• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, the headline on Cricinfo: "Guptill, Styris take NZ to fighting 258"

They really love the "untalented, scrappy underdogs" narrative, don't they? I get tired of it pretty quickly.

vcs

The new ball will be tricky under the lights and India need to make sure they don't lose too many early wickets. Even 60-65 for 1 wicket after 15 overs will be OK, they can accelerate later when the dew kicks in.

vcs

I dunno, the phrase "fighting total" seems to be fairly apt here.. it's neither a match-winning one, nor a below-par one.

vcs

Why? The word "fighting" is used to describe the total, not the Kiwi side...

This is a surreal discussion. :laugh:

BeeGee

International Captain
NZ's first 4 batsmen all scored at a strike rate less than 70. The next 6 batsmen all scored at a strike rate greater than 90.
We're really missing McCullum and Ryder at the top of the order.

_Ed_

Why? The word "fighting" is used to describe the total, not the Kiwi side...

This is a surreal discussion. :laugh:
Indeed it is - my favourite kind.

But to me it implies there was a degree of application in our effort today that I think was actually missing - I refer you to Ross Taylor's dismissal in particular - and I believe that we really underachieved a bit and should be slightly disappointed.

'Fighting' sort of sounds like we gave it our all, left everything out there and did as well as we could have hoped to.

There's just a very slight possibility that I'm reading too much into it, but the consistent association of the NZ team and that word throughout the whole time I've been watching cricket has pushed me to (some may say beyond) the edge of sanity.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
Yeah if we had our full team

1.Ryder 2.McCullum 3.Guptill 4.Taylor 5.Williamson 6.Styris 7.Vettori 8.Franklin 9.Mills 10.Southee 11.Mckay

vcs

But to me it implies there was a degree of application in our effort today that I think was actually missing - I refer you to Ross Taylor's dismissal in particular - and I believe that we really underachieved a bit and should be slightly disappointed.

'Fighting' sort of sounds like we gave it our all, left everything out there and did as well as we could have hoped to.

There's just a very slight possibility that I'm reading too much into it, but the consistent association of the NZ team and that word throughout the whole time I've been watching cricket has pushed me to (some may say beyond) the edge of sanity.
Fair enough.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Weird that Southee hasn't bowled yet.

At this rate they're going to win by 10 wickets :/ None of the bowlers have really looked that threatening.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
And this thread is much quieter when the rest of the NZers are asleep... I don't know what I'm still doing up myself :/

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

yeah.. agree with that somewhat. There are a number of times when NZ players have underachieved given their talent, including with the bat during the test series here against India. It is not like they do their best everytime and it is not like if they beat someone it is because they played out of their skins. They are a pretty good team... and much better than most writers make them out to be.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Kholi's continuing his fine form. Ideal #3 once Sachin retires and Vir/Gauti start to open again.

Checkmate

School Boy/Girl Captain
Kholi's continuing his fine form. Ideal #3 once Sachin retires and Vir/Gauti start to open again.
Yea, wondering if he could make the full strength side for the WC. Doubt either Yuvi or Raina would be dropped for him though.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Yea, wondering if he could make the full strength side for the WC. Doubt either Yuvi or Raina would be dropped for him though.
If he continues like this and does well against SA (should he get any games) I think they will have to include him. I'm wondering what's gonna happen when Bhajji comes back. Is Ashwin still gonna play or no..