Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brad Hodge for ODI's??

School Boy/Girl Captain robinjr's Avatar

Brad Hodge for ODI's??

Two super tons to start the summer,is there any chance of him making the ODI side?Its highly unlikely given the nature of the Aus selectors and his age but still he is very fit,top class fielder and can be a usefull offie if needed.Imo hes a far better choice than someone like Swampy Marsh or Warner at the top.

What I found interesting was an article in The Age which said that the selectors see Hodge as only "bringing runs to the side", as he didn't bowl and wasn't a top class fielder. Reckon he's definitely a very good fielder, a rung below Clarke/Ponting, on the Hussey level. Took a few outfield screamers playing for Australia, and he bowls handy off-spin.

Played against him two weeks ago, and there's no doubt that he's just on another level to even his contemporaries such as Dussey and Rogers. But opening is about the only slot that you could play him in, and he hasn't really opened for the Vics in 50 over stuff.

Straight swap for Clarke tbh
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Should... but won't.

*snip - rubbish *

I'd definitely rather see him in the squad than Warner and probably Marsh too but we all know that Hodge won't be picked unless there are no other realistic options.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 21-10-2010 at 03:15 PM.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

You let out White PEWS. So that would basically mean in the top 6 there is no spot available. Since # 7 & all-rounder will play.

Unless as already mentioned, he would be a perfect swap for Clarke. But that wont happen.

But he could go as back-up in the 15-man squad instead of Dussey or Warner/Marsh for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    You let out White PEWS. So that would basically mean in the top 6 there is no spot available. Since # 7 & all-rounder will play.

Unless as already mentioned, he would be a perfect swap for Clarke. But that wont happen.

But he could go as back-up in the 15-man squad instead of Dussey or Warner/Marsh for sure.
    How did I possibly manage that? Dire effort.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    The ban on picking Victorian batsmen* means he won't play.

*White doesn't count. He's an allrounder.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

It would be like England picking Ramprakash again. Yeh he probably deserves it, but he won't get picked again. Also, I have nfi that he wants to.

Mind, I'd pick him if he wanted to.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Dwta, Ramps was tried, several times, and he failed.

Lodge was tried, he succeeded and then got banned anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Dwta, Ramps was tried, several times, and he failed.

Lodge was tried, he succeeded and then got banned anyway.
    Hodge wasn't very successful in ODIs, really. He's not as conclusively tried and failed as Ramprakash but he was given a chance to cement a spot and didn't take it, unlike his Test axing which was curious at best.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Hilditch becomes chief selector in 2006, Hodge plays his second-last Test in 2006 and is barely seen again in Tests/ODI's/T20's (a one-off Test in the WI in 2008 aside) despite being one of the world's best T20 players. The power of South Australians in the Aussie set-up is solidified with Vinny Nielsen becoming coach and we've barely seen a Victorian in the side since. Coincidence?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    What I found interesting was an article in The Age which said that the selectors see Hodge as only "bringing runs to the side", as he didn't bowl and wasn't a top class fielder. Reckon he's definitely a very good fielder, a rung below Clarke/Ponting, on the Hussey level. Took a few outfield screamers playing for Australia, and he bowls handy off-spin.

Played against him two weeks ago, and there's no doubt that he's just on another level to even his contemporaries such as Dussey and Rogers. But opening is about the only slot that you could play him in, and he hasn't really opened for the Vics in 50 over stuff.
    Haha, 'oh noez, he's only going to smash tons.'
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer sifter132's Avatar
    Well I'm sick of hearing this. Maybe if Hodge's attitude changed it might help. Every interview I've heard with Hodge talking about his international chances, he just comes across as sour about not getting picked more often. I know most of you are thinking, well he deserved to be picked... Yeah maybe, but you have to show that you can put aside any ill feelings towards selectors/captains and that you are very keen to play. Hodge hasn't really proven either of those things IMHO. Hodge's attitude to international cricket is all a bit 'meh' at the moment. Plus his last series in 2008 was awful over in India. I don't see why we need to go back to Hodge when we've got so many promising players coming through. Middle order batting is not our weak area right now.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by sifter132 View Post
    Well I'm sick of hearing this. Maybe if Hodge's attitude changed it might help. Every interview I've heard with Hodge talking about his international chances, he just comes across as sour about not getting picked more often. I know most of you are thinking, well he deserved to be picked... Yeah maybe, but you have to show that you can put aside any ill feelings towards selectors/captains and that you are very keen to play. Hodge hasn't really proven either of those things IMHO. Hodge's attitude to international cricket is all a bit 'meh' at the moment. Plus his last series in 2008 was awful over in India. I don't see why we need to go back to Hodge when we've got so many promising players coming through. Middle order batting is not our weak area right now.
    He didn't play in India in 2008, UIMM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information