• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Bowling Action

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Incidentally your own namesake Goughy had a very nice action. He too used to jump quite high at the crease.
He did and he was very side on. I wouldnt coach that. But also if that was a kids natural action then I wouldnt change it.

On the plus side for him, he hit the crease hard and had the benefit of a fast bowlers backside :)

smash84

The Tiger King
Lillee
Hadlee
Waqar
Donald
Sreesanth

I remember seeing a clip of O'Reilly bowling, in the website of an Australian newspaper, an year or so ago. I cannot locate it now, but what an action it was!
might be on youtube too........I might as well check it out too.........

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ye. When you talk about beautiful off-spinners action. Jim Laker is the best example in test history i'd say.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Jesus, can't believe no one has mentioned Dennis Lillee. Was a thing of beauty. Hadlee too. Garner and Holding both had great actions.

Here's some early DK from the World XI tour in the early 70s. A great side-on piece there of his action pre-back injury.

YouTube - Dennis Lillee: 8-29 against World 11
Haha, the second wicket there is a great example of the difference in bats between now and then. The sound that the bat makes, and how it comes off the bat even though it's off the toe, would be so much different nowadays.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
McG's the best for mine, athletic and economical but got enough pace and bounce.

Waqar's the ***iest.

One thing about McGrath is that, most people's actions are in perpetual movement. McGrath's was so repeatable, looked the same in 1997 as 2007.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Vettori has a fabulous action.
Hmm, it's nice, but it's not really effective as it was before his back problems. Doesn't get the purchase that he used to and the spin that we see early in his career (trying to find his hauls vs Aus early in his career).

smash84

The Tiger King
One thing about McGrath is that, most people's actions are in perpetual movement. McGrath's was so repeatable, looked the same in 1997 as 2007.
That is so true. Most of the bowler's actions change a lot over time. McGrath was not one of those.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, the second wicket there is a great example of the difference in bats between now and then. The sound that the bat makes, and how it comes off the bat even though it's off the toe, would be so much different nowadays.
Also what a difference helmets make. Nowadays you dont get top order batsmen backing away like that with them all armoured up.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
This thread is much more enjoyable to read when you substitute the word "ass" for "action" in every instance.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha it was like he was playing with those plastic Cricket Australia bats.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
BTW, didn't Agarkar have a great bowling action. He also had good pace and could swing the ball at will. But like Sami, it would never be clear why he was such a spectacular failure.

smash84

The Tiger King
BTW, didn't Agarkar have a great bowling action. He also had good pace and could swing the ball at will. But like Sami, it would never be clear why he was such a spectacular failure.
Agarkar was a pretty decent one day bowler for the first 50 matches of his career. It was downhill after that. That seems to be the case with some other indian bowlers (the pathan brothers etc) too.

As for Sami..........I think the reason he failed was that he had lots of talent but no brain so he couldn't utilize his talent.

Which reminds me. Sami has a terrible bowling action.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Rusty Theron...

Taking on where Paul Adams left off or the only action that ends in the fetal position.