• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Hodge for ODI's??

Spark

Global Moderator
Would've been a straight swap for Clarke.

Explains pretty well why he hasn't been picked.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBH, I only remember the catches because they were top outfielders catches and thought he was a reasonable chance of a spot in the XI when Clarke's back went and it was pretty clear Kat was struggling with the moving ball.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Haha, weird. I watched every ball of that series and I don't remember either of those catches, or even Hodge sub fielding at all. Was he actually part of the squad or just at the ground because he was playing county cricket that season?
He was the back-up batsman, from memory Hussey wasn't even in the squad.

robinjr

School Boy/Girl Captain
I brought up the fielding thing mainly to prove that he can play without bieng a burden on the field.fact that he's 35 and the selectors could ignore him by using his age as an excuse and say stuff like the fielding quality of the side could drop if you have a 35 year older or something...Hodge has no long term future but so are ODI's imo and no body realy care much about ODI's anymore unless its a worldcup or a champs trophy.If Hodgy is given a chance i'm sure he'll score a bag on those flat subby wickets and simply help Australia to win the cup more than somebody like Marsh would.

morgieb

Haha, weird. I watched every ball of that series and I don't remember either of those catches, or even Hodge sub fielding at all. Was he actually part of the squad or just at the ground because he was playing county cricket that season?
He actually was on tour, as the reserve batsman.

morgieb

Dwta, Ramps was tried, several times, and he failed.

Lodge was tried, he succeeded and then got banned anyway.
Tests, yeah. Hodge didn't play that well in ODI's, though, even though he wasn't a conclusive failure like Ramps.

Or just what PEWS said. :p

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, Hodge went on the 05 tour as reserve batsman. If he'd got a go instead of Clarke or Katich, it would have been interesting. In his "Captain's Diary" Ponting commented that he was a "different bloke" and liked to do his own thing. That kind of thing normally goes down well in the Aussie team.

Deserves a go, but won't get it. That ship sailed around the same time as Costello gave up on ever being PM. People criticize him for being bitter and whinging, but in fairness he spent a long time toeing the line and keeping shtum, and continuing to be farcically ignored or ludicrously dropped, before he decided he couldn't be bothered concealing the fact he thinks his continued non-selection was a joke anymore.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think his comments are whinging tbh. Bitter - yes. Very much so, the kind of bitterness that comes from doing everything imaginable and then some to get a place and not getting it. The kind of bitterness that comes from knowing you'll never get picked.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, Hodge went on the 05 tour as reserve batsman. If he'd got a go instead of Clarke or Katich, it would have been interesting. In his "Captain's Diary" Ponting commented that he was a "different bloke" and liked to do his own thing. That kind of thing normally goes down well in the Aussie team.
True. Matty Elliott lost all respect on that 99 WI tour, 'different bloke' too. Apparently S Waugh told him to f-off back to Australia.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's interesting, because one of Ponting's best mates in the side was a similarly stand-offish character, and perceived as a bit selfish by other players.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Are people seriously having a go at Hodge for eventually not biting his tongue anymore?

This is the guy's career/livelihood we're talking about, on top of his passion. If someone tears that away from you for no real reason despite you doing everything you possibly can (for tests and T20s at least), you have the right to eventually speak your mind.

I think he's got to the stage where he's accepted he'll never play intl cricket again, and it's resulting in him playing even better at domestic level.

Sylvester

State Captain
The problem for Hodge is hes more an opener/3 so batting him elsewhere brings him back to the playing field and he isn't as effective. The selectors seem to be set on Haddin/Paine and Watson as the opener and after that we have the captain and vice captain. A Watson/Hodge opening combo could be good but Hodge would probably need to hit a 100 in each of the games to even catch the selectors eye.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
When we get Watson, Haddin and Ponting back Hodge isn't really needed in our best XI.

He's obviously a better player than Marsh, Paine, Warner but the selectors are obviously looking to the future a bit with the one day side.

So frustrating for Hodge that he hasn't played much Cricket for Australia, but I always thought he was a bit inconsistent with his ODI performances. Tests on the other hand...