Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This obsession with how batsmen would do against all-time great dream lineups...

vcs

This obsession with how batsmen would do against all-time great dream lineups...

Is it unique to cricket fans? I mean, I don't often see football fans discussing how Maradona would do against a defence consisting of Maldini, Baresi, Thuram and Cafu for example. But I'm not a particularly die-hard football fan either, so maybe they do.

The point is, how important is it in practice, to be able to survive and score at an average of 50+ (or whatever determines greatness) against an attack of Marshall-Lillee-Hadlee-Warne(insert your own dream lineup here)? Now I'm not suggesting that minnow-bashing should be enough to bestow greatness on an individual, but really, how often do you come up against an all-time great bowling lineup in adverse conditions?

This post is relevant again here IMO.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

vcs
    Should really be made a sticky thread, that one.

International Regular
    Well you don't need to face bowlers with great records for it to be challenging. Sometimes even average bowlers have great spells where the conditions suit them and they genuinely bowl well.

People are just going to use your name to troll Cribbert. 'As PEWS said...this makes that this and you failz, lol'. Just putting it out here.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Should really be made a sticky thread, that one.
    The post I made which Uppercut quoted in his sig sums up my feelings on this one as neatly as possible though, I think:

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    A batsman's job - or responsibility if you like - is to find a technique that optimises his scoring in his own era; not develop a technique that'd work in any era at the expense of maximum output in current conditions just to satisfy people who wish to compare him with former players.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 21-10-2010 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    People are just going to use your name to troll Cribbert. 'As PEWS said...this makes that this and you failz, lol'. Just putting it out here.
    You did that the other day IIRC

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    Well you don't need to face bowlers with great records for it to be challenging. Sometimes even average bowlers have great spells where the conditions suit them and they genuinely bowl well.
    Exactly! And a great looking attack on paper can often have a mediocre day. I don't know, it's a bit naive to be looking at scorecards, filtering out matches involving certain players and drawing conclusions based on those averages if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    You did that the other day IIRC
    Yeah, the saying isn't 'Successful troll is successful' anymore. It is 'Successful is subtle'.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Not enough appreciation on here of great players for just being great players.

Crickets a game that lends itself to analysis though, so it makes sense this sort of thing would happen
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International Regular
    Exactly! And a great looking attack on paper can often have a mediocre day. I don't know, it's a bit naive to be looking at scorecards, filtering out matches involving certain players and drawing conclusions based on those averages if you ask me.
    Yeah only watching matches live can show how great of an innings batsmen actually played.

Banned
    Is it unique to cricket fans? I mean, I don't often see football fans discussing how Maradona would do against a defence consisting of Maldini, Baresi, Thuram and Cafu for example. But I'm not a particularly die-hard football fan either, so maybe they do.

The point is, how important is it in practice, to be able to survive and score at an average of 50+ (or whatever determines greatness) against an attack of Marshall-Lillee-Hadlee-Warne(insert your own dream lineup here)? Now I'm not suggesting that minnow-bashing should be enough to bestow greatness on an individual, but really, how often do you come up against an all-time great bowling lineup in adverse conditions?
    Good thread vcs.I think to a certain extent it is fun to speculate as to how,say,Sehwag would have done against Marshall and co.It gets annoying though when people use small samples involving certain players(often by using graphs and other fancy crap to make it appear more impressive) and then jump to conclusions based on it.Even more annoying is the argument that so and so's current technique wouldn't work in another era.So what?!!A player's job is to maximise output not to make sure that his technique or whatever gets the green signal from armchair "experts".

This line of thought happens in all sports.

AFL: "How good would Ablett have been in the era of flooding"
    Tennis: "How good would Federer and Sampras have been with wooden racquets"

People love to compare the greats, and also people love to say that the current greats aren't that good. People say we elevate our contemporaries too high, but an equal amount of tearing our contemporaries down because of some nostalgia happens as well.

Sehwag, Kallis and Ponting cop this a lot I reckon.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    It would make an interesting exercise to create a list of players currently in the game who are more suited to a past era.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Sehwag, Kallis and Ponting cop this a lot I reckon.
    Well he is not a good example in this case, the main reason with him is his low SR and no doubles.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information