• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TVS Challenger Trophy

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
1/ Dravid in Tests is ranked 7, Ganguly is number 40 (below Shaun Pollock, or is he a world class batsman?)
In Odi's, it's 16 and 15.

2/ Now tell me they're better than SRT, Ponting, Lara etc. (the real world Class players)
1/ Player rankings are purely an indication of current form so strike any reference to such rankings from an argument as to the class of a player. They mean nothing.

2/ So a player has to be better than the upper crust of cricket to be world class? IMO Dravid is a world-class Test batsman... but then again, I would also call Chanderpaul world class. My opinion of a world-class batsman is a batsman who you can look to to score a large amount of runs on a consistent basis and all the named players can do so IMO.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
1/ Player rankings are purely an indication of current form so strike any reference to such rankings from an argument as to the class of a player. They mean nothing.
But the World Class players manage to stay high up when not in top form.

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
SO are you telling me you do not consider Rahul Dravid...Rahul Dravid who IMO has one of the best batting techniques and is one if the most consistent batsmen in the world not to be world class?

Even though i consider Ganguly world class as well, i can understand why you may not, as i think he is a bit consistent...

But Dravid? i really dont get it..Here is a batsman who most people consider to be among the like of SRT, Ponting, Vaughn Lara who are IMO the 5 best batsmen in the world..

V Reddy

International Debutant
Yeah his avg in tests has always been above 50 and his overseas record too has always been above 50. In his early years he had problems in onedayers but since the NZ tour in 1998 he avg has increased from around 31 to around 38 now. And his SR has been in the 80's too since that tour and he bats in the middle order where it is very difficult to score heavily.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Since the 1st of January 1998, Dravid has 5073 ODI runs at 40.58 with 7 hundreds and 33 fifties. He averaged 34.78 before that.

Since the 22nd of December 1999, Dravid has scored 2939 Test runs in 36 matches at 55.45 per innings. He has 8 hundreds and 12 fifties in that time. His career Test average is 53.46.

Mr Mxyzptlk

With the 3rd highest Test avge of current players and the 16th highest of all-time, I wouldn't say Dravid's done too badly for himself.