• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

This obsession with how batsmen would do against all-time great dream lineups...

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There seems to be some impression about the place that a lot of pitches, and I mean a lot, in the 70s, 80s and 90s were green tops or mine fields. Umm, they weren't. Just saying.

There may have been more pitches about the place with something for fast bowlers in them, but the idea that every time a Chappell, Richards or Gavaskar scored a ton it was on an under-prepared, old-style WACA wicket with cracks a mile wide in it is just not the case.
This is exactly the sort of confirmation I was looking for from the old-timers (sorry, Burgey :ph34r:) when I started this thread.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hard work on the ol brain this cricket discussion!
Well, it tends to happen when aussie gets going on "modern-day FTBs". It's like sitting and fidgeting about in the back of the class when a boring lecturer gets started on his favourite theme, hoping for the bell to go.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well, it tends to happen when aussie gets going on "modern-day FTBs". It's like sitting and fidgeting about in the back of the class when a boring lecturer gets started on his favourite theme, hoping for the bell to go.
Ha, lovely. Well just like the boring lecturer, once the facts stick with the class & you go out & pass the exam. I would have done my job.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
There seems to be some impression about the place that a lot of pitches, and I mean a lot, in the 70s, 80s and 90s were green tops or mine fields. Umm, they weren't. Just saying.

There may have been more pitches about the place with something for fast bowlers in them, but the idea that every time a Chappell, Richards or Gavaskar scored a ton it was on an under-prepared, old-style WACA wicket with cracks a mile wide in it is just not the case.
Agree, I just cant fathom the craziness that gets spewed on the internet. Plenty of slow low flat decks in the 70's and 80's, plenty. Lillee had to bowl his bloody arse off most of the time, he didnt just amble in and grab 7 fer without trying. I'm all for giving the 70's guys more credit, but not overstating their abilities to crazy lengths.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Agree, I just cant fathom the craziness that gets spewed on the internet. Plenty of slow low flat decks in the 70's and 80's, plenty. Lillee had to bowl his bloody arse off most of the time, he didnt just amble in and grab 7 fer without trying. I'm all for giving the 70's guys more credit, but not overstating their abilities to crazy lengths.
Indeed. Which is one of the reasons although the 70s & 80s had its solid share of bowler friendly decks. Flat decks where around, thus who have called Lillee a greenttop bully, prentending that no flat decks were present in AUS, WI & ENG tests are way off the mark.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed. Which is one of the reasons although the 70s & 80s had its solid share of bowler friendly decks. Flat decks where around, thus who have called Lillee a greenttop bully, prentending that no flat decks where present in AUS, WI & ENG tests are way off the mark.
Would you mind explaining the usage of the word in that sentence ? Is this a new trend or some sort of Shakespearean usage that is making a come back ?