• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Ashes Moments

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nasser Hussain's 207, Edgbaston 97
Tuffers takes 11 to secure a 2-0 series win for England, 97
Freddie's marathon spell at The Oval in 05
Freddie takes 5 at Lord's in 09 and gets down on one knee

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steve Waugh's perfect day 100 is probably my most memorable cricketing moment of all time. Not just Ashes.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought Vaughan's century at Old Trafford in '05 was great. Didn't McGrath bowl him early in that knock on a no-ball?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I thought Vaughan's century at Old Trafford in '05 was great. Didn't McGrath bowl him early in that knock on a no-ball?
Same as over as he was dropped by Gilchirst iirc. Dunno if it was a truly great ashes moment though.

Others, in no particular order:

Hoggard smashing Lee through the covers for an absolutely vital boundary in the 2005 Trent Bridge run chase

Randall's hand stands after securing the ashes in 1977, or maybe the same guy running out McCosker towards the end of Day 4 to virtually seal the game and the series

England's players carrying off Illingworth on their shoulders at the end of the 1970/71 series.

Compton pulling the winning runs to seal our first ashes win for over 20 years in coronation year

A couple of specific Beefy moments in his 1981 hundreds - smashing a six way over long off when the Leeds game really was turning ('They might as well not both looking for that' - R. Benaud) and twice hooking Lillee for six at Old Trafford with his eyes closed.

Underwood taking the final wicket at the Oval in 1968, even if it was irrelevant to the destination of the ashes

Laker's 19 at Old Trafford in 1956

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ye & what wpdavid said. Went to all 5 days of that test, didn't miss a ball. Best test ever.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Do people think things such as mornings of Tests or Day 4 qualify as moments? If so, I'll include them. Just, IMO, Botham's hundreds would be more of an achievement/memory sort of thing... whereas the Steve Waugh last ball hundred was without doubt a moment.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Nasser Hussain's 207, Edgbaston 97
Tuffers takes 11 to secure a 2-0 series win for England, 97
Freddie's marathon spell at The Oval in 05
Freddie takes 5 at Lord's in 09 and gets down on one knee
That Nasser 207 really was an absolute cracker of an innings, he has never played anything like it ever since. His driving and poise was out of this world. I seriously crapped myself at his dominance. I'd seen him make a few tons the previous summer and his batting on the 93 didnt inspire, but boy he just creamed our attack with amazing authority usually reserved for guys like Laxman or Sachin. Just a brilliant innings. He hardly ran for any of his 38 fours, just hammered them. Glorious knock.

The other Pom ton i quite enjoyed was Thorpe's 123 at the WACA in 95, super super innings.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That Nasser 207 really was an absolute cracker of an innings, he has never played anything like it ever since. His driving and poise was out of this world. I seriously crapped myself at his dominance. I'd seen him make a few tons the previous summer and his batting on the 93 didnt inspire, but boy he just creamed our attack with amazing authority usually reserved for guys like Laxman or Sachin. Just a brilliant innings. He hardly ran for any of his 38 fours, just hammered them. Glorious knock.

The other Pom ton i quite enjoyed was Thorpe's 123 at the WACA in 95, super super innings.
That Nas innings is probably the reason I am here :)

Seeing as you want more and I have one left:

Glenn McGrath doesn't look where he's going and steps on a cricket ball. :laugh:

stumpski

International Captain
Have 41 nominations... 64 would be a nice number :)
It wasn't strictly speaking an Ashes Test but it was one of the most memorable England - Australia contests of all:

David Hookes hitting Greig for five successive boundaries, Melbourne, 1977;

Derek Randall doffing his cap to Lillee after ducking a bouncer, same match (and his 174 in general);

and if it hasn't been mentioned already, Boycott on-driving Chappell to reach his 100th hundred at Headingley later that year.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Given how rare English triumphs have been over the last 20 years, Broad's five-for at the Oval deserves a mention imo.

Steve Waugh's twin tons at Old Trafford in 1997.

Beefy hitting Merv for about 20 during one over in the first test 1986.

Butcher's 171 at Leeds in 2001 - ultimately pointless, but great nonetheless.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Mitchell Johnson bowls a massive wide with England nine down at Cardiff. And then a couple more. And then gets whisked off.

Mitchell Johnson at Lord's 09

Mitchell Johnson squares up to Stuart Broad at Edgbaston 09. Must be real cool, squaring up to a numer 8 batsman while he's hitting a fifty.

And finally, my last one

Mitchell Johnson's mum and girlfriend make him cry, 2009

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh: Great stuff.

Though I reserve doubts about "Mitch Johnson at Lord's 09" being a moment :p
I've not included everything in this thread just because they're not moments. As I mentioned before, whilst things like twin hundreds are a great achievement, I don't see how two entirely seperate things can be "a moment". Bowling spells are different, as they're an extended moment :p

eatthis9999

Cricket Spectator
some great (englands point) ashes moments

bodyline series has got to of been one of the best series just cause we could control sir donald bradman

Harmison making ponting need a phisio (how ever you spell it)

when the odds of england winning were 500-1 and england won it after 2 ausies placed bets we would win

a great day in history was oval 1968 were the croud got up and dried the outfield to let england win

jim laker's 19-90 in a match

botham wearing a wig and getting off the mark with a 6 (1st ball)

the snow riot in sydney after he was grabbed at fine leg after a bouncer

bothams 5 wickets for 1 run

the metal bat days

beefy making a amazing 138 to win our first test for over a year

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Alright, Johnson's first innings spell at Lord's 09, up to him getting Cook out. One of the best spells I have ever watched, as an Englishman.