Page 233 of 513 FirstFirst ... 133183223231232233234235243283333 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,495 of 7692

Thread: *Official* New Zealand in India 2010

  1. #3481
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Above you
    Posts
    15,598
    Choosing when to use your referrals is under your direct control though.

  2. #3482
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,947
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Hilarious that the Indian team, of stand-by-jet-to-leave-Australia-fame, is so concerned that this technolgoy makes it a lottery instead of the status quo that caused them to.....you know, effectively end the career of an umpire and almost call of the tour.
    SS, Sanz knows why:

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Yeah, Referrals system in its present form is simply shifting the responsibility or blame from the umpires to the team asking for the review.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

  3. #3483
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,682
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    It's a lottery because even though the overall number of bad decisions have been reduced, the improved decision making doesn't necessarily benefit each team equally, which matters a lot in a sport where two teams compete against each other. In order for it to not be a lottery, you need to ensure that its reliable, and that it doesn't alleviate the injustices to one team more than the other, excepting for factors that are under their direct control to a reasonable extent.
    Does the current system without the UDRS benefit each team equally? No, because umpires do not make wrong decisions equally on both sides.

    With your argument, the whole concept of umpires is a lottery.

  4. #3484
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Choosing when to use your referrals is under your direct control though.
    Doesn't work in case of marginal lbw's that are indistinguishable in real time, but end up with different results on review. The batsman basically has to take a gamble on the decision to review.


  5. #3485
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Does the current system without the UDRS benefit each team equally? No, because umpires do not make wrong decisions equally on both sides.

    With your argument, the whole concept of umpires is a lottery.
    Won't argue with that. Umpires aren't prefect. The solution is to use technology more effectively, not in a half baked tokenism manner like currently.

  6. #3486
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,682
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Won't argue with that. Umpires aren't prefect. The solution is to use technology more effectively, not in a half baked tokenism manner like currently.
    Hmm. The idea is to improve decision making. Doesn't matter how it's done as long as there are more correct decisions made overall imo. Have a feeling this argument is going in a circle

    Back on topic, India v New Zealand: 'We believe in each other' - Harbhajan | Cricket News | India v New Zealand | Cricinfo.com

    Usually hate the **** out of Harby but he seems quite humble here

  7. #3487
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Above you
    Posts
    15,598
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Doesn't work in case of marginal lbw's that are indistinguishable in real time, but end up with different results on review. The batsman basically has to take a gamble on the decision to review.
    Then you're using your reviews wrong. They're there, primarily, to eliminate shocking decisions, not marginally wrong ones.
    If there's a practical way to ensure all decisions are made correctly then go ahead but as it stands at the minute reviewing every appeal isn't feasible.
    So make do with what we have, turning down something that improves the overall number of correct decisions because it's not perfect seems like an awful lot like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

  8. #3488
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,947
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Thats why every other team other than the team who was too stupid to use it right the first time is in favor of the system?
    Let's have a team benefit much lesser than their opposition, and you'll see the **** hit the fan.

    What is stupid about the lbw example, SS? The Indians aren't opposed to hot spot, you can't pretend they're afraid of asking to review nicks and edges.

  9. #3489

  10. #3490
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Then you're using your reviews wrong.
    For reasons beyond your control! Ergo, a lottery.

    They're there, primarily, to eliminate shocking decisions, not marginally wrong ones.
    If there's a practical way to ensure all decisions are made correctly then go ahead but as it stands at the minute reviewing every appeal isn't feasible.
    So make do with what we have, turning down something that improves the overall number of correct decisions because it's not perfect seems like an awful lot like cutting your nose off to spite your face.
    I don't buy that. If all hawkeye needs are real time co-ordinates and a program to extrapolate from them, lbw's can be decided in an instant. Just switch on the green light and overturn an incorrect decision immediately after the umpire raises his finger. That's it. If hawkeye needs more time than that, I don't know what for. I suspect the only reason we aren't already seeing that is because cricket views umpires as sacred cows. Symbolism and tradition rules.

  11. #3491
    International Coach Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,178
    They are cows alright.

  12. #3492
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Above you
    Posts
    15,598
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    For reasons beyond your control! Ergo, a lottery.
    No, it's perfectly within your control. Hawkeye is there to overturn bad decisions, not marginally wrong ones. If you hit the leather of one or get struck 6 inches outside the line, review it. If you think it was maybe a bit to high or might be hitting leg stump, stfu and don't whinge when it doesn't get overturned.

  13. #3493
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    No, it's perfectly within your control. Hawkeye is there to overturn bad decisions, not marginally wrong ones. If you hit the leather of one or get struck 6 inches outside the line, review it. If you think it was maybe a bit to high or might be hitting leg stump, stfu and don't whinge when it doesn't get overturned.
    It's not under your control to decide the fine line between a decision that was surely not out and one that could go either way. The batsman doesn't get to watch himself from the other end. He's probably in an even worse position to make that marginal call than the umpire giving the decision! You just have to watch the reactions of batsmen out LBW to know how much faith to repose in their own judgement. Like Sanz said, its just shifting the blame from the umpire to the batsman. Just have a universal review system in place and be done with it instead of playing mindgames with the players.
    Last edited by G.I.Joe; 08-11-2010 at 11:13 AM.

  14. #3494
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Yeah right, only one country is complaining.
    So how many still use it?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  15. #3495
    International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,862



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. *Official* Under-19 World Cup 2009/10
    By brockley in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 563
    Last Post: 01-02-2010, 02:40 AM
  2. New Cricket Web Feature In the Works...
    By James in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 16-04-2006, 07:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •