Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Test Team World Rankings

School Boy/Girl Cricketer heathrf1974's Avatar

Test Team World Rankings

I'm still a bit confused by the current test team world rankings. I believe India should be number 1 but Australia shouldn't be fifth. Anyway I did some number crunching and formed the table below. This table is based on the most recent home and away test series between each of the top eight nations. A series win=+1, draw=0 and loss=-1.

Team Series Win Series Draw Series Loss Total
    Australia 10 1 3 +7
    South Africa 9 3 2 +7
    India 8 3 3 +5
    Sri Lanka 5 5 4 +1
    England 5 2 7 -2
    Pakistan 4 4 6 -2
    New Zealand 1 5 8 -7
    West Indies 1 3 10 -9

However, these results include a handful of test series going back to 2002, due to some countries having not toured at some places for a while (i.e. New Zealnd in Pakistan).

So I gathered info over the last four years based on the win/loss ratio of these teams that is shown below

Team W/L ratio
    South Africa 2.30
    Australia 2.27
    India 2.11
    Sri Lanka 1.87
    England 1.33
    New Zealand 0.46
    Pakistan 0.42
    West Indies 0.16

Anyway I just find some of the rankings confusing and yes I do have a lot of time on my hands today. Any opinions on these tables and/or the current ranking system?

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    What are the win loss ratios for the past two years. Perhaps that would be a better indicator of the current rankings. Rather than the last 4 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Australia conveniently above India I see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    In fairness to the ICC's system, "the rankings are also weighted to give preference to recent form and take no account at all of matches played more than three years ago." (from an Andrew Hughes article)

Just looking at the last three years, its interesting to note that Australia's win-loss ratio drops to 1.81 in the last three years, which actually places them around fourth or fifth (which coincides with their ranking on the official ICC table). Their recent form (three consecutive losses) certainly doesn't help them in making their way up the table either. Taking all that into consideration I tend to think that the ICC rankings are a reasonable representation of where the teams stand.

India will start to take a hit on the rankings from 2014 or so then.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    What are the win loss ratios for the past two years. Perhaps that would be a better indicator of the current rankings. Rather than the last 4 years.
    Australia's ratio drops even more drastically to 1.40 over the last two years (although I will admit that its up to 2.66 this year despite their recent three losses since they didn't drop a home test in 2010 and beat NZ 2-0).

Used to be the old CW Rankings that were a more accurate representation of where the teams stand. Current one tends to punish teams who don't play enough.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

at the gulf of difference in the win-loss ratio between India and the next 4 teams.

W/L ratios against the top 8 teams since 2008

India - 2.16

South Africa - 1.71

England - 1.63

Sri Lanka - 1.6

Australia - 1.54

Pakistan - 0.3

West Indies - 0.18

New Zealand - 0.16

Lol'n at the thought of what our Ratio would have been if we got play 7 games against this Pak outfit too tbh.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    at the gulf of difference in the win-loss ratio between India and the next 4 teams.

India - 2.16

South Africa - 1.71

England - 1.63

Sri Lanka - 1.6

Australia - 1.54

Pakistan - 0.3

West Indies - 0.18

New Zealand - 0.16

Lol'n at the thought of what our Ratio would have been if we got play 7 games against this Pak outfit too tbh.
    loln at the thought of India playing away from the sub-continent...
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Just ftr we still have a W/R record of 2 outside the subcontinent over the same period. However, I fully agree that it is too small a sample size to be worth considering. Our real test will be against SA later this year.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Just ftr we still have a W/R record of 2 outside the subcontinent over the same period. However, I fully agree that it is too small a sample size to be worth considering. Our real test will be against SA later this year.
    Same with Sri Lanka too. When have they last played a test series outside the SC...maybe I forgot one?

ftr I wouldn't have aus as no.2 like the rankings in the OP

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Used to be the old CW Rankings that were a more accurate representation of where the teams stand. Current one tends to punish teams who don't play enough.
    How exactly does the current system penalise sides? It's done on an average per games played.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    In fairness to the ICC's system, "the rankings are also weighted to give preference to recent form and take no account at all of matches played more than three years ago." (from an Andrew Hughes article)

Just looking at the last three years, its interesting to note that Australia's win-loss ratio drops to 1.81 in the last three years, which actually places them around fourth or fifth (which coincides with their ranking on the official ICC table). Their recent form (three consecutive losses) certainly doesn't help them in making their way up the table either. Taking all that into consideration I tend to think that the ICC rankings are a reasonable representation of where the teams stand.
    The bolded is pretty much whats wrong the ICC ranking system or any ranking system in general. Thats a ridiculous way to judge who is the best.

As I always say, I simply propose to have no ranking system at all. The purpose it serves isn't a purpose worth serving IMO.

The flaws are insoluble. You will never get a ranking system that does what some people want done - tells you unequivocally which team is "best". Because sometimes there is no "best" as it is right now.
    Last edited by aussie; 15-10-2010 at 12:05 PM.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer heathrf1974's Avatar

India - 2.16

South Africa - 1.71

England - 1.63

Sri Lanka - 1.6

Australia - 1.54

Pakistan - 0.3

West Indies - 0.18

New Zealand - 0.16

That's a bloody good list. They must largely weigh it on the last two years. Cheers.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information