• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Amongst current non sub-continental batsmen,who is the best player of spin?

Best player of spin amongst current non-SC batsmen is...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Jaques Kallis for sure.

From 1998 onwards (his first meeting with Murali), Kallis aveages 40 with the bat against SL when Murali played (otherwise 37). During the same time Tendulkar averaged around 34 under same conditions. That would give you an idea about Kallis.
Yea Kallis is fairly solid. Nothing dynamic about his play againts spin, but has put together a good record againts quality spin all over.

Shifter

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Which is one of the reason when rating cricketers after the scorebaord runs are translated into a players average. The old agage "stats dont tell the whole truth" comes in & this is a perfect example.

Those spinners are joke, nobody rates them. KP failing the majority of the time is him showing utter disdain towards them. But i am very confident if England in a future test, are in hole & he has to face one of those joke spinners, he would put his head down & bat & score againts them, just as freely as he did againts the top spinners. Which would render his past dismissals/failures againts those joke irrelevant & the majority will brush it off.

The fact that he domianted the best spinenrs that he has faced, is all that will matter when his career comes to an end & people judge him.
Bull****. Your not telling the whole story either because your conveniently ignoring his failures against players you feel are of irrelevant quality. His job is to score runs and he can't do that when hes out, no matter who gets him out.

As a supposed great player of spin he should be able to put both the greats and the weak bowlers away. You can't cherry pick your moments.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Bull****. Your not telling the whole story either because your conveniently ignoring his failures against players you feel are of irrelevant quality. His job is to score runs and he can't do that when hes out, no matter who gets him out.

As a supposed great player of spin he should be able to put both the greats and the weak bowlers away. You can't cherry pick your moments.
And as i said i firmly believe if England in a future test, are in hole & he has to face one of those joke spinners, he would put his head down & bat & score againts them, just as freely as he did againts the top spinners.

Of course if he continues to struggles to get out stupidly againts joke spinners, the way he is rated compared to past top players of spin like Lara, Tendy etc will go down. Which is one area which could indeed make KP fall short of true greatness by the time he retires.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Clarke or Kallis I reckon followed by Taylor, Chanderpaul or AB. Haven't really watched the others closely enough against spin to comment.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Re. KP, if he's failing against poor spinners, that's his failing. You can't say he isn't playing them well because he's showing disdain for them - his job is to score runs and if he can't do that regularly against those bowlers, whether it's because of a technical problem or an attitude problem, it's a weakness, and a weakness against a particular type of bowling at that.
Once you start playing the game of player x isn't scoring runs because he couldn't be bothered etc then you can basically write off any failings you want for your favoured players.

Howsie

International Captain
There is absolutely no way that Taylor is up there amongst spin. The guy has one shot against spin.
Haha, yeah I was just going to ask what Ross Taylor was doing in that list of players. He's decent enough against spin but he's nowhere near being top class.

Spark

Global Moderator
Clarke's usually very good, but was disappointing in the tests v India. His mind was so set on dominating he never gave himself a chance to play himself properly in.

Morgan's range of shot in ODIs against the spinners is very impressive. He's possibly the most wristy non-Indian batsman since Damien Martyn. Manipulates the ball so well.
I disagree with that. I don't think he was trying to dominate - it looked to me that he had a bit of an issue picking up length. His two dismissals in Bangalore did not strike me as the way he usually plays those types of deliveries.

But in form it's difficult to go past him. Can dominate spin without really trying, just because the bowler can't work out what length to bowl to him.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Which is one of the reason when rating cricketers after the scorebaord runs are translated into a players average. The old agage "stats dont tell the whole truth" comes in & this is a perfect example.

Those spinners are joke, nobody rates them. KP failing the majority of the time is him showing utter disdain towards them. But i am very confident if England in a future test, are in hole & he has to face one of those joke spinners, he would put his head down & bat & score againts them, just as freely as he did againts the top spinners. Which would render his past dismissals/failures againts those joke irrelevant & the majority will brush it off.

The fact that he domianted the best spinenrs that he has faced, is all that will matter when his career comes to an end & people judge him.
Ever considered the possibility that he's forced to go gung-ho and try to "dominate" spinners because he's not confident enough in his defensive abilities to block out the good ones? I've rarely seen him play a "put his head down and grind it out" knock against a rampant spin attack, whereas many inferior players of spin have done that and saved/won matches for their team.

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
My experience is in Australia games so I'll limit it to that.

I always felt that KP was the one who could "stop" Warne and set the tone for the game. High risk, high reward...

So that's who I voted for.

Plus there is also the question of what the batter does with the medium pacer/quick at the other end.

I guess I just enjoyed watching KP bat more than the likes of Kallis, who might have better records and who you might send in "if they were batting for your life".

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Haha, yeah I was just going to ask what Ross Taylor was doing in that list of players. He's decent enough against spin but he's nowhere near being top class.
Neither are some of the rest tbh.

Taylor's all right against spin. He's scored against quite a few and taken the lesser ones to the cleaners on occassion.

Clarke and Kallis a couple of levels above though, hence I voted Kallis.