• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shaftab Khalid

Bazza

International 12th Man
Aftab Khalid

Young Worcs off spinner, apparently short listed for the academy this winter. I was wondering what Chris Hinton can tell us about him?

Hasn't played much cricket but according to the commentators he has a wrong un, ala Murali/Saqlain!

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
well as a Worcestershire supporter i suppose i could answer a few :)

First off his name is Shaftab Khalid, so you only missed 2 letters off :)

He was basically born in pakistan but moved to england at a young age, his hero is Saqlian (as you'd easily tell by the fact his action is almost identicle).
He spins the ball alot and has a brillient 'mystery' ball.
But the thing that lets him down is his accuracy, he goes for alot of runs atm just because he cant bowl 2 balls on the same spot.
But he's only 20 and he's being picked for the acadamy more on potential than what he has done in the past.
He's found games for worcestershire hard with Batty doing so well, but with a stint at the acadamy and maybe Batty playing some tests next year he may well get the games he needs.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
hehe ;)
I could point out that Batty has got where he is today cos he floats the ball up more than any other english spinner ive seen this season :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Shaftab guy was on the telly a couple of days ago - he got a bit of tap but he was prepared to give the ball a bit of flight.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Yes Eddie that's what made me ask about him. Still haven't heard form Chris? :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He has the potential to be class Chris.

If he were class now, he'd be playing regularly for county or even country.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
yer marcs on the spot..

Anyway im sure he will change seeing hes attending academy etc..

Anyway at the main English academy who are the employed coaches..? eg the key figures

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
lord_of_darkness said:
Anyway im sure he will change seeing hes attending academy etc..
Matthew Wood, Ian Bell etc. would not agree entirely with that statement...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Matthew Wood, Ian Bell etc. would not agree entirely with that statement...
2nd seasons are historically more difficult - and I would say that in some ways the Academy has helped Bell - he worked a lot on bowling when out there, and is beginning to put that into use in County Cricket - always a handy thing to be able to do, fill in a few overs.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
2nd seasons are historically more difficult - and I would say that in some ways the Academy has helped Bell - he worked a lot on bowling when out there, and is beginning to put that into use in County Cricket - always a handy thing to be able to do, fill in a few overs.
Yes, but what I was getting at was that going to the academy does not immediately mean your going to get better. If Khalid can't bowl 2 balls in the same place it's because of 2 reasons:

1. He has hardly any co-ordination
2. He tries too much and hasn't sat down and tried to bowl the ball in the right place consistantly.

The academy can help him in the 2nd respect. But you should not immediately think it will improve the player, however much help they are given, it's up to the player. Another example is Graeme Swann, very talented all-rounder yet he's fallen away since he went to the Academy, although his slump really started when he came back from South Africa.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Is that the same Graeme Swann who has 26 wickets at 23 this season Rik?

Also, isn't Rod Marsh overseeing the Academy?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Bazza said:
Is that the same Graeme Swann who has 26 wickets at 23 this season Rik?

Also, isn't Rod Marsh overseeing the Academy?
Indeed it is the same Graeme Swann, but remember he took 7 for barely anything on a pitch that looked more like the moon than anything else. He's been helped by the Northants pitch no end by all reports. It's just a case of the stats not showing the full story. Remember how much he struggled last year?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
He's been helped by the Northants pitch no end by all reports. It's just a case of the stats not showing the full story. Remember how much he struggled last year?

I guess those reasons are also why no Brown in the squad.