• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Amongst current batsmen from the sub-continent,who is the best player of pace?

Best player of pace from Sc amongst current players is...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tooextracool

International Coach
I am mortified to see Sehwag, Gambhir, Yousuf etc there but no Dilshan.
Probably because Dilshan's test record outside of the subcontinent is pretty average? I know hes been working on his game against the quicker bowlers lately and he hasnt played much outside of the subcontinent, but in the past he's certainly struggled against pace and looked at ease against spin.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah bit early on Dilshan. He's much better now but he's hardly got the test stats that Sehwag and Gambhir do.

But nowadays Dilshan can hook and pull with the best of them. Not as awesome to look at compared to Sanga and Laxman, but it's effective.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
He was a very good puller and hooker, but had a problem with his shot selection. Other than for his debut series in ZIM, most of his test innings were turbo charged ones. Add to that hardly played more than a series anywhere other than in India and Pakistan.

He's in the form of his life. Expect that average to go up to 50 when he retire.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Yeah....i guess you can't beat Sachin in this poll....that is one of the reasons why he is so good...he has every shot in the book for pacers.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah....i guess you can't beat Sachin in this poll....that is one of the reasons why he is so good...he has every shot in the book for pacers.
So does Dravid.......almost as good against pace as Sachin IMO.....and even better than Sachin technically

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
So does Dravid.......almost as good against pace as Sachin IMO.....and even better than Sachin technically
Dravid is good, but to me he is good in his defense not as good as Sachin in aggression. Sachin can defend and sure in hell attack a good pace attack with equal conviction.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
If Sanga can get his average over 50 in SAF and ENG, I have no hesitation of rating him over Sachin when it comes to playing pace. The way he's treating Jhonson and Siddle with disdain is a treat.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Sanga can get his average over 50 in SAF and ENG, I have no hesitation of rating him over Sachin when it comes to playing pace. The way he's treating Jhonson and Siddle with disdain is a treat.
Not so fast, Tendulkar has treated them with plenty of disdain as well. And did well in the '90s. Sanga has plenty to prove. Not saying he won't do it, in fact I posted here that I'd love to see SL tour outside the subcontinent more often when Sanga is in his prime, but he does play around 60% of his cricket at home.

TumTum

Banned
Not so fast, Tendulkar has treated them with plenty of disdain as well.
Wouldn't say that. Yes he has played well against Johnson and Siddle, but he doesn't tear them apart like Sanga does.

Really IMO Sanga is head and shoulders above any current SC batsmen against playing pace and on bouncy pitches.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sachin has also changed his game in recent times.

Well, I dunno. I rate Sanga, of course. But given the number of overseas tours Tendulkar has had, the number of different bowlers/attacks he has faced and how many times he has proved himself, I just think we have to wait for the end of Sanga's career before saying he is clearly better than Tendulkar at playing pace. I just hope he gets the opportunities he deserves.

BTW, Tendulkar played 20 of his first 21 Tests away from home. First tour away to Pakistan against the W's and Imran, then NZ, England, Australia and SA away all as a teenager, and still managed to keep his place comfortably in the lineup and stand out. Speaks a fair amount for his ability if you ask me.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Surely no one is suggesting that Sanga OVERALL is better than Sachin against pace.

But right now, even considering Sachin's awesome year, I'd have Sanga just ahead. And Sanga is in his prime so he should bloody damn well be good if he's going to be an all-time great.

But overall it's a no contest for mine. Sachin has the runs on the board (lol at using a cricket metaphor in an actual cricket convo :ph34r: )

Also will be interesting how Sachin goes in South Africa. If he does well he'll take over Sanga again.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Sachin has also changed his game in recent times.

Well, I dunno. I rate Sanga, of course. But given the number of overseas tours Tendulkar has had, the number of different bowlers/attacks he has faced and how many times he has proved himself, I just think we have to wait for the end of Sanga's career before saying he is clearly better than Tendulkar at playing pace. I just hope he gets the opportunities he deserves.

BTW, Tendulkar played 20 of his first 21 Tests away from home. First tour away to Pakistan against the W's and Imran, then NZ, England, Australia and SA away all as a teenager, and still managed to keep his place comfortably in the lineup and stand out. Speaks a fair amount for his ability if you ask me.
That does speak volumes about the lad. Wasim, Waqar, and Imran were all genuinely quick, not to mention all masters of reverse swing and he could still hold his own. Talk about a baptism of fire. Then throughout the 90s you had superb bowling attacks for almost all the sides and Sachin did extremely well in that decade. The pitches also seemed somewhat bowler friendly compared to what they are in the 2000s or maybe it was just the bowling attacks.

Sanga has been very good and I too am a big fan but there is still a long way to go. Had Amir and Asif not been involved in their favorite pastimes it would have been interesting to see how Sanga would have fared against them. I would still say that there is still some time for Sanga to go before I would say he is better than Sachin against pace.

Have Sanga and Steyn faced each other in tests???

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
That does speak volumes about the lad. Wasim, Waqar, and Imran were all genuinely quick, not to mention all masters of reverse swing and he could still hold his own. Talk about a baptism of fire. Then throughout the 90s you had superb bowling attacks for almost all the sides and Sachin did extremely well in that decade. The pitches also seemed somewhat bowler friendly compared to what they are in the 2000s or maybe it was just the bowling attacks.

Sanga has been very good and I too am a big fan but there is still a long way to go. Had Amir and Asif not been involved in their favorite pastimes it would have been interesting to see how Sanga would have fared against them. I would still say that there is still some time for Sanga to go before I would say he is better than Sachin against pace.

Have Sanga and Steyn faced each other in tests???
Yes. Sanga scored 287, 14 and 39 when that happened.

And BTW, in 90s SC player that handled Imran, Wasim and Waqar best was de Silva. He was a bit above Tendulkar in that aspect, because he just destroyed them when on song.

Sanga might have some way to go, and that's the reason I said he should get his Average in SAF and ENG over 50. If that happens you can't simply dismiss on weight of runs.