• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Squads

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I agree with this. I remember when Jerome Taylor debuted against Sri Lanka this year. He looked nervous and his inexperience definitely showed, but Lara kept faith in him and didn't just ban him to fine leg or the like. As such, Taylor continued to run in and bowl with purpose, albeit without success.
Yeah but he's started taking wickets now. Yet Kabir takes 5 and is dropped!!!

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
What do you have against Flintoff Craig?

Even when he performs really well, you have to have a go at him and predict failure.

I expect he may struggle against Murali, but he certainly won't be alone in that respect.

Vaas I cannot really see causing him that many problems as he is quite comfortable against seam bowling, and once he gets himself in tends to be able to bat well against them.
But conditions in Sri Lanka are different to England. Look I dont have anything against him except I dont really rate him.

Baaza once pointed out that Flintoff is rated 49th in the world with the batsmen - as if that is hardly special.

It isnt unresonable to for him to continue his form.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
What do you have against Flintoff Craig?

Even when he performs really well, you have to have a go at him and predict failure.

I expect he may struggle against Murali, but he certainly won't be alone in that respect.

Vaas I cannot really see causing him that many problems as he is quite comfortable against seam bowling, and once he gets himself in tends to be able to bat well against them.
I think what Craig is pushing at is that Flintoff has struggled against spinners before on the subcontinent on spinning pitches, his technique basically backs his eye and he pushes hard at the ball. If he mis-judges a spinning delivery and pushes hard at it he is likely to hit it to any of the close in catchers which surround the batsman when the spinners are on, just think back to the tour of India. To be fair I don't think Flintoff will find it too easy out there either.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think Flintoff has matured greatly as a batsman in recent times, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him succeed out there (remember that SL only really have one spinner who will really threaten)

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
I would have given him a go instead of Martyn, or Ponting who was very lucky he wasn't "Bevaned" after a string of inconsistant performances.
Not really Ponting's avrage has never been below 35 and has almost always been 40+

He was inconsistant but at least he always looked comftable against quality bowling witch is somthing Beven never quite did.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
I think Flintoff has matured greatly as a batsman in recent times, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him succeed out there (remember that SL only really have one spinner who will really threaten)
Yes but what a spinner...

Craig

World Traveller
Rik said:
I think what Craig is pushing at is that Flintoff has struggled against spinners before on the subcontinent on spinning pitches, his technique basically backs his eye and he pushes hard at the ball. If he mis-judges a spinning delivery and pushes hard at it he is likely to hit it to any of the close in catchers which surround the batsman when the spinners are on, just think back to the tour of India. To be fair I don't think Flintoff will find it too easy out there either.
Correct. And Vaas is a world class bowler who swing the ball both ways etc.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I remember Flintoff having a mare on that tour of India but as Marc points out he really is a different player now. He came of age a bit in NZ and looks a completely different player now than even 12-18 months ago.

I think he'll do alright.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Considering your harsh definition of World Class in ODI's - I don't think you can ask why Vaas isn't World Class!

Craig

World Traveller
You mean in regards of rpo? I believe he is under the 4.5 runs per over mark. Its been a while since I last checked.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
You mean in regards of rpo? I believe he is under the 4.5 runs per over mark. Its been a while since I last checked.
I was talking about in Test's

Chaminda Vaas is a good performer, but nowhere near World Class!

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
yes..agreed but he almost worldclass better than just good like err...
thingy....oh yea...SH

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Actually I'm surprised that nobody picked this up when I was giving my acceptable rates in one-day cricket that I made Flintoff a world-class ODI bowler and everybody here knows what I think of Flintoff.