• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC to use undercover agents to entrap players

Shri

Mr. Glass
Great idea imo. Catch the bastards who don't report incidents. They are as bad as the actual fixers. If they report every damn incident, a few people would be caught and careers of more players could be saved.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Good idea in principal, but they definitely need to sort out their confidentiality when players report stuff. Also I imagine this may be illegal, I'm not sure?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Good idea in principal, but they definitely need to sort out their confidentiality when players report stuff. Also I imagine this may be illegal, I'm not sure?
It would depend on how it's done and where. Also, the ACA is correct - ICC needs to sort out its confidentiality issues first.

Shri

Mr. Glass
It would depend on how it's done and where. Also, the ACA is correct - ICC needs to sort out its confidentiality issues first.
Meh, if the players can be forced into accepting the WADA clauses for the good of the came, they should be forced to accept these too.

pasag

RTDAS
Don't actually have to do anything just need the fear of the fact it could be icc or a journo to stop the rot. Also harsh penalties for those caught of course.

Themer

U19 Cricketer
I'm not legal expert but seeing as though the ICC isn't the police or law and work to their own code of conduct I'd guess they'd be allowed to do it.

Whether the players are willing to accept this is another thing entirely. Should be used in my opinion would definitely cut down the instances of cheating and would force players to tell authorities of the shady people around the game.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
How in the future will the match-fixers be able to convince the players that they're not ICC spies? By threatening them rather than simply bribing them. So I'd expect an increase in the level of threats rather than simple bribery.

That said, my initial reaction is that I'm in favour. Using entrapment, the News of the World managed pretty easily to do what the Anti-Corruption Unit had spectacularly failed ever to do. I'm not 100% sure of the legal position (which may well vary a bit from country to country in any case) but in principle it seems sensible to me.

If players don't like the invasion of their privacy, tough. Cricket fans, who ultimately are the ones that count, like even less the fact that the integrity of the game has been undermined; drastic action is needed to repair that. It's not unlike drugs testing of athletes, which obviously entails invasion of privacy and restriction of freedom, but on balance is well worth it.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't really care about the player's privacy but if players offering up anything other than unsolicited info then being reported by a 'spy' end up not getting thrown out of court, I'd be surprised.

These sorts of things always sound good until they're put before a judge. Helps in fishing for names but in terms of actual penalties, big question marks.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The US is much more bothered about entrapment than (say) the English Courts. Of the recent News of the World stings, for instance, I don't think any (or many) have been kicked out because evidence was obtained through entrapment.

Besides I'm not sure if this is designed to result in criminal prosecutions in any case, I'd imagine it's designed for internal disciplinary purposes where there'd be less likelihood of evidence getting kicked out because it was obtained via entrapment.

Themer

U19 Cricketer
Besides I'm not sure if this is designed to result in criminal prosecutions in any case, I'd imagine it's designed for internal disciplinary purposes where there'd be less likelihood of evidence getting kicked out because it was obtained via entrapment.
Exactly the point I was trying to get to. Doubt they could do anything in a court of law but for internal use I see no reason why they can't do it.

Redbacks

International Captain
The US is much more bothered about entrapment than (say) the English Courts. Of the recent News of the World stings, for instance, I don't think any (or many) have been kicked out because evidence was obtained through entrapment.
Was the recent sting entrapment or were the secret cameras capturing what was already about to take place?

In the case of active entrapment, then perhaps the penalties would have to be reduced as premeditation is removed and the player is reacting to a fictitious opportunity which they could claim they never would have taken had they not been coaxed into it. Passive on the other had would involve the player seeking out a method of cheating, worthy of a definite life ban, but I doubt this occurs an many cases. A 'smart' cheat would reason and avoid this latter situation given the high likelihood of actors willing to present them with first kind of opportunity already existing in the world.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Great idea imo. Catch the bastards who don't report incidents. They are as bad as the actual fixers. If they report every damn incident, a few people would be caught and careers of more players could be saved.
Kinda agree with that.

Had there been people reporting such issues. Some damage control was possible.