• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Bowling Action

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Lillee an awesome sight running in.

Brett Lee could bowl super fast and I just loved his celebration style too.

Imran, the bowling action that inspired thousands to imitate him. I tried to copy it too tbh but it was really tough to copy it.
Imran's got an interesting action IMO. Bowls faster than he looks*.

*for some reason I am thinking he bowled about 140+kph. Is that true?

bagapath

International Captain

he was in the 140+ category till 1984, possibly touching 150+ speeds during certain spells in 81-82. he cut down on pace post 1987 but some rockets were fired occasionally. in his last two years, though, he was probably bowling only at around 125 kmph. akram's career also had a similar pattern, in my opinion, except that he was closer to 130 even in his final season.

slog sweep

Cricket Spectator
How many were drawn though? Winnng percentage more relevant for bowlers, I imagine, and losing percentage for batsmen.

The West Indies didn't lose a Test series between 1980 and 1995, and Marshall and Holding were arguably the two greatest match-winners in that legendary team, so they won plenty.
Between ' 83 and ' 86, the favored opening combination was Marshall and Holding, with Joel Garner coming on first change. With both in the team, they played 33 tests, won 22, drew 10 and only lost once in a dead rubber. So they won just under 70%. As individual bowlers they were not only mesmerizing to watch and freakishly skillful, but as an opening combination they were pretty close to unbeatable.

smash84

The Tiger King
Edit/ For fast bowlers I can't go past Waqar in his prime. Made me jizz my pants as a boy - even though I had nothing to jizz.
:laugh::laugh:

Ian Chappell is on record to suggest that in 1981 when he faced Imran he seemed to him to be quicker than Thomson but that is quite subjective. He came out third behind Thommo and Holding in the fast bowlers competition in Australia in 1979. He was quicker in the 79-82 era before his injury. Richie Benaud reckons in ESPN Legends of cricket that Imran would have been around 87-88 mph generally which would be 140+ km.

I am not sure he bowls faster than he looks. That jump before the delivery seemed to allow him to put a lot of power in the delivery.

he was in the 140+ category till 1984, possibly touching 150+ speeds during certain spells in 81-82. he cut down on pace post 1987 but some rockets were fired occasionally. in his last two years, though, he was probably bowling only at around 125 kmph. akram's career also had a similar pattern, in my opinion, except that he was closer to 130 even in his final season.
Yeah agree about his pace in 81-82. Ian Chappell said that he found him faster than Thommo. Akram probably relied more on shoulder only. In his last season when he was pushing it I remember him bowling 135+ (near 140) in 2003 WC.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Most of the blokes I'd mention - Lindwall, Larwood, Donald, Lillee - have already been called (though, incidentally, how ****ing beautiful to watch would the all-time letter "L" attack be?), so I'll give a shout-out to one who has been thus far overlooked:

Ted McDonald

smash84

The Tiger King
Most of the blokes I'd mention - Lindwall, Larwood, Donald, Lillee - have already been called (though, incidentally, how ****ing beautiful to watch would the all-time letter "L" attack be?), so I'll give a shout-out to one who has been thus far overlooked:

Ted McDonald
Who's he????

JBH001

International Regular
Fast bowler from the early 1920s. Opened the bowling for Australia with Gregory.

Apparently caused JBH a fair bit of trouble.

bagapath

International Captain
how ****ing beautiful to watch would the all-time letter "L" attack be?
Tony "L"ock occasionally chucked. but Jim "L"aker had a beautiful action. Lillee, Larwood, Lindwall and Laker would make a formidable, and beautiful, bowling attack.