• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most exciting batsman to watch

Shri

Mr. Glass
A real shame that I can't find videos of Kambli's double hundreds. Was even more exciting than Lara and looked more West Indian than Indian in style.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Virender Sehwag is number one hands down in terms of excitement for me. Sachin's right up there as well. Brendon McCullum and Yuvraj Singh when they are in full flow are awesome as well.

Add Chris Gayle in there too... I can watch him paste Brett Lee all day on youtube:laugh:

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Currently it's hard to go past Sehwag; most disappointing part of the India/Oz series was that he didn't quite come off. Whetted the appetite with a glorious 50, but he's the kind of bloke you can watch all day so it's always a pity when he goes. Unless he's playing England, obv.

Seems scarcely believeable that he didn't make the party for the 2007 tour up here now.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Lara
KP
Sehwag
Gilchrist
Anwar
Jayasuriya
Azharuddin
Gayle

All of Flintoff, Klusener, Cairms, Afridi, Symonds batting in ODIs when they went into slog mode.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Currently it's hard to go past Sehwag; most disappointing part of the India/Oz series was that he didn't quite come off. Whetted the appetite with a glorious 50, but he's the kind of bloke you can watch all day so it's always a pity when he goes. Unless he's playing England, obv.

Seems scarcely believeable that he didn't make the party for the 2007 tour up here now.
He was failing & was dropped ATT.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hmm, Watson for me. He's managed to combine a very orthodox and pretty looking technique with attacking and even, at times, innovative cricket. He's not my favourite batsman to watch but of those I do like watching, he's the most exciting. I find it hard to get particularly excited by the usual suspects - Sehwag, Lara etc - because I don't really enjoy watching them bat much in the first place other than from a purely quality-appreciative perspective (in the same way I'm sure many people feel when they see someone like Chanderpaul knock up a ton).

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
G Chappell
Gower
M Waugh
Tendulkar
Lara
Martyn
Richie Richardson
Slater
Laxman
Dravid
AB de Villiers
Azahruddin

to name but a few. Tend to prefer the effortless stylists than the fellas who give it a right lathering.

Last edited:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Hmm, Watson for me. He's managed to combine a very orthodox and pretty looking technique with attacking and even, at times, innovative cricket. He's not my favourite batsman to watch but of those I do like watching, he's the most exciting. I find it hard to get particularly excited by the usual suspects - Sehwag, Lara etc - because I don't really enjoy watching them bat much in the first place other than from a purely quality-appreciative perspective (in the same way I'm sure many people feel when they see someone like Chanderpaul knock up a ton).
Some of his hits are just plain brutal....Strong lad with good shot selection for sure.

But...still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZlIyLfnnrs&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Hamilton Masakadza. Only professional cricketer aside from Sibanda that I've seen reverse cover drive and both of them were doing it against Murali and Mendis.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Among the ones I saw live: Viv Richards, Tendulkar, Lara, Laxman, Gilchrist, Pietersen, Miandad (for a short period Hayden and Klusener, too - the 2 World Cups they rocked, to be precise)

Among the ones I have seen only in recordings: Sobers, Barry Richards, Graeme Pollock, Gavaskar

I wish I could see some more recordings of Bradman and George Headley.

smash84

The Tiger King
Tendulkar in 1998 was very exciting to watch. That crazy *** beating that he gave to the Aussies in Sharjah is still stuck to my mind like glue. I still remember those sixes that he hit Warne when Warne went around the wicket. Those Tendy days were outstanding. Seem long gone now but I think he has become a more effective batsman now (maybe not as exciting anymore but definitely quite effective).

Jayasuriya in that 1996-1997 was just outstanding to watch and very very exciting too. Could not carry on that level of excitement in the future but in his prime he was a very very exciting player.

But in terms of sheer excitement, somebody who did that for a long long time IMO was Adam Gilchrist. Vastly under-rated here on CW I should say. But that guy was as exciting a batsman that any I have ever come across.

Gilly on his day could bloody murder a bowling attack. He didn't only seem to hit the ball hard. He looked like he was slapping the ball :).........boy it was a treat watching that man bat.........I remember one of the American baseball team coaches had seen him bat and he thought of signing him in for his team :).........the guy blasted a test century in just 57 deliveries (could have easily beaten Viv's record the way he was playing).

I remember when asked about batsmen Wasim Akram saying that he was not intimidated by any batsman but he did say that Gilchrist was somebody who could take bowlers apart as well as anyone and he found that he had to be very careful bowling to Gilly.

In terms of providing sheer excitement it would be hard to beat Gilly.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar was hands down the most exciting batsman to watch for me in the 90's, only starting watching a lot more of Lara whenever possible after I saw that 153*.
Tendulkar in 1990's was just very exciting to watch.

I used to watch domestic cricket matches that somewhat were telecasted and he used to treat decent bowlers even with Disdain ,like Sehwag does today.
The crowds came out in the challenger trophy to watch him bat. And i remember after 60 odd runs he scored in arround 30 balls ,he got out. And the crowd started screaming "Once more,Once more":laugh: and even started to throw things.

AaronK

State Regular
Gilly, Lara, Sehwag, Lance KLusnar, Umar Akmal (almost getting there), Inzamam Ul Haq, Sachin (only the 90s specially 96 to 99), Robin Uthapa, Chris Gayle, Tamim Iqbal, Kevin Peterson, Water boy, Rose Taylor, Ian Morgan.., I am sure there are others.. just these are the once that i can think of

irottev

U19 Cricketer
It's easily Chris Martin. Any ball he could get out, and whenever he gets a run you get to go nuts. It's awesome watching him bat live.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Sangakkara is easily the best batsman to watch, for me. Dravid is brilliant as well. Azhar was just something else. Apart from that, Ponting, Tendulkar, Martyn, Waugh and Yuvraj and Tres. were exceptional to watch.

Lara & Sehwag are pretty boring tbh. Laxman, perhaps because of his height, does not appear stylish at all to me and just looks unbalanced, IMHO. Mind, really like all three cricketers.

Only batsman I find revolting to bat, for unexplainable reasons, is KP. Matthew Hayden's batting was pretty ugly too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lara and Sehwag easily..

And I don't get the deal with Sachin in the 90s. I find him better to watch now, really... :ph34r: Not to say he was not exciting but just don't think he was "that" exciting back then.. I mean, he used to play the same way apart from some knocks in home series... His batting has added a dimension now AFAIC.. And he is better to watch for it.

Am I the only one here who enjoys watching Dhoni bat? Love the Dhoni Yuvraj partnerships...