• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia 99-07

Xuhaib

International Coach
How would you rate the involved players in terms of importance and impact?

My rating.

1)Mcgrath
2)Warne
3)Gilchrist
4)Ponting
5)S.Waugh
6)Hayden
7)Gillispie
8)Langer
9)Lee
10)Martyn

I went with Mcgrath over Warne since I always thought the tone of Aus bowling effort was setup by him if Warne had an average game Aus might still bowl the oppo cheaply howevero n rare occasion Mcgrath had a bad game Aus struggled.Waugh sr and Hayden was a tough one but being one of the two captains I felt he deserved a top 5. Last 4 are interchangable depending upon personal preference.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think the top two are indisputable, regardless of how good a batsman Punter's been. I'd probably have Gilchirst third and then maybe the criminally underrated Gillespie fourth.

As for which order I'd put McGrath and Warne in? Tricky. Probably slightly lean towards the latter for what else he offered as a cricketer.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
If you count from the start of 99 to the end of 07, Ponting averages 64.38 runs in 91 Tests and 45.36 in 229 ODIs (including winning 3 WCs and two as captain). TBH, I think that just pips Warne.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How would you rate the involved players in terms of importance and impact?

My rating.

1)Mcgrath
2)Warne
3)Gilchrist
4)Ponting
5)S.Waugh
6)Hayden
7)Gillispie
8)Langer
9)Lee
10)Martyn

I went with Mcgrath over Warne since I always thought the tone of Aus bowling effort was setup by him if Warne had an average game Aus might still bowl the oppo cheaply howevero n rare occasion Mcgrath had a bad game Aus struggled.Waugh sr and Hayden was a tough one but being one of the two captains I felt he deserved a top 5. Last 4 are interchangable depending upon personal preference.
Tests

1.) McGrath
2.) Gilchrist
3.) Warne
4.) Ponting
5.) Hayden
6.) Martyn
7.) Gillespie
...the rest

ODIs

1.) McGrath
2.) Ponting
3.) Gilchrist
4.) Symonds
5.) Martyn
6.) Lee

Last edited:

vcs

I cannot rate Martyn highly enough for his contribution in Australia finally overcoming their weaknesses against spin, and hence conquering the subcontinent in '04.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If you count from the start of 99 to the end of 07, Ponting averages 64.38 runs in 91 Tests and 45.36 in 229 ODIs (including winning 3 WCs and two as captain). TBH, I think that just pips Warne.
Wouldn't make too big a play of his captaincy, generally. Has his moments, but overall not in the first rank of skippers.

&, as I said, he's been a great batsman, but there's not too much doubt in my mind Oz would've still been about 95% of the team had Mr Ponting snr not stumbled home from the boozer in the mood for lovin' sometime in March 74.

When you look at a lot of the batsman who didn't get a regular go for Oz til late in their careers (Lehmann, Katich, Hussey, etc) I think they'd have coped pretty well without him.

Don't think you could say that about McWarne.

Slifer

International Captain
Excellent post. Imo Oz still has a very good batting lineup thats not substantially inferior to ne thing they had since '00 but no doubt their bowling is terribly undermanned a ATM hence their obvious drop in results.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Thinking the time frame has something to do with it. For me:

1. McGrath
2. Warne
3. Gilchrist
4. Ponting
5. Hayden
6. Martyn
7. Gillespie

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Warne has to be number one because without his groundbreaking work there wouldn't have been the flood of quality legspinners coming after him in both world and Australian cricket, such as... er....

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Have you changed your opinion regarding Warne > McGrath or am I reading too much into this?
Well, this is with regards to the period between 99-07. Warne has another 7 years in the 90s that IMO tips him over McGrath. I think in this period McGrath was of more use to Australia as between 99-01 Warne was out of form or injured and in 03 was banned. In the other years, he was magnificent however. If it was just Tests, I'd find it hard to vote against my hero but fair is fair...in this period in ODIs and Tests McGrath was awesome. So was Ponting.

Burgey

I cannot rate Martyn highly enough for his contribution in Australia finally overcoming their weaknesses against spin, and hence conquering the subcontinent in '04.
India, actually. They'd won in SL before, Pakistan too iirc :)

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
India, actually. They'd won in SL before, Pakistan too iirc :)
They'd lost the previous test series in SL though, in 99, obviously. But yeah we had won there before in 92. 1992 was a long time between wins though.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Both tests and ODIs hey? Between 99 and 07:

1. McGrath
2. Gilchrist
3. Ponting
4. Warne
5. Hayden
6. S. Waugh
7. Martyn
8. Gillespie
9. Langer
10. Lee

robelinda

Well, this is with regards to the period between 99-07. Warne has another 7 years in the 90s that IMO tips him over McGrath. I think in this period McGrath was of more use to Australia as between 99-01 Warne was out of form or injured and in 03 was banned. In the other years, he was magnificent however. If it was just Tests, I'd find it hard to vote against my hero but fair is fair...in this period in ODIs and Tests McGrath was awesome. So was Ponting.

Bit harsh on Warnie ther e,people could take it that you mean for 3 years he was out of form or injured. he was only out of form in the WI in 99, apart from that he was fine until he got injured for the WI series 18 months later. plenty of series there where he was good, like the whole 99/00 season, the 99 tour to SL, and the 2000 NZ tour, and the Ashes 01 he was awesome. Bowled really well in the one day VB series in 00/01 too.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Bit harsh on Warnie ther e,people could take it that you mean for 3 years he was out of form or injured. he was only out of form in the WI in 99, apart from that he was fine until he got injured for the WI series 18 months later. plenty of series there where he was good, like the whole 99/00 season, the 99 tour to SL, and the 2000 NZ tour, and the Ashes 01 he was awesome. Bowled really well in the one day VB series in 00/01 too.
His ODI form between betwen 99-01 was certainly always good. 99 WC performances for eg along with those other ODI series you mentioned

But i'd have to agree with Ikki their with regards to his test form during that period.
Their was a noticeable decline in consistency from SCG 99 - Chennai 01. His flipper was gone, he would bowl more loose deliveries that was usual compared to his 1st 93-97/98 peak. With his two injuries during that period playing a major part in this.

robelinda

His ODI form between betwen 99-01 was certainly always good. 99 WC performances for eg along with those other ODI series you mentioned

But i'd have to agree with Ikki their with regards to his test form during that period.
Their was a noticeable decline in consistency from SCG 99 - Chennai 01. His flipper was gone, he would bowl more loose deliveries that was usual compared to his 1st 93-97/98 peak. With his two injuries during that period playing a major part in this.
I recall him bowling really well in SL 99, and in NZ in 2000, a few flippers at Cairns and McMillan in particularl. I remember him getting Ranatunga with quite a good flipper in one of the tests, maybe it was in one of the one dayers. Sure Warnie wasnt awesome in that period but not that bad at all. His ball that got Sachin out at the MCG test was a ripper in 99. Who can forget the killer ball that got Saeed Anwar at the Hobart test too that turned a mile.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
McGrath
Warne
Gilchrist
Ponting
Hayden

And then the rest. Ponting and Gilchrist easily interchangeable for mine though.

&, as I said, he's been a great batsman, but there's not too much doubt in my mind Oz would've still been about 95% of the team had Mr Ponting snr not stumbled home from the boozer in the mood for lovin' sometime in March 74.
Haha, **** I love your posting style.