• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Bowling Action

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Pace men - Allan Donald, Wasim Akram and Chaminda Vaas
Finger spinners - Daniel Vettori and Aravinda de Silva
Wrist spinners - Anil Kumble

Himannv

International Coach
Hall - Haven't seen him live but watched a fair few clips. Lovely action.

Lindwall - Very textbook and easy on the eye. Nice to watch.

Vaas - One of the few left arm quicks with a very nice, easy on the eye, action. Loved the way he hides the ball while reversing the old ball as well.

Anderson - For some reason I really like his action. I know his head isn't steady but I love the rhythm and clean flow of it.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Hall - Haven't seen him live but watched a fair few clips. Lovely action.

Lindwall - Very textbook and easy on the eye. Nice to watch.

Vaas - One of the few left arm quicks with a very nice, easy on the eye, action. Loved the way he hides the ball while reversing the old ball as well.

Anderson - For some reason I really like his action. I know his head isn't steady but I love the rhythm and clean flow of it.
most sub cont left arms have an awesome action (Vaas,Wasim,Aamer,Zaheer,RP) its the others:ph34r: that are not very pleasing to the eye.

kingkallis

International Coach
most sub cont left arms have an awesome action (Vaas,Wasim,Aamer,Zaheer,RP) its the others:ph34r: that are not very pleasing to the eye.
Add Kiwis to the list cause both Shyne O'Connor and Geoff Allott had lovely actions as well...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Lee and Donald for me. Nothing controversial in those choices really. Smooth, athletic and things of beauty.

In terms of economy of movement and simplicity, you cant go past Hadlee. Marshall was also very classical.

Actions like those of like Waqar, Bond and Shoaib require a special individual due to the stresses on the body their action places.

As a fading fast bowler and a coach, Im in the interesting position of modeling my 5 yr olds action. We are only goofing around at the moment as I feel 5 is far too young to do anything serious but Im really feeling the Tate, Thomson action as the best route. Less technical and complicated.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Lee and Donald for me. Nothing controversial in those choices really. Smooth, athletic and things of beauty.

In terms of economy of movement and simplicity, you cant go past Hadlee. Marshall was also very classical.

Guys like Waqar, Bond and Shoaib require a special individual due to the stresses on the body their action places.

As a fading fast bowler and a coach, Im in the interesting position of modeling my 5 yr olds action. We are only goofing around at the moment as I feel 5 is far too young to do anything serious but Im really feeling the Tate, Thomson action as the best route. Less technical and complicated.
You are in a nice position. What's your take on the high bowling jump actions like Gillespie, Kapil Dev, Imran Khan??? I think they look really cool. Can your son try one of those????

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
You are in a nice position. What's your take on the high bowling jump actions like Gillespie, Kapil Dev, Imran Khan??? I think they look really cool. Can your son try one of those????
I dont like overly complicated actions. They do work for special players but dont for the majority. A high leap adds another moving part to the machinery and another variable that can add inconsistency and another cog that can fail. Its also difficult to maintain momentum through the crease and balance with a high leap.

Aestetically, they are attractive but I will not be coaching that style to anyone soon. Especially not Kapils action. It was wonderful for him but that side on, looking over the shoulder technique isnt, IMO, the best way to develop genuine quicks and is a little dated nowadays.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
I dont like overly complicated actions. They do work for special players but dont for the majority. A high leap adds another moving part to the machinery and another variable that can add inconsistency and another cog that can fail. Its also difficult to maintain momentum through the crease and balance with a high leap.

Aestetically, they are attractive but I will not be coaching that style to anyone soon. Especially not Kapils action. It was wonderful for him but that side on, looking over the shoulder technique isnt, IMO, the best way to develop genuine quicks and is a little dated nowadays.
Ok. That means there will be one lesser bowler in the future having that high jump action :)..........

I wish you all the best with the coaching.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Lillee
Hadlee
Waqar
Donald
Sreesanth

I remember seeing a clip of O'Reilly bowling, in the website of an Australian newspaper, an year or so ago. I cannot locate it now, but what an action it was!

smash84

The Tiger King

Incidentally your own namesake Goughy had a very nice action. He too used to jump quite high at the crease.