• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
He's a good one day batsman. Really has no business being in the Test team yet though. It's not the same thing.
Yeah but whose better? NO SINCLAIR. People on here said the same thing about Ross Taylor when he first came in, hes doing alright now. And yeah I did allude to the fact that ODI is not the same as test, his test form isn't too bad atm, his ODI is.

The fact is he's definitely got the skills to perform at the top level, he just needs to learn how to build an innings and tbh I'd rather keep him in the team to have some sort of solidarity in the batting instead of just rotating the players like we do so well, the selectors keep getting criticized about there treatment of Sinclair yet we want the same thing to be done with Guptill, Flynn, Broom (maybe not this forum) etc.

Guptill is going to be a major component of our top/middle order with Williamson, Taylor, Ryder and McCullum in the not-to-distant future, can we please just stick with him? he's got the goods

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Tbf Taylor looked fairly abysmal on his debut tour of SA but then bounced back amazingly when it came time for his next run.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah but whose better? NO SINCLAIR.
PJ Ingram
CD Cumming
NT Broom
MHW Papps
LJ Woodcock
RA Young
AJ Redmond
SL Stewart
JA Raval
CFK van Wyk
PG Fulton
C de Grandhomme
GD Elliott
JM How
NR Parlane
DR Flynn
JAH Marshall
MD Bell
SR Wells
GR Todd
ME Parlane
BJ Watling
TI Weston
CJ Nevin
AK Kitchen
DJ Broom
J Austin-Smellie
AP de Boorder
BMK Patton
JM Brodie
JW de Terte
SJ Murdoch
PD McGlashan
BS Wilson
RJ Nicol

People on here said the same thing about Ross Taylor when he first came in, hes doing alright now.
Taylor had a much, much better domestic FC record than Guptill when he came in. He was averaging 37 or so. Not awesome but much better than the 26 Guptill has put in.

And yeah I did allude to the fact that ODI is not the same as test, his test form isn't too bad atm, his ODI is.
Haha, this argument has amused me before with Guptill. Live by the sword, die by the sword - he only got picked in Tests to begin with because he'd played well in one day cricket. He can't then complain if he gets dropped off one day form because, if they were separated properly, he'd have played a grand total of zero Tests.

There's no doubt he's talented, but he should actually do something in First Class cricket before he gets picked for Tests. He has a lot to work out in his game and domestic cricket is the best place for him to do that right now; not in the national top order.

Last edited:

NZTailender

Tbf Taylor looked fairly abysmal on his debut tour of SA but then bounced back amazingly when it came time for his next run.
That said, he's scored a half century and hasn't looked to be completely ****, so getting experience on a tour of India is highly beneficial, IMO.

NZTailender

PJ Ingram
CD Cumming
NT Broom
MHW Papps
LJ Woodcock
RA Young
AJ Redmond
SL Stewart
JA Raval
CFK van Wyk
PG Fulton
C de Grandhomme
GD Elliott
JM How
NR Parlane
DR Flynn
JAH Marshall
MD Bell
SR Wells
GR Todd
ME Parlane
BJ Watling
TI Weston
CJ Nevin
AK Kitchen
DJ Broom
J Austin-Smellie
AP de Boorder
BMK Patton
JM Brodie
JW de Terte
SJ Murdoch
PD McGlashan
BS Wilson
RJ Nicol
Now you're just exaggerating. James Marshall? The Parlanes? No Lou? Gagf

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
PJ Ingram
CD Cumming
NT Broom
MHW Papps
LJ Woodcock
RA Young
AJ Redmond
SL Stewart
JA Raval
CFK van Wyk
PG Fulton
C de Grandhomme
GD Elliott
JM How
NR Parlane
DR Flynn
JAH Marshall
MD Bell
SR Wells
GR Todd
ME Parlane
BJ Watling
TI Weston
CJ Nevin
AK Kitchen
DJ Broom
J Austin-Smellie
AP de Boorder
BMK Patton
JM Brodie
JW de Terte
SJ Murdoch
PD McGlashan
BS Wilson
RJ Nicol
Surely you are taking the piss with some of those, you tell me Guptill needs to go back to domestic cricket and prove he is good enough for international cricket and then go and say De Terte is better than him

Haha, this argument has amused me before with Guptill. Live by the sword, die by the sword - he only got picked in Tests to begin with because he'd played well in one day cricket. He can't then complain if he gets dropped off one day form because, if they were separated properly, he'd have played a grand total of zero Tests.
Apart from when I said he was part of the ODI world XI I am agreeing with you that ODI's and tests are separate, his test form is good, ODI nah. BTW what was Taylor's record like before he played a test

There's no doubt he's talented, but he should actually do something in First Class cricket before he gets picked for Tests. He has a lot to work out in his game and domestic cricket is the best place for him to do that right now; not in the national top order.
If we were Australia, I 100% agree with you, but we aren't, our top order is ****house most of the time, we should be investing in Guptill rather the just having stop gaps/Rotating door of Watling, Flynn, Broom and himself

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't see why Kumar Dharmasena has to check for a no-ball every time a New Zealand wicket falls.
Did it for both teams, it's become quite common now.

Anyone watching Neo Cricket? That post match analysis ad for that guy was absolutely hilarious.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Surely you are taking the piss with some of those, you tell me Guptill needs to go back to domestic cricket and prove he is good enough for international cricket and then go and say De Terte is better than him
De Terte's out-performed Guptill in domestic First Class cricket though; that's the hilariously sad fact.

BTW what was Taylor's record like before he played a test
Averaged about 37-38 in First Class cricket IIRC, which was below the likes of Fulton and Sinclair.. but not really anyone else at the time. Much better than Guptill's 26.

If we were Australia, I 100% agree with you, but we aren't, our top order is ****house most of the time, we should be investing in Guptill rather the just having stop gaps/Rotating door of Watling, Flynn, Broom and himself
Disagree really. Let him score runs first; make him earn it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The fact Guppy plays first class stuff on one of the flattest pitches in the country should also mean he has a far better record than that.