• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Woodster

International Captain
I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Indians play Vettori, no doubt they will see him as the main threat and may look to pressure him by being positive against him, a risk in a way because of the excellent subtle variations he possesses, or they may look at the rest of the attack and see enough weaknesses there so they can remain absolutely patient against Vettori.

Can see Vettori being economical without being penetrative enough to overly concer the hosts.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That's ridiculous.

My predictions:

Williamson to finally get a bowl when the game is dead and take three quick wickets to make people wonder what if.
Apparently Vettori plans to get 15 overs a day out of him and Ryder, so he should get a go pretty early on.

Athlai

Not Terrible
That's ridiculous.

My predictions:

Patel to take 1/100 in the first innings.
Ryder to get injured bowling.
Bennett to go for over 5rpo.
Martin to take 2 or less wickets in the match.
Williamson to finally get a bowl when the game is dead and take three quick wickets to make people wonder what if.

All of those could be solved by playing the best attack.
Tuffey?
Southee?
Arnel?
Vettori?

Woodster

International Captain
No, but Vettori and Greatbatch have made several statements that basically sets the team in stone:

McCullum
McIntosh
Watling
Taylor
Ryder
Williamson
Vettori
Hopkins
Patel
Bennett
Martin

McCullum WILL open, Bennett and Williamson WILL debut and Patel WILL play.
I am staggered with that line-up, think that is a major balls-up. They suggest that they want to use Bennett and Martin as strike bowlers, but that theory is heavily reliant on the spinners containing India, a very tough task. If Bennett is going to be used as a strike bowler, he should not have the daunting task of being selected with only one other seamer, it seems a nonsense. With a Southee in the side or an Arnel, Bennett could simply steam in and attempt to unsettle India, but now there is an expectancy that he has to focus on accuracy more so as they have no other seamers to turn to.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Really feck'd off that there's no Southee, especially given how well he bowled in his last test (which was on a pretty flat deck). The whole thing reeks of desperation.

Flem274*

123/5
Someone tell Bennett to steam in anyway. We can bowl Martin and Patel to injury.:ph34r:

Hope India attack Vettori. It will play into his hands and while they are awesome at dominating spinners and have a fair chance of pulling it off, attacking him is better for us than if they milk him.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I am staggered with that line-up, think that is a major balls-up. They suggest that they want to use Bennett and Martin as strike bowlers, but that theory is heavily reliant on the spinners containing India, a very tough task. If Bennett is going to be used as a strike bowler, he should not have the daunting task of being selected with only one other seamer, it seems a nonsense. With a Southee in the side or an Arnel, Bennett could simply steam in and attempt to unsettle India, but now there is an expectancy that he has to focus on accuracy more so as they have no other seamers to turn to.
Bennet shouldn't even be on the tour (at least for the test squad) in my opinion. India is no place for a young fast bowler to make his debut. The home series next year against Pakistan would've been the ideal testing ground, and it would've given us a chance to see how well his international experience in ODI's had transferred into results in domestic cricket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tuffey?
Southee?
Arnel?
Vettori?
I would've gone with Arnel, Southee, Bennett, Vettori and Williamson as the attack. If Bennett got hammered (possible, and even more likely now he's playing as one of two quicks) I would've given Ryder more of a bowl. He's a good backup like that. I definitely could've lived with Tuffeh in for Bennett too, particularly since he has a good record in India. He would've been my reserve quick. Martin wouldn't even be on tour TBH.

Woodster

International Captain
Bennet shouldn't even be on the tour (at least for the test squad) in my opinion. India is no place for a young fast bowler to make his debut. The home series next year against Pakistan would've been the ideal testing ground, and it would've given us a chance to see how well his international experience in ODI's had transferred into results in domestic cricket.
I am looking forward to seeing how he goes, as I've seen very little of him. Seems a very strange move then to have him as part of a two-man seam attack, if there is a feeling it is too soon for him. Needs the protection of an extra pacer in the line-up.

India is indeed a tough assignment for most quick bowlers, let alone such an inexperienced one. On a brighter note after he's experienced a couple of Tests here, he may find the livelier pitches in NZ a doddle to bowl on,

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
His last few First Class seasons have been pretty good to be fair. Much better than his overall record.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I would've gone with Arnel, Southee, Bennett, Vettori and Williamson as the attack. If Bennett got hammered (possible, and even more likely now he's playing as one of two quicks) I would've given Ryder more of a bowl. He's a good backup like that. I definitely could've lived with Tuffeh in for Bennett too, particularly since he has a good record in India. He would've been my reserve quick. Martin wouldn't even be on tour TBH.
Yeah I think that is a decent attack TBH. Though I do believe Jeets will do alright, I'm hardly expecting him to make much of an impact but I think he'll be able to hold the Indians back at times.

BeeGee

International Captain
No, but Vettori and Greatbatch have made several statements that basically sets the team in stone:

McCullum
McIntosh
Watling
Taylor
Ryder
Williamson
Vettori
Hopkins
Patel
Bennett
Martin

McCullum WILL open, Bennett and Williamson WILL debut and Patel WILL play.
Patel...PATEL???? What's the point? He's going to get slaughtered. If Patel is a better bowler than Southee or Arnel, I'll eat my hat.

If we bowl first, who bowls first change? Ryder? Hand the new ball to the spinners? Ludicrous!