• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Ashes Moments

stumpski

International Captain
McGrath's spell at Lord's in 2005. Hands down the best spell of fast bowling I've seen. I still get goosebumps when I think about Flintoff's off stump cartwheeling away.

The 4th innings at Trent Bridge 2005. Trescothick and Strauss start off in T20 mode, Warne, as he did all series turns the game back towards Australia, Flintoff and KP settle us down, Lee bowls a masterful spell, getting Flintoff with a beauty, Geraint chokes vs Warne, before Giles and Hoggard get us there - that 4th innings had everything. Momentum swung one way then the other, and it was tense right until Giles turned for the 2nd run. A great example of why Test cricket is the greatest form of the game.

Flintoff's over at Edgbaston. Unplayable.

Strauss' batting on the first day at Lord's. So calm, so serene. A faultless display, he really ought to have kicked on and got the double, one of the best knocks I've watched.

Duncan Fletcher's put down after Ponting had a bitch about substitute fielders after getting run out. "If you hit the ball straight to the cover fielder and run, what do you expect?"
Although the match itself was drawn, McGrath's first-innings performance at Lord's in 1997 was series-turning, tbh - it had been all England up to that point. After that we never looked liked winning it.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steve Waugh's last ball ton

Anything from 1989-2003

Thommo walking back to his mark at the Gabba in 74-75, tossing the ball in the air, looking at the next bloke padded up and saying "You're next".

Thommo's yorker to Greig in that same test.

Merv Hughes bowling Gatting, last ball day 4, 1st test 1993.

Paul Jarvis and Mark Ealham playing for England... Lol, I mean come on.

Lee smashing Harmison through covers to win us the second test in 05 :ph34r:

Lee hitting Cook in the stones first ball Sydney 07 and wishing him a happy new year.

The ICC's revocation of England's sham win in 05 because of the mints disgrace.

Warne's ball to Gatting.

Warne in 05, a one man army for the forces of good against the marauding, cheating filth of England.

Stan McCabe 187 vs Bodyline, Sydney 1932.

Bradman 309 in a day, Leeds 1930 (I mean, he's no Tendulkar, but still)

Hobbs and Sutcliffe on the Melbourne glue pot 1928-29.

Spofforth.. "This thing can be done".

Woodfull to Pelham Warner, Adelaide Pavilion 1932-33.

Larwood's bowling 1932-33.

Benaud's match.

Adelaide 06.

Edgbaston 05.

...all spring to mind.

14 months I've been decent to the Poms on here. Come November, you can all GAGF.

Last edited:

Burgey

SWaugh's last ball ton and Benaud's match? Links/dates?
I'm on the phone ATM mate, but Waugh's was Sydney 2003, Benaud's was 1961 iirc. Came around the wicket and knocked Peter May over, and a few others on day five.

vcs

Merv Hughes bowling Gatting, last ball day 4, 1st test 1993.
Great nomination, remember that very clearly, was the first Ashes series I followed on TV. That, and the ball of the century in the same match.

I'd also like to nominate the first day of Ashes 2001, was great fun I thought, Butcher-Atherton had a good partnership, Warne worked his magic, England middle-order collapse, and a great 10th wicket partnership between Stewart and Caddick to take them to a semi-respectable score.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mark Waugh's century on debut, in 1990/91.
Greg Blewett's hundred in each of his first two Tests.
Matthew Elliott's 199 vs England in 1997.
McCabe's innings in Bodyline.
Dean Headley wrecking Australia in Melbourne in 1998.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Great nomination, remember that very clearly, was the first Ashes series I followed on TV. That, and the ball of the century in the same match.

I'd also like to nominate the first day of Ashes 2001, was great fun I thought, Butcher-Atherton had a good partnership, Warne worked his magic, England middle-order collapse, and a great 10th wicket partnership between Stewart and Caddick to take them to a semi-respectable score.
Dont forget the best part of that Day 1, Slater going mental smashing the bowling for his 77* by stumps, after England had made 300. What a Day 1.

robelinda

Remember Elliot's 199 like it was yesterday.

What a chin that man had.
He was bloody lucky, dropped twice, just like the Lords ton. In between the let off's though some beautiful driving and pulling, his partnership with Punter was awesome.

vcs

Dont forget the best part of that Day 1, Slater going mental smashing the bowling for his 77* by stumps, after England had made 300. What a Day 1.
Yeah, I think I missed the last session, it was past my bedtime.

How about Gilchrist's partnership of 50 odd for the 10th wicket with McGrath in the same Test, with McGrath scoring 2 or something?

Last edited:

robelinda

Yeah, I think I missed the last session, it was past my bedtime.

How about Gilchrist's partnership of 50 odd for the 10th wicket with McGrath in the same Test, with McGrath scoring 2 or something?
Yeah that was awesome too. So you NEVER saw Slaters massacre on day 1????? :-O:-O:-O

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Botham smashing McDermott for 18 off about four deliveries in 1985 to precede the declaration in the pivotal Edgbaston test in 1985. Obviously not his most vital contribution ever, and it didn't really alter the result one iota, but as a statement of our superiority, it took some beating.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
You missed out big time!!!!!!! Must be on you tube somewhere. 16 off the first Gough over.
Yea Slats went crazy on that afternoon. I rememeber thinking ATT "Slats is back", then he went on to struggle for the remainder of that Ashes. Sad end to a top career, had the ability to do so much more that man SMH..

That over pushed both Gough & Caddick back as partnership after that superb year they had before that series. They never recovered.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Anything from 1989-2003

Lee smashing Harmison through covers to win us the second test in 05 :ph34r:

The ICC's revocation of England's sham win in 05 because of the mints disgrace.

Warne in 05, a one man army for the forces of good against the marauding, cheating filth of England.

Bradman 309 in a day, Leeds 1930 (I mean, he's no Tendulkar, but still)

Woodfull to Pelham Warner, Adelaide Pavilion 1932-33.
:laugh:
True quality

robelinda

Botham smashing McDermott for 18 off about four deliveries in 1985 to precede the declaration in the pivotal Edgbaston test in 1985. Obviously not his most vital contribution ever, and it didn't really alter the result one iota, but as a statement of our superiority, it took some beating.
Defreitas did it even better in 95! Same bowler, that 88 was actually a fine knock.