• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hamish Bennett - The next Shane Bond

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I thought I heard Danny Morisson saying that he was clocked in Queensland in the high 140's/low 150's during the EPT, so I would imagine that once he gets back to a more comfortable climate we'll see him bowling an extra yard faster. Other than the pace though, he was pretty much what I always imagined him to be. Big, strong, erratic and...kinda dumb. His ploy of bowling yorkers in his first spell was very odd, given a good back of a length would've been very challenging at his pace.

It'll be hard for him if he's picked in the tests against India. I would prefer if we waited and debuted him against Pakistan at home. But there's no doubt that a bowler with his pace and ability to swing it might be a useful player one day. Big might though.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
I didn't think he was meaning to bowl yorkers - just think he was over pitching due to nerves and not having that much rhythm.

With an action like that his accuracy and speed will depend very much on how 'in the zone' he is feeling. First ball 143k's - well once he is feeling comfortable he'll easily get much quicker.

Flem274*

123/5
I thought I heard Danny Morisson saying that he was clocked in Queensland in the high 140's/low 150's during the EPT, so I would imagine that once he gets back to a more comfortable climate we'll see him bowling an extra yard faster. Other than the pace though, he was pretty much what I always imagined him to be. Big, strong, erratic and...kinda dumb. His ploy of bowling yorkers in his first spell was very odd, given a good back of a length would've been very challenging at his pace.

It'll be hard for him if he's picked in the tests against India. I would prefer if we waited and debuted him against Pakistan at home. But there's no doubt that a bowler with his pace and ability to swing it might be a useful player one day. Big might though.
Wouldn't mind Bennett having a go at Sehwag with the short ball tbh.

Provided it's well directed at the body.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbf his hair was different yesterday. Had the Bond floppy hair thing going on.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I have just noticed that the very best bowlers such as Steyn and Asif have very fluid bowling actions. I like how fast Bennet is but his bowling action doesn't do it for me.

I hope for NZ's sake that I am wrong about his potential and that he turns out to be a winner.

Another bit of praise about Bennet just to make up for the criticism is that I thought he bowled very intelligently at the death. Bowling short to Bangers tail enders = two thumbs up.

There are exceptions to the rule btw - you can have a great action and not be great. I have always enjoyed watching Michael Mason bowl and think his action is super. He just seems to give up a four ball at the wrong moment. He is very nearly an international quality performer but not quite despite his action.

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
agreed on actions mckay does have a good action but bennett is quicker and a lot younger and can hopefully improve a lot. i don't think there is any more left to mckay than what we got allready.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
After watching him play in the test.

1) I Am frustrated that he was picked if the selectors knew he was injury prone. I am sure he personally feels bad about this though.

2) He seems to like to try to bowl full pitched deliveries to top class batsman thinking he can clean bowl them. Gambhir is not going to miss a yorker if that is what he is trying to bowl. Next time you bowl please bowl just short of a good length in the corridoor of uncertainty.

3) Good pace.