• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket’s great Bradman barrier

Slifer

International Captain
Reasonable article and I can understand the adulation but still Don>> SRT>= Viv, Chappell, Hobbs, Lara, Hammond etc etc etc.

Dissector

International Debutant
To be honest there have been other players who have had one or two years at the level of Sachin in 2010. Ponting had a year (2003?) where he averaged over 100. Neil Harvey was extraordinary for the first year or two of his career. Sobers had an amazing year when he scored that triple hundred. Viv in 1976. And so on. So while Sachin has been amazing it's not unprecedented in the post-war era.

Dissector

International Debutant
And forget the Bradman barrier. I would like to see the first batsman break the 60 barrier in terms of career average after the end of a long career (100+tests). No one has done it many have come close in the last decade: Sachin, Ponting, Dravid and Kallis. Ponting has been the closest actually breaking the 60 barrier during the first innings of one of the Ashes 2006 tests but it was almost like a curse and his career average has been moving steadily south since then. Now it's not looking likely that any of the current greats will do it. I suppose the way he is going Sachin has a small chance if he plays for 2-3 more years but I wouldn't bet on it.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To be honest there have been other players who have had one or two years at the level of Sachin in 2010. Ponting had a year (2003?) where he averaged over 100. Neil Harvey was extraordinary for the first year or two of his career. Sobers had an amazing year when he scored that triple hundred. Viv in 1976. And so on. So while Sachin has been amazing it's not unprecedented in the post-war era.
Certainly not. I'm sure Yousuf, Jayawardene, Sangakkara and Chanderpaul also have similar seasons of stellar success somewhere in their careers. I think the article is trying to make the point that Tendulkar's longevity might be very hard to replicate in the future. Of course he had the advantage of starting off at 16, which is extremely rare.

Dissector

International Debutant
Yeah the sheer longevity of Sachin's career is amazing especially given the amount of cricket he has played and the pressure he has faced from such a young age. So yes in that sense Sachin is unique; no one has played so much international cricket, test and ODI, and excelled over such a long period.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with dissector. If these career best ratings are any indication, there are a few whose peak has been superior to Tendulkar's:

Reliance Mobile ICC Player Rankings

Although currently 891, he has a chance to better his previous best

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Reasonable article and I can understand the adulation but still Don>> SRT>= Viv, Chappell, Hobbs, Lara, Hammond etc etc etc.
How can it be impossible to do the Sachin when he arguably isn't the second best batsmen?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Whenever I read an article that tries to put Tendulkar on the same level as The Don I die a little inside.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I read recently, and no Richard didn't write it but would no doubt approve, that if you applied the First Chance Average to Bradman's test career it would still be 75 - so even if you judge the bloke by a different set of rules he's still the best - well the best apart from Andy Ganteaume, obviously :)

JBMAC

State Captain
I read recently, and no Richard didn't write it but would no doubt approve, that if you applied the First Chance Average to Bradman's test career it would still be 75 - so even if you judge the bloke by a different set of rules he's still the best - well the best apart from Andy Ganteaume, obviously :)
Not many on here would appreciate that irony fred:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Who knows what tendulkar might have averaged in bradmans era,Unless man invents a time machine we will never know how good different players will be in different era's.

-http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/has-modern-master-tendulkar-eclipsed-the-don/story-e6frg7t6-1225940394482