• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Hodge for ODI's??

robinjr

School Boy/Girl Captain
Two super tons to start the summer,is there any chance of him making the ODI side?Its highly unlikely given the nature of the Aus selectors and his age but still he is very fit,top class fielder and can be a usefull offie if needed.Imo hes a far better choice than someone like Swampy Marsh or Warner at the top.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
What I found interesting was an article in The Age which said that the selectors see Hodge as only "bringing runs to the side", as he didn't bowl and wasn't a top class fielder. Reckon he's definitely a very good fielder, a rung below Clarke/Ponting, on the Hussey level. Took a few outfield screamers playing for Australia, and he bowls handy off-spin.

Played against him two weeks ago, and there's no doubt that he's just on another level to even his contemporaries such as Dussey and Rogers. But opening is about the only slot that you could play him in, and he hasn't really opened for the Vics in 50 over stuff.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
*snip - rubbish :oops:*

I'd definitely rather see him in the squad than Warner and probably Marsh too but we all know that Hodge won't be picked unless there are no other realistic options.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
You let out White PEWS. So that would basically mean in the top 6 there is no spot available. Since # 7 & all-rounder will play.

Unless as already mentioned, he would be a perfect swap for Clarke. But that wont happen.

But he could go as back-up in the 15-man squad instead of Dussey or Warner/Marsh for sure.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You let out White PEWS. So that would basically mean in the top 6 there is no spot available. Since # 7 & all-rounder will play.

Unless as already mentioned, he would be a perfect swap for Clarke. But that wont happen.

But he could go as back-up in the 15-man squad instead of Dussey or Warner/Marsh for sure.
:laugh: How did I possibly manage that? Dire effort.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The ban on picking Victorian batsmen* means he won't play.

*White doesn't count. He's an allrounder. :ph34r:

morgieb

It would be like England picking Ramprakash again. Yeh he probably deserves it, but he won't get picked again. Also, I have nfi that he wants to.

Mind, I'd pick him if he wanted to.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dwta, Ramps was tried, several times, and he failed.

Lodge was tried, he succeeded and then got banned anyway.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dwta, Ramps was tried, several times, and he failed.

Lodge was tried, he succeeded and then got banned anyway.
Hodge wasn't very successful in ODIs, really. He's not as conclusively tried and failed as Ramprakash but he was given a chance to cement a spot and didn't take it, unlike his Test axing which was curious at best.

Top_Cat

Hilditch becomes chief selector in 2006, Hodge plays his second-last Test in 2006 and is barely seen again in Tests/ODI's/T20's (a one-off Test in the WI in 2008 aside) despite being one of the world's best T20 players. The power of South Australians in the Aussie set-up is solidified with Vinny Nielsen becoming coach and we've barely seen a Victorian in the side since. Coincidence? :ph34r:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What I found interesting was an article in The Age which said that the selectors see Hodge as only "bringing runs to the side", as he didn't bowl and wasn't a top class fielder. Reckon he's definitely a very good fielder, a rung below Clarke/Ponting, on the Hussey level. Took a few outfield screamers playing for Australia, and he bowls handy off-spin.

Played against him two weeks ago, and there's no doubt that he's just on another level to even his contemporaries such as Dussey and Rogers. But opening is about the only slot that you could play him in, and he hasn't really opened for the Vics in 50 over stuff.
Haha, 'oh noez, he's only going to smash tons.'

sifter132

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Well I'm sick of hearing this. Maybe if Hodge's attitude changed it might help. Every interview I've heard with Hodge talking about his international chances, he just comes across as sour about not getting picked more often. I know most of you are thinking, well he deserved to be picked... Yeah maybe, but you have to show that you can put aside any ill feelings towards selectors/captains and that you are very keen to play. Hodge hasn't really proven either of those things IMHO. Hodge's attitude to international cricket is all a bit 'meh' at the moment. Plus his last series in 2008 was awful over in India. I don't see why we need to go back to Hodge when we've got so many promising players coming through. Middle order batting is not our weak area right now.

vcs

Well I'm sick of hearing this. Maybe if Hodge's attitude changed it might help. Every interview I've heard with Hodge talking about his international chances, he just comes across as sour about not getting picked more often. I know most of you are thinking, well he deserved to be picked... Yeah maybe, but you have to show that you can put aside any ill feelings towards selectors/captains and that you are very keen to play. Hodge hasn't really proven either of those things IMHO. Hodge's attitude to international cricket is all a bit 'meh' at the moment. Plus his last series in 2008 was awful over in India. I don't see why we need to go back to Hodge when we've got so many promising players coming through. Middle order batting is not our weak area right now.
He didn't play in India in 2008, UIMM. :huh:

Top_Cat

Couple of tough ones in the '05 Ashes too, KP I think. Pretty reliable fielder, tbh.

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
I played junior cricket with Hodge.

Sorry - IMHO, he is a world-class fielder. Great hands, bullet arm, puts his body on the line, fitter and faster than he looks.

If he was from NSW he would have played 60+ tests.

:ranting:

Anyway, I cannot see him getting another 1-day game.

Last edited: