, there's little in it statistically, except for that SR. So I guess we have to go by the opinions of those who watched both as bowlers.

kingkallis

International Coach
I think it's fairer to say that "statistically, Kallis had a better bowling career", but it's important to remember that he was back-up to a top-notch pace attack throughout his career. It's not a surprise then that Sobers gets rated more highly in that case despite his rather "ordinary" looking bowling stats.
Thats the main point...

Kallis was always the 4th or 5th bowler of the team while Sobers was their strike bowler. In Sobers era only Wes Hall bowled better than Sobers, maybe.

So we can easily say that a 4th or 5th option did better than the strike bowler.

kingkallis

International Coach

And thats a fact ;)

Especially Waqar > Akram. The politics ( Yes!!! Akram knows it better than anybody else ) and injuries did not let him become the 1st fast bowler to cross the 500 wickets barrier.

vcs

Thats the main point...

Kallis was always the 4th or 5th bowler of the team while Sobers was their strike bowler. In Sobers era only Wes Hall bowled better than Sobers, maybe.

So we can easily say that a 4th or 5th option did better than the strike bowler.
Hmm.. you also have to take into account the fact that batsmen would probably play the strike bowler more circumspectly as opposed to the 2nd change bowler, so that makes it a bit harder for Sobers to get his wickets. For example, Flintoff and Kallis have similar bowling stats but Flintoff is considered the superior bowler by a comfortable margin.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
And thats a fact ;)

Especially Waqar > Akram. The politics ( Yes!!! Akram knows it better than anybody else ) and injuries did not let him become the 1st fast bowler to cross the 500 wickets barrier.
I so agree with that. That's one reason why I have a thing against Akram. Even when Waqar was at his best, Akram sometimes didn't throw the ball at him. Waqar's could have been an even more sensational career but for his bowling partner.

Altaican

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Good work. Do you think, instead of taking the entire career average of the batsman as his wicket value, it is possible to take the career average of the batsman in that match in whichthe bowler took his wicket? Just kidding. Way too much work :laugh:.

Is it possible to do this sort of analysis on batsmen? Mean bowling average of the opposition attack (weighted with respect to the percentage of total match overs they bowled in that match).

I wish Player Vs. Player stats were available for all cricket matches. That would tell us how many runs a batsman scored off the leading bowlers in his career, or whether he cashed in on lesser ones and saw off the good ones. We would also know the actual value of the wicket tacken by the bowler (that is, how many runs a bowler conceded to a top batsman before getting him out).

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
The list doesn't go to prove any such thing. For one big reason, amongst others, it does not take into account home and away conditions.
You hope to get around a difference of 7% with home/away argument? ;)

Anyway, this is not Murali vs Warne thread. We can discuss this on the official thread :)

vcs

Good work. Do you think, instead of taking the entire career average of the batsman as his wicket value, it is possible to take the career average of the batsman in that match in whichthe bowler took his wicket? Just kidding. Way too much work :laugh:.

Is it possible to do this sort of analysis on batsmen? Mean bowling average of the opposition attack (weighted with respect to the percentage of total match overs they bowled in that match).

I wish Player Vs. Player stats were available for all cricket matches. That would tell us how many runs a batsman scored off the leading bowlers in his career, or whether he cashed in on lesser ones and saw off the good ones. We would also know the actual value of the wicket tacken by the bowler (that is, how many runs a bowler conceded to a top batsman before getting him out).
That really shouldn't matter in rating the batsman, unless for aesthetic purposes, since runs are runs. Kevin Pietersen is a classic (misleading) example where people tend to give too much weightage to his performance against leading bowlers, IMO.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Taking average at the time of dismissal may be inaccurate in one way. If a batsman who averages 40 scored 100 runs in each innings of a series, then the bowler who got him in the first innings will get less credit than that who got him in the last one. Not fair may be. And given the fairly large sample sizes we are working with, I think these effects are cancelled out.

As for application of batting, it's not straight forward. While wicket of Ponting is more valuable than that of Warne, a run scored against Ponting has the same value as that against Warne in context of the game. Therefore even if someone just sees off good bowlers in a team and punishes weaker bowlers, he should not be considered an inferior player. So one would have to take the strength of bowling overall and then how much they bowled. Too much work and no elegant methodology either.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You hope to get around a difference of 7% with home/away argument? ;)

Anyway, this is not Murali vs Warne thread. We can discuss this on the official thread :)
It doesn't have to overturn anything; although it probably will. Their records home and away contrast a lot and their respective homes play a great deal in the ease of bowling. Sri Lanka is arguably one of the best places to bowl spin and Australia one of the worst. Murali's average jumps more than 8 points away from home; whereas Warne is even better away than at home.

Furthermore, the fact that it doesn't take into account the wickets taken in the context of the batsmen's careers is a big hole. Right now taking Dravid's wicket is easier than taking Watson's; but in this exercise it is considered more valuable to take Dravid's wicket today. Or taking Tendulkar's wicket when he debuted is totally different to taking it now.

Don't worry about the discussion, as it it's relevant to your thread. You made a "key finding" and i am showing you why it is highly flawed.

Last edited:

vcs

It doesn't have to overturn anything; although it probably will. Their records home and away contrast a lot and their respective homes play a great deal in the ease of bowling. Sri Lanka is arguably one of the best places to bowl spin and Australia one of the worst. Murali's average jumps more than 8 points away from home; whereas Warne is even better away than at home.

Furthermore, the fact that it doesn't take into account the wickets taken in the context of the batsmen's careers is a big hole. Right now taking Dravid's wicket is easier than taking Watson's; but in this exercise it is considered more valuable to take Dravid's wicket today. Or taking Tendulkar's wicket when he debuted is totally different to taking it now.
I'd be shocked if that didn't even out over a large sample of data.

their respective homes play a great deal in the ease of bowling. Sri Lanka is arguably one of the best places to bowl spin and Australia one of the worst.
And yet when I made the dead track argument for Pak(SC) fast bowlers,I got a typical response:bowlers adapt to and bowl best in the conditions they grow up in!

As for the easy conditions thing-Ind is also supposed to be an "easy" place to bowl spin in.Why does Warne have a high average there then?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I'd be shocked if that didn't even out over a large sample of data.
These bowlers are going to face countless batsmen who are going to have of varying degrees of form in matches played and most of them won't come to average their career average against every bowler so it's unlikely it will. For some bowlers the batsmen will average highly, for others they wont.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
And yet when I made the dead track argument for Pak(SC) fast bowlers,I got a typical response:bowlers adapt to and bowl best in the conditions they grow up in!

As for the easy conditions thing-Ind is also supposed to be an "easy" place to bowl spin in.Why does Warne have a high average there then?
And in that thread it was repeatedly pointed out to you that whilst Warne will have done as well as he could have, adapting to that condition; he STILL did better away. Whereas with the Pakistani bowlers...they did better at HOME than away; so they were disadvantaged away more than anything.

You were arguing that the Pakistani bowlers were disadvantaged at home...yet they did much better at home and hence weren't. You were wildly off the mark then, and now.

India is a hard place to bowl spin because of the batsmen it has - not because bowling spin is hard there. There are only 2 places where spin outdoes pace: India and Sri Lanka.

Last edited:

vcs

These bowlers are going to face countless batsmen who are going to have of varying degrees of form in matches played and most of them won't come to average their career average against every bowler so it's unlikely it will. For some bowlers the batsmen will average highly, for others they wont.
Well, that is essentially the same as saying, any statistical exercise is pointless, isn't it? :)

I disagree BTW, I think these variables will even out for everyone over the course of a career.. nearly every ATG bowler will have high-averaging batsmen who struggle against their style of bowling and hence pick up those high-value wickets cheaply at some stage.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Well, that is essentially the same as saying, any statistical exercise is pointless, isn't it? :)

I disagree BTW, I think these variables will even out for everyone over the course of a career.. nearly every ATG bowler will have high-averaging batsmen who struggle against their style of bowling and hence pick up those high-value wickets cheaply at some stage.
It depends what the statistical exercise is trying to prove. This is showing how bowlers did with respect to the batsmen they faced. But only takes into account their finishing overall average. So the critique is particularly relevant as these stats tries to look at the quality of wickets taken; when it doesn't look at the quality of the wicket taken when it was taken.

It's one thing trying to say X bowler took apart a great attack and trying to actually value every wicket taken and put it as a numerical value.

Last edited: