Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hamish Bennett - The next Shane Bond

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12 View Post
    Very slight resemblance, but that's all
    Looks more like Graeme Smith itbt
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Tbf his hair was different yesterday. Had the Bond floppy hair thing going on.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Bowling action is a spitting image of Kerry Walmsley's tbh. And I expect him to be about as good.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    Tbf his hair was different yesterday. Had the Bond floppy hair thing going on.
    This
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    Bowling action is a spitting image of Kerry Walmsley's tbh. And I expect him to be about as good.
    I think Bowling Actions are an accurate predictor of how good someone is.

That said I think he shows more promise than McKay.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I think Bowling Actions are an accurate predictor of how good someone is.
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I have just noticed that the very best bowlers such as Steyn and Asif have very fluid bowling actions. I like how fast Bennet is but his bowling action doesn't do it for me.

I hope for NZ's sake that I am wrong about his potential and that he turns out to be a winner.

Another bit of praise about Bennet just to make up for the criticism is that I thought he bowled very intelligently at the death. Bowling short to Bangers tail enders = two thumbs up.

There are exceptions to the rule btw - you can have a great action and not be great. I have always enjoyed watching Michael Mason bowl and think his action is super. He just seems to give up a four ball at the wrong moment. He is very nearly an international quality performer but not quite despite his action.

U19 12th Man
    agreed on actions mckay does have a good action but bennett is quicker and a lot younger and can hopefully improve a lot. i don't think there is any more left to mckay than what we got allready.

After watching him play in the test.

1) I Am frustrated that he was picked if the selectors knew he was injury prone. I am sure he personally feels bad about this though.

2) He seems to like to try to bowl full pitched deliveries to top class batsman thinking he can clean bowl them. Gambhir is not going to miss a yorker if that is what he is trying to bowl. Next time you bowl please bowl just short of a good length in the corridoor of uncertainty.

3) Good pace.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Gets injured as often as Bond.

He's awesome though. See him nail Dravid in the head? Dravid's one of the best players in the world. That represents some pretty awesome skill right there. Plus he was economical and bowled really well I thought. Was ulucky not to get a wicket. For a first test on an unhelpful pitch he showed promise. Injury's the only concern.
    Hamish Bennett's #1 Fan

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    After watching him play in the test.

1) I Am frustrated that he was picked if the selectors knew he was injury prone. I am sure he personally feels bad about this though.

2) He seems to like to try to bowl full pitched deliveries to top class batsman thinking he can clean bowl them. Gambhir is not going to miss a yorker if that is what he is trying to bowl. Next time you bowl please bowl just short of a good length in the corridoor of uncertainty.

3) Good pace.
    Yes didn't he come into the Test witgh a question mark over his fitness ? Not as in he was carrying an injury, just that he's prone to breaking down ? If so, makes an even more ridiculous decision to play him with only one other seamer in a four-man bowling attack.

Don't think there's anything wrong with the odd full delivery, the yorker is not used frequently enough for my money in Tests these days. But it should be used pretty sparingly.

On the pace discussion, in his opening spell he displayed good pace, but thereafter his pace did drop quite a bit. I know in such opressive conditions its only natural,but it didn't surprise me when I saw how much effort goes into his action, and he charges in in his run-up.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by irottev View Post
    He's awesome though. See him nail Dravid in the head? Dravid's one of the best players in the world. That represents some pretty awesome skill right there. Plus he was economical and bowled really well I thought. Was ulucky not to get a wicket. For a first test on an unhelpful pitch he showed promise. Injury's the only concern.
    Head shots are not uncommon on tracks such as these where the bounce is unpredictable and invariably the ball doesn't get up as much as the batsmen expect, so they are likely to have to take one or two on the napper. Don't think there was any particularly awesome skill in it.

He did show promise though I agree. Injury does seem a genuine concern, he seems to put a lot of stress and effort on his body in generating his pace.

Are you from Timaru?
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

Dravid, atm, particularly defensively, isn't the player he was.
    Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? – Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information