• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hamish Bennett - The next Shane Bond

irottev

U19 Cricketer
He's awesome though. See him nail Dravid in the head? Dravid's one of the best players in the world. That represents some pretty awesome skill right there. Plus he was economical and bowled really well I thought. Was ulucky not to get a wicket. For a first test on an unhelpful pitch he showed promise. Injury's the only concern.

Woodster

International Captain
After watching him play in the test.

1) I Am frustrated that he was picked if the selectors knew he was injury prone. I am sure he personally feels bad about this though.

2) He seems to like to try to bowl full pitched deliveries to top class batsman thinking he can clean bowl them. Gambhir is not going to miss a yorker if that is what he is trying to bowl. Next time you bowl please bowl just short of a good length in the corridoor of uncertainty.

3) Good pace.
Yes didn't he come into the Test witgh a question mark over his fitness ? Not as in he was carrying an injury, just that he's prone to breaking down ? If so, makes an even more ridiculous decision to play him with only one other seamer in a four-man bowling attack.

Don't think there's anything wrong with the odd full delivery, the yorker is not used frequently enough for my money in Tests these days. But it should be used pretty sparingly.

On the pace discussion, in his opening spell he displayed good pace, but thereafter his pace did drop quite a bit. I know in such opressive conditions its only natural,but it didn't surprise me when I saw how much effort goes into his action, and he charges in in his run-up.

Woodster

International Captain
He's awesome though. See him nail Dravid in the head? Dravid's one of the best players in the world. That represents some pretty awesome skill right there. Plus he was economical and bowled really well I thought. Was ulucky not to get a wicket. For a first test on an unhelpful pitch he showed promise. Injury's the only concern.
Head shots are not uncommon on tracks such as these where the bounce is unpredictable and invariably the ball doesn't get up as much as the batsmen expect, so they are likely to have to take one or two on the napper. Don't think there was any particularly awesome skill in it.

He did show promise though I agree. Injury does seem a genuine concern, he seems to put a lot of stress and effort on his body in generating his pace.

Chubb

International Regular
Are you from Timaru?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Dravid, atm, particularly defensively, isn't the player he was.