• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes, that would be great.... IF NZ could produce at least one international quality player in each position... which they can't. Remember the Hadlee era? One great player, a couple of good players, the rest were crap and NZ enjoyed one of it's most successful periods in international cricket.
One of the more odd arguments I've seen tbh. Just because that's how New Zealand were a good side before doesn't mean that's how they'll be one again. Giving Hopkins a free ride as part of a supposedly mandatory quota of crap players but giving it to Taylor for not being the most consistent batsman of all time is such an arse about face way of looking at things. It's a lot easier to find eleven decent to good players who can all contribute on a semi-regular basis than it is to find one of the best ten cricketers of all time. This "player to carry the team" obsession is probably holding New Zealand back if it's more than just you that holds this opinion tbh.

BeeGee

International Captain
One of the more odd arguments I've seen tbh. Just because that's how New Zealand were a good side before doesn't mean that's how they'll be one again. Giving Hopkins a free ride as part of a supposedly mandatory quota of crap players but giving it to Taylor for not being the most consistent batsman of all time is such an arse about face way of looking at things. It's a lot easier to find eleven decent to good players who can all contribute on a semi-regular basis than it is to find one of the best ten cricketers of all time. This "player to carry the team" obsession is probably holding New Zealand back if it's more than just you that holds this opinion tbh.
It is? Then name your 11 decent to good NZ players.

EDIT: You're missing my point. The world class players don't have to be found, they're already in the team: Vettori, Taylor and Mills. The problem is that they're not performing.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, that would be great.... IF NZ could produce at least one international quality player in each position... which they can't. Remember the Hadlee era? One great player, a couple of good players, the rest were crap and NZ enjoyed one of it's most successful periods in international cricket.
Just trying to remember our typical team - but it probably looked something like

Wright - good player
Franklin - Did a job for us
Jones - good test player
Crowe
Greatbatch - good player
Coney - good player
Hadlee
Bracewell
Smith
Morrison
Chatfield

Who were the crap players - Chatfield and Morrison were great role players. The only questionable player was Franklin.

Mike5181

International Captain
I dont think i have ever seen a NZ ODI bowling unit being dominated this much..Serious questions will be asked after this series.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
It’s India. The ODI series between them and South Africa the wickets were 400 par minimum. Blame the NZ batsmen. The average RR for this ground is over 5.5 runs an over.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
You're talking about Franklin right? Much better Test bowler too.

Really, we're talking about a played who proved himself as a Test standard opening bowler before getting injured who is still capable of bowling pretty similar stuff (135kph at times, big left arm outswingers) when he doesn't drop his head, a
If he always bowled 135kms then all would be good - when he operates at 125ks he isn't quick enough for the movement that he gets.

Mike5181

International Captain
If he always bowled 135kms then all would be good - when he operates at 125ks he isn't quick enough for the movement that he gets.
Remember back in the day he used to bowl 140+ easy but then he got injured and now concentrates on his batting a lot more and rarely hits the low 130s.

BeeGee

International Captain
Just trying to remember our typical team - but it probably looked something like

Wright - good player
Franklin - Did a job for us
Jones - good test player
Crowe
Greatbatch - good player
Coney - good player
Hadlee
Bracewell
Smith
Morrison
Chatfield

Who were the crap players - Chatfield and Morrison were great role players. The only questionable player was Franklin.
My use of the term "crap" is grade A hyperbole. But here is an example of how I would rate players of the Hadlee era (as a sample I chose the '85 team that beat the Aussies in Brisbane):

BA Edgar - Poor
JG Wright - Good
JF Reid - Good
MD Crowe - Good
JV Coney - Average
JJ Crowe - Poor
VR Brown - Poor
RJ Hadlee - Great
IDS Smith - Average
MC Snedden - Poor
EJ Chatfield - Average