• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Ashes Moments

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Broad V Johnson, think I nominated that.
Actually apologies for saying it wasn't a great Ashes moment, on reflection it was pretty damn good. Really funny seeing Mitch, who by that time and in front of that particular crowd had been reduced to a laughing stock, having a crack at a tailender who'd just smacked him for 4, and who then had a go back. Emblematic of the shift in the balance of power.

Was at the ground for each day of both these Tests, FWIW.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
(26)Lee hitting Cook in the box and wishing him a happy new year 2 vs 6 (43)Mitchell Johnson squaring up to Stuart Broad

Hugely popular battle that one.

Jarquis

Battle #8

(46)John Snow being manhandled on the boundary of the SCG

7th Test: Australia v England at Sydney, Feb 12-17, 1971 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com
Snow wass grabbed by a member of the crowd after Australian batsman Terry Jenner had been hit on the head by one of his 'bumper' balls leading Illingworth to take his team off the pitch in protest

vs

(28)Bradman scoring 309 in a day
3rd Test: England v Australia at Leeds, Jul 11-15, 1930 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com
At the time, Bradman's eventual score of 334 was a world record and to this day he remains the only player to score 300 runs in a single day's play

Bradman takes in applause after reaching the 300

Last edited:

Jarquis

Don't be disheartened - this is going to be (already is) a great thread
Oh, I'm not :) More reflective of that particular battle than anything (I hope :p)

Expecting this one to be slightly more popular, as I understand it the Snow moment was huge at the time and then obviously Bradman's feat is a bit of an epic.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Has to be Sir Donald, realistically.

Although Snowy being jostled was pretty disgraceful stuff; as someone said in an article I read recently (might've been our own Mr fertang, actually) even Lol & Voce never got manhandled in 32/33.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has to be Sir Donald, realistically.

Although Snowy being jostled was pretty disgraceful stuff; as someone said in an article I read recently (might've been our own Mr fertang, actually) even Lol & Voce never got manhandled in 32/33.
I don't think Larwood and Voce were ever hated here tbh. When Larwood made his 90 odd as nightwatchman he was apparently cheered from the field like a hero. The supporters here, unlike the MCC itself in 1934, were smart enough to know they were only following captain's orders. One of the more bizarre things ever, the MCC making them apologise for bowling Bodyline.

There's some great footage fromt he beginning of the 1977 Centenary Test where Larwood and Voce walk out onto the middle of the MCG before the start of play and get a massive cheer from the crowd. Voce even takes off his jacket and starts to mark out his run up.

So I'd say those two were pretty well respected here tbh, and not unloved. What the ACB did for them would be the equivalent of England having its 150th Test year celebrations and inviting Lillee and Thommo out onto the ground to be feted before play starts. And we all know there's no way England are magnanimous enough to do such a gentlemanly thing.

As for the battle at hand, Bradman.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't think Larwood and Voce were ever hated here tbh. When Larwood made his 90 odd as nightwatchman he was apparently cheered from the field like a hero. The supporters here, unlike the MCC itself in 1934, were smart enough to know they were only following captain's orders. One of the more bizarre things ever, the MCC making them apologise for bowling Bodyline.

There's some great footage fromt he beginning of the 1977 Centenary Test where Larwood and Voce walk out onto the middle of the MCG before the start of play and get a massive cheer from the crowd. Voce even takes off his jacket and starts to mark out his run up.

So I'd say those two were pretty well respected here tbh, and not unloved. What the ACB did for them would be the equivalent of England having its 150th Test year celebrations and inviting Lillee and Thommo out onto the ground to be feted before play starts. And we all know there's no way England are magnanimous enough to do such a gentlemanly thing.

As for the battle at hand, Bradman.
I'd actually say Snowy's probably as well regarded down under amongst cricket fans of a certain age as he is up here too; in Sky's (rather excellent) documentary on the 70/71 tour Chappelli was very fulsome in his praise for Snow.

What I meant more was that passions were (by pretty much every account) running high on the Bodyline tour, but even at Adelaide Harold or Bill (nor the Great Satan DRJ either come to that) weren't manhandled as Snow was on the boundary on the SCG.

& obviously Lol famously wouldn't apologise for his part either; the fact his old mucker did set them at loggerheads for a time too.