• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Playing for a winning Team

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Does it help a player perform better when he plays for a winning team ? I will use Tendulkar's example, His average under 3 different captains :-

Dhoni :- 81.33
Ganguly :- 62.80
Azhar :- 59.79

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Laxman has never been captain. Would be interesting to compare his averages under Sachin, Ganguly, Dravid, Kumble and Dhoni.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
G. I. Joe posted that Laxman averages 50 if you take out the matches where he was shoehorned in as an opener. That is a terrific record for a number 6 batsman, especially when you consider how crucial so many of those runs have been.

Slifer

International Captain
Does it help a player perform better when he plays for a winning team ? I will use Tendulkar's example, His average under 3 different captains :-

I think it has more to do with the fact that bowling during Azhars and Ganguly's tenures were probably better than they r now. I could be wrong just my thought.

biased indian

International Coach

where is the record when he was the captain

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
G. I. Joe posted that Laxman averages 50 if you take out the matches where he was shoehorned in as an opener. That is a terrific record for a number 6 batsman, especially when you consider how crucial so many of those runs have been.
Although that is slightly tempered by the consideration that Ian Bell averages over 50 at number 6...

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bell and Laxman do not belong in the same sentence at this point in time.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Few things,

This thread is not limited to Tendulkar. Please feel free to compare any player performance in a winning/losing team.

I used Tendulkar as an example because I was doing a stats project on him for my class and looking at his stats in detail.

tooextracool

International Coach
Has he really? I cant help but feel that you have low standards for "pretty ****ing awesome".

Hes batted like this before, what he hasnt shown in the past is the ability to score 100s consistently. And he hasnt showed that yet either

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
3 centuries in his last 17 innings....
Since his recall only Sachin, Sehwag, Jayawardenes, Amla and Sangakarra have scored more runs with a better 100s/Innings rate.

tooextracool

International Coach
3 centuries in his last 17 innings....
Since his recall only Sachin, Sehwag, Jayawardenes, Amla and Sangakarra have scored more runs with a better 100s/Innings rate.
That is great, except 2 are against Bangladesh. Performances against test class sides only please. 1 century in 7 tests since his return last summer. Thats the old Bell we know and dont love

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Runs are runs, India made hay against them as well.
Still, my initial point was slightly misinformed, though he averaged closer to 65 than 50 in the time period mentioned. I was wrong.