Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Test match attendances in India

  1. #1
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131

    Test match attendances in India

    I've been watching the India - Australia Test series, and I noticed in Mohali, barely anybody was there, but in Bangalore, the crowds have been a vast improvement from what they were in Mohali. Is Test cricket not that popular there, or is it just a combination of that and being really over priced (I think Mark Waugh said that they charge a week's pay just to see one day of Test cricket )?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  2. #2
    International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    4,216
    Its the particular venues, Mohali is quite a way for people to get to in that area. The Indian here will tell you in better detail, but the popular grounds like Banglalore, Mumbai, Kolkata all love test cricket and will always attend. Australia should always get a Kolkata test but I guess there's just too many venues and not enough matches to go around.
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

    http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

    http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Is Test cricket not that popular there, or is it just a combination of that and being really over priced (I think Mark Waugh said that they charge a week's pay just to see one day of Test cricket )?
    Test Cricket is very popular and the tickets are not overpriced.

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    Its the particular venues, Mohali is quite a way for people to get to in that area. The Indian here will tell you in better detail, but the popular grounds like Banglalore, Mumbai, Kolkata all love test cricket and will always attend. Australia should always get a Kolkata test but I guess there's just too many venues and not enough matches to go around.
    True, although it never stops people from filling ODIs in Mohali.


  5. #5
    R_D
    R_D is offline
    International Debutant R_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,938
    I think test matches still get good crowds in Mumbai, Kolkatta, Chennai and Banglore and less so Delhi. BCCI should consider hosting test matches in these cities only.
    Play the ODI and T20's all around the country.

  6. #6
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,947
    Quote Originally Posted by R_D View Post
    I think test matches still get good crowds in Mumbai, Kolkatta, Chennai and Banglore and less so Delhi. BCCI should consider hosting test matches in these cities only.
    Play the ODI and T20's all around the country.
    Nah, I think adopt a carrot and stick policy. The centres that provide excellent crowds for Tests should be rewarded with more ODI's, while those with low attendances should be allotted ODI's less frequently. ODI's make a host more money than Tests, I think, and it wouldn't be fair to reward a centre for not doing enough for Test cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

  7. #7
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,936
    LOL Right. Like they're really going to piss off the associations that voted them into power by doing something like that. And give up the opportunity to punish associations that go against them (e.g, Kolkata)....
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  8. #8
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,947
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    LOL Right. Like they're really going to piss off the associations that voted them into power by doing something like that.
    You're a closet ODI fanboy!!

    Nah, you're right. I guess I got carried away and turned on by how iron fisted the BCCI were with the IPL franchises today.

  9. #9
    R_D
    R_D is offline
    International Debutant R_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,938
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    LOL Right. Like they're really going to piss off the associations that voted them into power by doing something like that. And give up the opportunity to punish associations that go against them (e.g, Kolkata)....
    hehe
    Yeah they will never do it but it rather wishful thinking.

    Another reason for low crowds in places like Mohali and Nagpur etc would be that grounds are 20-30 km away from city. There's probably not adequate public transport. Not to mention that in most of the grounds in India, you have to buy 5 day passes. There's no 1 day pass. In Mohali you have to buy tickets from some bank... apparently you can't get them at the stadium.
    I can see why people didn't bother turning up for most of the match.

  10. #10
    International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    2,258
    Yeah this is a big bugaboo of mine. There are five or six cities in India which consistently produce decent test crowds and yet places like Nagpur and Mohali keep getting tests which are played in largely empty stadiums. I think R_D's solution is logical: give the big cities all the test matches and give all the limited overs games to the other places. Everyone will be happier and test cricket will get the crowds it deserves. And while TV is the biggest source of revenue I think it's always more fun watching a game with big crowds in the stadium so it should boost TV audiences and revenues from test cricket as well.

  11. #11
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Isn't another reason for low crowds outside the non traditional test venues in India, due to the fact that you cant carry bottles of water & other beverages into the ground with you?

  12. #12
    R_D
    R_D is offline
    International Debutant R_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissector View Post
    Yeah this is a big bugaboo of mine. There are five or six cities in India which consistently produce decent test crowds and yet places like Nagpur and Mohali keep getting tests which are played in largely empty stadiums. I think R_D's solution is logical: give the big cities all the test matches and give all the limited overs games to the other places. Everyone will be happier and test cricket will get the crowds it deserves. And while TV is the biggest source of revenue I think it's always more fun watching a game with big crowds in the stadium so it should boost TV audiences and revenues from test cricket as well.
    These big cities still love ODI cricket so they should get some Limited overs cricket as well.
    But test matches should be reserved for these traditional cricket following cities only.

  13. #13
    Cricketer Of The Year Arjun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    8,380
    Hang on, people can't attend five days of Test cricket all the time! Adults have work, children have school, and we have better things to do than declare unofficial holidays for Test cricket! We have to earn a living, or learn what we need to learn.

    Some of the grounds are quite large, which may make crowds look small. Test match ticket prices are quite nominal, in comparison to ODI or IPL ticket rates, so buying them isn't an issue. Playing truant from school or work is.

    Moreover, television access is another factor. While you get a live feel at the venue, it's reduced spectacularly, and comes out of spectator response rather than the game, when it's at a large, packed venue. Television takes you straight to the tip of the bat or blade of grass, and gives you so many options that you don't quite get at the venue. Some grounds had giant TV screens, but some of them, like the Hede's Megavision, are not in working condition- maybe it's been brought back in action.

    The one funny thing is that in an advertisement for a television, Sachin Tendulkar (no less), said that people do anything to watch a cricket match- showing fans perched on trees, towers and terraces. He said that he can watch a match- in comfort- watching it on television. Not so encouraging for watching a game live, is it?
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

    Twenty20 used to be boring.

    Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

  14. #14
    International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by R_D View Post
    These big cities still love ODI cricket so they should get some Limited overs cricket as well.
    But test matches should be reserved for these traditional cricket following cities only.
    Well let's not forget the big cities get IPL franchises as well which most of the smaller places don't. So they get plenty of high-quality limited overs cricket with international stars. So I have no problem with restricting the limited overs internationals to the smaller cities for the most part. Plus I like the idea of restricting big cities to mostly tests because it would give an incentive to spectators to attend test matches if they want to see Team India. But I wouldn't make it a hard-and-fast rule and certainly you could have limited overs games in big cities during major tournaments.

  15. #15
    International Coach GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    12,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
    Hang on, people can't attend five days of Test cricket all the time! Adults have work, children have school, and we have better things to do than declare unofficial holidays for Test cricket! We have to earn a living, or learn what we need to learn.

    Some of the grounds are quite large, which may make crowds look small. Test match ticket prices are quite nominal, in comparison to ODI or IPL ticket rates, so buying them isn't an issue. Playing truant from school or work is.

    Moreover, television access is another factor. While you get a live feel at the venue, it's reduced spectacularly, and comes out of spectator response rather than the game, when it's at a large, packed venue. Television takes you straight to the tip of the bat or blade of grass, and gives you so many options that you don't quite get at the venue. Some grounds had giant TV screens, but some of them, like the Hede's Megavision, are not in working condition- maybe it's been brought back in action.

    The one funny thing is that in an advertisement for a television, Sachin Tendulkar (no less), said that people do anything to watch a cricket match- showing fans perched on trees, towers and terraces. He said that he can watch a match- in comfort- watching it on television. Not so encouraging for watching a game live, is it?
    Not to mention the Mohali ground looked like a concrete circle of hot death
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Qayyum's report
    By Xuhaib in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 08:25 AM
  2. Replies: 134
    Last Post: 29-12-2009, 06:01 PM
  3. CW XI Test History
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum Statistics and Records
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 29-11-2007, 06:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •