• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC to use undercover agents to entrap players

Redbacks

International Captain
Kinda agree with that.

Had there been people reporting such issues. Some damage control was possible.
The mafia/organised crime generally sort this kind of thing out quick smart (prisoner's dilemma). Make the penalty for breaking rank greater than that for not talking and you put players in a very tricky situation.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Was the recent sting entrapment or were the secret cameras capturing what was already about to take place?

In the case of active entrapment, then perhaps the penalties would have to be reduced as premeditation is removed and the player is reacting to a fictitious opportunity which they could claim they never would have taken had they not been coaxed into it. Passive on the other had would involve the player seeking out a method of cheating, worthy of a definite life ban, but I doubt this occurs an many cases. A 'smart' cheat would reason and avoid this latter situation given the high likelihood of actors willing to present them with first kind of opportunity already existing in the world.
Not sure about the recent cricket sting - I have a feeling (but am not sure) that I read that the no-balls were going to be bowled even before the NOTW came on board. But that doesn't meant that this wasn't entrapment: even if the NOTW bought its way into a pre-arranged fix, the NOTW was still sold a piece of the action, which would amount to a self-standing act of corruption by the players (whose agent did the deal, and who ended up personally receiving the money) under the relevant codes of conduct.

In the case of snooker player John Higgins I think it was pretty straightforward entrapment - no suggestion that the fixing wouldn't have happened had it not been for the sting - but that didn't prevent him being convicted on the strength of the NOTW's evidence (he got off the most serious charge but was convicted of the other).

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
The mafia/organised crime generally sort this kind of thing out quick smart (prisoner's dilemma). Make the penalty for breaking rank greater than that for not talking and you put players in a very tricky situation.
Sorry i am having a hard time understanding your point.

smash84

The Tiger King
How in the future will the match-fixers be able to convince the players that they're not ICC spies? By threatening them rather than simply bribing them. So I'd expect an increase in the level of threats rather than simple bribery.

That said, my initial reaction is that I'm in favour. Using entrapment, the News of the World managed pretty easily to do what the Anti-Corruption Unit had spectacularly failed ever to do. I'm not 100% sure of the legal position (which may well vary a bit from country to country in any case) but in principle it seems sensible to me.

If players don't like the invasion of their privacy, tough. Cricket fans, who ultimately are the ones that count, like even less the fact that the integrity of the game has been undermined; drastic action is needed to repair that. It's not unlike drugs testing of athletes, which obviously entails invasion of privacy and restriction of freedom, but on balance is well worth it.
Well stated.

Sorry i am having a hard time understanding your point.
He is using the idea of the prisoner's dilemma from the Game Theory in Economics.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The article where the ACA sought to convert the issue into an opportunity to make themselves seem relevant was amusing to state the least.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Entrapment isn't a defence in England although there is a "safety valve" whereby evidence can be excluded if "the admission of the evidence would have such an adverse effect on the fairness of the proceedings that it ought to be excluded"

Goes against the grain for me though - not in favour and I can't see it working for anyone ......................... other than Bruce Grobbelaar of course, whose consultancy services will be in demand

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
What a Stupid idea. ICC is like PCB, when you think that they can't be any more Dumb, they come up with a Dumber idea.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Old story - only those who do the wrong thing would need to have anything to fear. But don't let that stop us from avoiding sensible measures to protect our society!

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
A sensible measure to protect our society would be getting rid of the Collingwood Football Club tbh.

Matt79

Global Moderator
See that CGU signed on for a seven year, $14 million dollar sponsorship? You guys still broke? Lol.